The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   44mm head tube versus 1 1/8. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246245)

XXtwindad 01-09-2020 09:45 AM

44mm head tube versus 1 1/8.

I realize there might have been a thread on this before, so apologies for any redundancies. Contemplating the build for the last bike I'll every buy (for myself) It will most likely be a very light steel bike. Columbus Spirit, probably.

Does a bigger (44mm) head tube negate the weight savings of a lighter steel bike? I've heard that several times. I'm also aware that the conventional thinking is that is makes the bike much stiffer on the front end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Clean39T 01-09-2020 09:59 AM

If you're doing really oversized steel tubing (downtube) and a carbon fork, and looking for maximum stiffness, then sure, go with the 44HT.

But if you're going for a dreamy steel ride, get a sweet steel fork on there and keep the smaller headtube diameter and the other tubes more reasonably sized.

Check out AndySTI's Alliance for an example of a Spirit bike that splits the difference and looks the business.

XXtwindad 01-09-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2641621)
If you're doing really oversized steel tubing (downtube) and a carbon fork, and looking for maximum stiffness, then sure, go with the 44HT.

But if you're going for a dreamy steel ride, get a sweet steel fork on there and keep the smaller headtube diameter and the other tubes more reasonably sized.

Check out AndySTI's Alliance for an example of a Spirit bike that splits the difference and looks the business.

Haha. I know. Thanks. That was the inspiration for the steel bike. Also, his bike was the inspiration for my Ti All-Road bike. Np plans for a tandem bike, Andy? Good :)

unterhausen 01-09-2020 10:05 AM

steel fork or carbon? I wouldn't put a 44 ht on a frame built for a steel fork unless weight is no problem. I know people have done it, just my preference.

I used to really hate the look of 44mm ht, but now there are numerous tapered ht available that don't look bad

charliedid 01-09-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2641613)
I realize there might have been a thread on this before, so apologies for any redundancies. Contemplating the build for the last bike I'll every buy (for myself) It will most likely be a very light steel bike. Columbus Spirit, probably.

Does a bigger (44mm) head tube negate the weight savings of a lighter steel bike? I've heard that several times. I'm also aware that the conventional thinking is that is makes the bike much stiffer on the front end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It looks better with chubby carbon forks.

Stiffer schmiffer.

XXtwindad 01-09-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliedid (Post 2641625)
It looks better with chubby carbon forks.

Stiffer schmiffer.

What looks better with chubby carbon forks?

charliedid 01-09-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2641627)
What looks better with chubby carbon forks?

Sorry 44

FlashUNC 01-09-2020 10:30 AM

No need for a 44mm headtube with Spirit. Plenty stiff as is.

false_Aest 01-09-2020 12:09 PM

I'm going to assume that you're going with rim brakes.
If so, 1.125" is great.
If not, there is an ever decreasing amount of forks that are 1.125 disc.

Same with through-axle.

Mark McM 01-09-2020 01:56 PM

I doubt that a 44mm head tube adds much stiffness to the frame over a 1 1/8" head tube*. The reason is because the load paths between the headset bearings and the top tube and downtube are very short, with little of the loading passing along the length of the headtube. The added stiffness comes from the tapered fork that fits into the 44mm head tube.

*Unless the head tube is exceptionally long

Kirk007 01-09-2020 02:04 PM

Steel bike I'd go 1 1/8 particularly rim brake. I will say that I think my 333FAB ALS, which uses a tapered headtube, looks ok with the steel pipes but its also built to be a burly quasi dropbar mountain/bike packing 650b/47mm tire bike. I also think the endless quest for front end stiffness is over the top for most applications, starting with overbuilt carbon forks.

prototoast 01-09-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McM (Post 2641733)
I doubt that a 44mm head tube adds much stiffness to the frame over a 1 1/8" head tube*. The reason is because the load paths between the headset bearings and the top tube and downtube are very short, with little of the loading passing along the length of the headtube. The added stiffness comes from the tapered fork that fits into the 44mm head tube.

*Unless the head tube is exceptionally long

The stiffness doesn't come from the head tube itself, the stiffness comes from being able to use a tapered fork, and a larger diameter downtube.

joosttx 01-09-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2641641)
No need for a 44mm headtube with Spirit. Plenty stiff as is.

I would copy Flash’s choices. He got the steel bike thing dialed.

tuscanyswe 01-09-2020 04:13 PM

If not disc then 11/8 imo.

Themountaintop 01-09-2020 04:16 PM

As previously noted Spirit is a stiff steel, If you're going disc brakes then sure 44 is probably better. If you're going traditional you probably don't need the 44 diameter head tube.