The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Canti brake fork chatter (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245229)

mistermo 12-04-2019 12:17 PM

Canti brake fork chatter

I have a new-to-me 60cm cross frame for cantilever brakes. I've hoarded cantilever cross forks and can build it with a few options: AlphaQ CX25, Moots, ENVE, Ritchey WCS, maybe even a Whisky. Some of these have the drilled out fork crown, where a cable guide could be used.

I've had fork chatter on previous canti cross frames (Reynolds fork) and would like to take every step to prevent it. Are any of these forks prone to chatter? Is the fork crown cable guide the most effective way to prevent it? Thanks

TunaAndBikes 12-04-2019 12:24 PM

FWIW I haven't had many issues on my Enve Fork.
Only time there was an issue, it was solved with toeing the pads and cleaning the rim.

David Kirk 12-04-2019 12:28 PM

A crown mounted cable stop will end the issue nearly every time.

dave

windsurfer 12-04-2019 12:39 PM

I have the Alpha Q cx25 and get some chatter with Avid shorty 6 brakes.

Most of the time I am on dirt. With dirty rims and proper toe it isn't a problem.

But, when I go thru water and then stop hard on pavement, it definitely gets my attention.

bfd 12-04-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermo (Post 2628312)
I have a new-to-me 60cm cross frame for cantilever brakes. I've hoarded cantilever cross forks and can build it with a few options: AlphaQ CX25, Moots, ENVE, Ritchey WCS, maybe even a Whisky. Some of these have the drilled out fork crown, where a cable guide could be used.

I've had fork chatter on previous canti cross frames (Reynolds fork) and would like to take every step to prevent it. Are any of these forks prone to chatter? Is the fork crown cable guide the most effective way to prevent it? Thanks

I think you have a couple of options to get rid of fork chatter. When I had a steel cross bike, I put on Suntour XC canti brakes. The rear was fine. But the front would chatter, squeal and shudder madly. I used kool stop salmon pads, no difference. Even after adjustments, it might work for a few rides, then revert back!

What solved my problem was my lbs sold me a cheapie Tektro 926al Mini-v brake for $20. Bargain! The brake worked perfectly as soon as I installed it! I never looked back and toss that crappy Suntour brake! Lol

Another option that I found out about later was I could have gotten a fork cable hanger for about the same price ($15?) which supposedly will stop the chatter, shuddering and squealing. It looks like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1AvU-WnjIL.jpg

Of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

GOTHBROOKS 12-04-2019 12:41 PM

i ride the same size frames and had awful chatter on my spec crux until i used the crown mounted stop. my amount of toe in or anything could solve it.
on the flipside, my enve fork without the crown mount hasnt had much chatter that i couldnt resolve with pad toe in.

DfCas 12-04-2019 01:01 PM

I would not consider a fork without a drilled crown.

Gummee 12-04-2019 03:09 PM

I haven't had too many problems with tapered forks and chattering. Straight 1.125"? different story.

I'll 2nd the motion of mini-Vs if you're not racing or riding in the mud.

M

zambenini 12-04-2019 03:16 PM

Mini Vs are good. I have Pauls. They aren't a panacea, but if they're set up right and the rims are clean, I notice no chatter.

I also believe the stopping power and modulation to be better than cantis, but I have only ever owned not amazing canties.

kingpin75s 12-04-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee (Post 2628397)
I haven't had too many problems with tapered forks and chattering. Straight 1.125"? different story.

This makes sense to me.

Canti brakes and a carbon or Ti steerer with the cable guide mounted between the headset and stem create a condition where the steerer tube flexes as you brake hard and creates the chatter in many cases. YMMV and all that but expect chatter with that setup and bonus if none.

Never had any chatter with a good steel fork and bringing down the stop below the headtube are both solid options.

jc031699 12-04-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 2628319)
A crown mounted cable stop will end the issue nearly every time.

dave

That’s all I would need to hear... IJS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeBike 12-04-2019 04:46 PM

Just a few days ago I installed a Tektro fork mount cable guide and It did indeed take care of the shudder. I still get screeching sometimes, and I hope cleaning the rims and pads will eliminate that. Avid Shorty 4 brakes.

DfCas 12-04-2019 04:58 PM

This problem is much more complex than just the fork. The top tube elongates which allows the fork to flex. All talk thus far is about stiffening the fork but that leads to a miserable riding fork. I'd rather have some flex in a fork so that it rides nice. Gunnar attached the problem by using a larger top tube and a 1 1/8 steerer, along with shortening the axle to crown. The real solution is a crown mounted stop.

kvnptrjhnsn 12-04-2019 06:13 PM

+1 for a fork mounted cable stop!

TBLS 12-04-2019 07:00 PM

Fork mounted cable stop fixed the chatter problem on my cannondale superx first time....never recurred.