The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trainer as an indoor option... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210664)

a4racer 09-12-2017 04:27 PM

Trainer as an indoor option...

I've not had a trainer for more than a decade. Perhaps longer. The one I had was a pretty cheap (sub $150) unit, back when I had to decide between mag, fluid, something else as the choices in technology. I found that, once you get to speed, it wasn't very hard to keep to that speed / cadence. For that reason, I never really got into it as a legitimate option.

Now, I'm looking at one because, while I much prefer to ride outside, I frankly have time some evenings where I can't ride outside (too dark, too wet, I live on top of a massive hill), but it would be super easy to hop on a trainer and get 45-60m in. What is new in trainer technology? I know that there are lots of technology infused options now, and I like the idea of the trainers where you connect your bike to a built-in cassette on the trainer, as opposed to rubbing a training tire down on a cylinder...

I've also heard that rollers are an option, but I fear my lack of coordination would preclude those from being an injury-free option!

Things I'd love to see: compact footprint, cassette-based if possible, variable resistance, build quality. Oh yeah, I only have one bike now (wha???) so don't know what it matters, but my only ride is a disc brake bike (Trek Boone) which I'd be riding on the trainer.

Things I don't care much about: simulation--racing virtual versions of myself / others on a screen, heart rate monitoring (I know, I know--I just want to ride)

So, what trainers do you people recommend / use / like / don't like? I'm keen to hear your input!

Thanks!
:banana:

unterhausen 09-12-2017 04:32 PM

other than the fact that I over-trained this year, I think a trainer and a little discipline using it is a great thing. It's a lot easier for me to get on the trainer for an hour rather than go outside, especially in the dark. I have a lot of trouble starting a ride in the dark or in the rain. Don't mind riding in the dark or in the rain, but starting is a no-go.

My problem with over-training was related to maintaining a tough schedule on the trainer while doing a lot of tough rides outside. I'm using trainerroad, and not really tracking my training stress any other way. So it's hard to keep track. I'm pretty sure that if I had kept better track, I would have known it was going to happen.

I have a kickr, and I really like it

azrider 09-12-2017 04:45 PM

Before going out and spending $$$$ on some high zoot equipment, I'd buy something off local CL and see how much time/effort you're actually willing to put into it.

then sell what you bought for same price and invest in some 'spensive stuff

my .02

FlashUNC 09-12-2017 04:48 PM

Just got a Feedback Omnium. Mag resistance that's progressive, folds up super compact and fits whatever front mount you've got, even thru axle. I'm a big fan so far.

mavic1010 09-12-2017 05:33 PM

This is my first year really using a structured indoor program through TrainerRoad and having some fun with Zwift. Strangely, So Cal had a ton of rain in the winter, so it worked out perfectly.

I really enjoy my Kickr and its a great supplement for times when I just don't have the time to get a 90-120 min ride outside. Since I have TR, I have a few sessions that I load up and get at it. So my routine is in the summer/fall months I use my Kickr as a more of a recovery ride (very easy 30-45 mins 15-30 TSS). I use it in the late fall/winter/early spring as a way to increase my base build.

I've greatly improved my power and have enjoyed riding outside and inside.

DfCas 09-12-2017 05:47 PM

If you only have 1 bike I suggest you get a wheel on trainer. The direct mount type -sometimes- require that you adjust your rear derailleur or limit screws which means every frickin time you put your bike on the trainer or take it off.

If you can find a beater bike to leave on the trainer then I think direct mount is the way to go. Smoother and more realistic feeling than a wheel on trainer.

I have a Tacx Neo smart that I control with an iPad. I do famous euro races and climbs while watching the video on the iPad. I actually really enjoy riding inside now.

vqdriver 09-12-2017 05:54 PM

+1 on craigslist.
lots of people buy these and find it too boring to continue. i got my 1up from someone just like that.

a4racer 09-12-2017 05:59 PM

Thanks!

Lots to think about...the Feedback Omnium may tick the boxes for portability and relative inexpensiveness. I will also look locally first--thats a great idea! Keep the suggestions coming--i find them all very helpful!

Anarchist 09-12-2017 06:02 PM

I have a set of Cyclops (Sportscrafters) rollers with the High Inertia Drum and the resistance drum. You can seriously get any workout you want with these - the resistance goes up too insane and the high inertia drum lets you coast if you want to, to this add the fork mount for those days that I just want to watch something on Netflix - 1 device, all options covered.

thwart 09-12-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchist (Post 2232656)
I have a set of Cyclops (Sportscrafters) rollers with the High Inertia Drum and the resistance drum. You can seriously get any workout you want with these - the resistance goes up too insane and the high inertia drum lets you coast if you want to, to this add the fork mount for those days that I just want to watch something on Netflix - 1 device, all options covered.

This. Although I like the e-motion rollers.

And unlike a trainer it will make you a better cyclist. Not just a faster one.

Andy sti 09-12-2017 09:51 PM

I just did my VO2 workout on my Inside Ride rollers this afternoon. Air quality took a turn and kept me inside today. Stand up, sprint, high watts, and little safety rollers for when I space out - great training! Granted I can't set in Erg mode and just pedal but I can do any power based training I need to just by using my meter.

oldpotatoe 09-13-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4racer (Post 2232606)
I've not had a trainer for more than a decade. Perhaps longer. The one I had was a pretty cheap (sub $150) unit, back when I had to decide between mag, fluid, something else as the choices in technology. I found that, once you get to speed, it wasn't very hard to keep to that speed / cadence. For that reason, I never really got into it as a legitimate option.

Now, I'm looking at one because, while I much prefer to ride outside, I frankly have time some evenings where I can't ride outside (too dark, too wet, I live on top of a massive hill), but it would be super easy to hop on a trainer and get 45-60m in. What is new in trainer technology? I know that there are lots of technology infused options now, and I like the idea of the trainers where you connect your bike to a built-in cassette on the trainer, as opposed to rubbing a training tire down on a cylinder...

I've also heard that rollers are an option, but I fear my lack of coordination would preclude those from being an injury-free option!

Things I'd love to see: compact footprint, cassette-based if possible, variable resistance, build quality. Oh yeah, I only have one bike now (wha???) so don't know what it matters, but my only ride is a disc brake bike (Trek Boone) which I'd be riding on the trainer.

Things I don't care much about: simulation--racing virtual versions of myself / others on a screen, heart rate monitoring (I know, I know--I just want to ride)

So, what trainers do you people recommend / use / like / don't like? I'm keen to hear your input!

Thanks!
:banana:

Balderdash, if you can ride a bike, you can ride rollers..Get rollers..riding on a trainer is painful anyway..rollers help your pedal stroke and pass the time ohh so much faster..trainers make ya brain dead..:)

FlashUNC 09-13-2017 09:06 AM

If a compact footprint is your top priority, rollers aren't the best option.

AngryScientist 09-13-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2232891)
If a compact footprint is your top priority, rollers aren't the best option.

yea, and if knobbish tires are part of the one and only bike, rollers might be a little "bumpy"

a4racer 09-13-2017 12:41 PM

Rollers...

...rollers may slide nicely under my sofa (yes, I have a weird sofa), so I won't rule them out for compactness violations (some trainers are just massive and can't be similarly "hidden".

I should have also said that I'm not trying to (at this time) use these for much more than spinning the wheels and getting my legs moving (and hopefully some portions of my fat melting) away (whilst I eat Kettle Chips, just kidding). I'll look at some of those roller options. As for tires--good point, knobbies would be less than comfortable / quiet on rollers, but I've got two wheelsets--knobbies on Enves, and slicks on Bontrager alloys. Those would be perfectly fine on rollers if I went in that direction...