The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who are you (and what do you look like)? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=146445)

Len J 12-10-2004 09:11 AM

Who are you?

Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Len
* where do you live? Eastern Shore of Maryland....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your handle D'uh
* explanation of your avatar The seat tube cluster on my Legend
* age (general or specific) 49 1/2 50's coming but I feel 25
* occupation Operating Partner for Private Equity firm
* favorite bike Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Ottrott, Legend, Lemond Buenos Aires, and Gunnar Street Dog Fixie. (Oh Yeah and a Sach's on order 50th birthday present to myself)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 56, western Tennessee 1988 too fast for me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500 I can only ride on weekends....I travel 5 days/week
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one...I'll see what i can scan
* make up and answer at least one additional question. The most unusual things that I get from riding are creative ideas for short stories. About halfway thru a 3 to 4 hour ride, I don't know If I get delireous, but I start conceiving complex plots for short stories. Some of my best ideas have come thsi way....talk about the miles going by fast.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm really a 72 year old retired librarian from Wook, Iowa who has not been outside in 12 years (oh sorry, that was the lie...or was it?)
* and, something fun. Biking from Fairbanks to Anchorage with my oldest daughter....what a blast.
* How did you find the paceline Forum?*

Len

Len J 12-10-2004 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len J
Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Len
* where do you live? Eastern Shore of Maryland....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your avatar The seat tube cluster on my Legend
* age (general or specific) 49 1/2 50's coming but I feel 25
* occupation Operating Partner for Private Equity firm
* favorite bike Serotta Ottrott
* what's in your stable? Ottrott, Legend, Lemond Buenos Aires, and Gunnar Street Dog Fixie. (Oh Yeah and a Sach's on order 50th birthday present to myself)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 56, western Tennessee 1988 too fast for me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500 I can only ride on weekends....I travel 5 days/week
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one...I'll see what i can scan
* make up and answer at least one additional question. The most unusual things that I get from riding are creative ideas for short stories. About halfway thru a 3 to 4 hour ride, I don't know If I get delireous, but I start conceiving complex plots for short stories. Some of my best ideas have come thsi way....talk about the miles going by fast.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm really a 72 year old retired librarian from Wook, Iowa who has not been outside in 12 years (oh sorry, that was the lie...or was it?)
* and, something fun. Biking from Fairbanks to Anchorage with my oldest daughter....what a blast.

Len

Isn't anyone else going to participate?

Len

Lifelover 12-10-2004 08:19 PM

Since I'm new

* real name, Greg
* where do you live? Virginia Beach....Flat & Windy
* explanation of your avatar Not sure how to make one
* age (general or specific) 39 1/2 40's coming but I don't care
* occupation Enginerd
* favorite bike varies by the minute
* what's in your stable? all glue factory canidates, Cdale 3.0, Cdale Beast of East SS set up for road use, K2 evo 4.0
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Don't know I don't have a computer on any of them
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not sure but very few compared to most on here. Maybe a 800 for the year. Hoping to triple it next year
* picture of yourself or your ride? I don't think so
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is the next bike you want to buy? Every Damn one I see. Is there a cure?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I won't buy another bike until my 40th B-day in August
* and, something fun. Biking with my 11 y/o and 8 y/o boys and sex with the wife (TMI?)

Greg

christian 12-10-2004 09:37 PM

* real name - Christian
* where do you live? - NYC
* explanation of your handle - yeah.
* explanation of your avatar - none
* age (general or specific) - 28
* occupation - Manager for Big 4 Consultancy
* favorite bike - Rivendell Rambouillet
* what's in your stable? - Rivendell Rambouillet, Specialized Sequoia, Pegoretti Palosanto (incoming Tues)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - 50ish, Fuschertorl, Grossglockner
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 4,000ish
* picture of yourself or your ride? www.christianedstrom.com or www.nycc.org ought to cough a few up.

vaxn8r 12-11-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len J

* real name, if you like Greg
* where do you live? Eugene, OR
* explanation of your handle guess, see below if you can't
* explanation of your avatar The lower ST on my Atlanta
* age (general or specific) 43
* occupation Pediatrician
* favorite bike Calfee Tetra Pro
* what's in your stable? Atlanta, Caad7, Merkx 753, Masi 3V, Lemond OCLV, Litespeed Classic, Davidson tandem
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 68, N. Kentucky 1988
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 6,000 by Thanksgiving
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I can get into a real (good) mindset when faced with a stiff headwind. I can suffer...probably from my 18 years spent swimming. 20 pounds ago I used to be a pretty decent climber, now a stubborn wannabe
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told ?
* and, something fun. Oregon coast ride in 1997 was pretty fun to have done....little too much traffic though. There are much better roads to ride in Oregon, though none quite as spectacular.

Len

shinomaster 12-11-2004 02:28 AM

too many questions....

Real name ...john Miller ( how dull)
Handle....I am a good shino potter. Shino is japanese pottery that i'm fond of
Avatar? the cyclocross series in portland is called the Cross Crusade. And I did my degree project on the Crusades, and I've been drawing Knights since I was a kid.. I'm a cross crusader... My mom is Turkish How Ironic...ha ha
I'm 30....****
Retail clown
I love my cannondale most, caad 4 with Record...also Serotta atlanta, fuji cross. Trek Mountain bike...
fun?? Going to art school in Boston...
Lie.... ha ha...that I graduated! ha ha????

Sandy 12-11-2004 07:57 AM

vaxn8r/Greg

Were you out of your mind? 68 mph on a bicycle? What did you do, fall off of a cliff?

I remember reading a recent post of yours, in which you mentioned that you were middle age or something like that. Now I find out that you are 43. What does that make me? Ancient?

Fossil Sandy

68 mph Wow! Double Wow! Triple Wow!

Weren't you man enough to do 70 mph?????? :) :)

Ray 12-11-2004 08:15 AM

* real name, if you like: Ray
* where do you live? Chester County, PA - between Philly and Wilmington, DE
* explanation of your handle: D'uh
* explanation of your avatar: head tube badge on my Riv - still my favorite ride
* age (general or specific) 45.6
* occupation: Transportation Planner - public transportation, bike, pedestrian specialty
* favorite bike: Rivendell Road - 1998, pre-custom. fits like a glove
* what's in your stable? Riv, Lemond Poprad, Rambouillet, RB-1, MB-2, Bianchi Limited Fixed Gear, others on order!
* fastest speed on a road bike? about 48mph. I was accellerating and would have easily topped 50 near Pittsburg, but too many riders ahead of me forced me to brake.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5000. Fairly typical year.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Got nothing
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why is there air? To blow up bicycle tires, of course.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - That bike only cost a couple hundred dollars, honest (told to wife)
* and, something fun. The descent into Robert Treman State Park near Ithica , NY. Great road, great curves, perfect grade. Too much fun!

dbrk 12-11-2004 09:25 AM

I should be grading term papers (see occupation) but this is yet another opportunity to do something other than that (see occupation)

* real name, if you like dbrk, say dee-bee-arr-kay
* where do you live? Bristol, New York, the Finger Lakes....Hilly & Windy
* explanation of your handle contraction of my other real name given to me by the University at the near-beginning of the Internet (not the one invented by Al Gore, the other one)
* explanation of your avatar It's cold enough here in spring to be Belgium anytime of the year and I was born in July and lions just hate cold but I do love it here...go figrue
* age (general or specific) 47, I feel alternatively 27 and 97 depending on the day
* occupation college prof, yoga philosophy roadshow
* favorite bike Rivendell, Mariposa, Singer, Herse, Sachs, Cooper, Pegoretti, Hampsten, Serotta...depends on the day but always a 650B would be first out of the door if the house were burning down or something...knock anywhere because the whole house is wood...
* what's in your stable? newest addition: Mariposas, racer and 650B tandem, incoming Rivendell Saluki!! Wooohooo!!!!)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? well over 60mph coming done the Keene Valley road near Lake Placid, bike was a Rivendell, solid as a rock, never a worry...well, sort of...
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Will never own a computer on a bike so I'm not sure...many,many,never enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? scary pictures of how ugly I have become in my middle age from the Tour de FingerLakes...'still picture myself svelte and young in face, neither being true any longner
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What would I do with myself if I didn't have an obsession (not too strong a word) with bicycles? I love my work, it's my life; I love my wife and kids and dog, the requisite "family first" that we all know is true and could not be more cliche, especially in America, but what do _I_ love for selfish me? I love bikes, especially randonneuse and cyclotouristes of the French style and I think about them, well, all the time...
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told Same as Ray's, see above...only many, many more times than Ray has...
* and, something fun. Biked hundreds of miles in India on a Hero Roadster:fenders, lights, swept back bars, like an old Raleigh only waaay worse

d[ouglas]br[oo]k[s]
that's how it came about, I think...but yoga students sometimes call me "doz" as in the yoga world's version of Ozzy, the slightly stupified once talented star gone to seed...

mavic1010 12-11-2004 09:46 AM

* where do you live? Border of OC and LA county in sunny southern cal
* explanation of your handle: some obscure wheel mfr in France combined with the b-date of an ex-gf
* explanation of your avatar: I guess I should get one...my project for 2005
* age (general or specific) 31
* favorite bike: Serotta CSI
* what's in your stable? Ben's ottrott ST, Kirk on the way, Sachs on the way
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 40+...don't remember where.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? don't know...but surely less than most. plus any number I put BlastinBob would call me a liar
* picture of yourself or your ride? Are you kidding? Too many pics of my bikes on this board...considering I go through a bike once a week.
* make up and answer at least one additional question. ?????????
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can actually climb
* and, something fun. I actually purchased more serottas than Dnovo in 2001

eddief 12-11-2004 09:58 AM

here goes...

recommended format-

* real name, if you like Eddie
* where do you live? Berkeley, CA - a nice place but would be heaven without all the f-ing cars. Marin is close and a beauty too.
* age (general or specific) 54
* occupation - Technical Trainer in Healthcare: Kaiser Permanente now implementing largest computerized medical records system ever done. Previously I was a career consultant/trainer.

* favorite bike: I've spent so much time in the last four years playing with bikes...I like my three just about the same: TST Titanium Stealth, Steve Rex custom steel with Ouzo, and Riv Rambouillet. Each different, each so fine.
* fastest speed on a road bike? I freak at 40.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2k
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I have never had another hobby about which I have been so consumed as these silly bicycles.
* and, something fun. Playin with sea turtles in clear, warm water in Kauai one month ago.

saab2000 12-11-2004 10:08 AM

Where do I live: Now in Leesburg, VA. Previously in Switzerland. Want to go back. Lost my job there and came here......

Explanation of handle: Name of the first airliner I flew. Saabs used to make commercial aircraft in addition to cars. The Saab 2000 is NOT a Saab 340 in the same way a Serotta Huffy is not a Murray is NOT a Murray.
Favorite bike: All of them have qualities. My Grandis is high on the list for its good handling.

Fastest speed on a bike: About 40 mph on the flats in some kermesse in Belgium. Was on Eddy Plankaert's wheel at the time. Downhill does not count, but did about 50+ in Switzerland. Raw speed is not what makes a good descender. Handling is it.

What is in my stable: Grandis, Strong, Anvil, Croll (3x), ITCA (obscure Swiss bike), Surly Cross Check.

How many mile last year? No Idea, but I estimate about 5000.

More later..... the battery on this computer will die any minute

oracle 12-11-2004 10:54 AM

d.b.r.k. :

is it all right if i continue to silently read your name to myself pronounced as "deeburk"? i added the vowels myself, as i have a habit of doing that when i see only consonants, but if it must be 'dee bee arr kay' , then so be it; i can live with that, and i will attempt to adapt to this ever-changing-sea-of-flux that we call a world.

love,
oracle

zap 12-11-2004 11:07 AM

zap only exist in servers. zap doesn't have a profile but top speed has reached the speed of light when traveling between computers and servers.

pbbob 12-11-2004 12:00 PM

biggest lie ever told:
rode my bike frequently from muncie to dayton while in college. one time got pulled over by the police for riding on the interstate near the ohio indiana state line. several weeks later rode to traffic court in dayton. I told the judge[acting as my own lawyer] the map shows you have to ride on the interstate in that area. it's the only way. Judge says you are right and suspends fine and court costs. The lie? I know other ways to avoid the interstate I just wanted to get there quicker and so road on the interstate shoulder for a couple of miles.

davep 12-11-2004 12:49 PM

* real name - Dave
* where do you live? Ft. Lauderdale, FL - flat, flat and more flat, And sometimes windy
* explanation of your handle -
* explanation of your avatar -Where I ride most of the time
* age (general or specific) - 44
* occupation - owner of a sailing school
* favorite bike - current fave is Pegoretti Fina Estampa
* what's in your stable? - Fina, Co-Motion Co-Pilot, Trek Y-Foil
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 45ish, a couple times
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,000 by year end
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - Alpe d'Huez wasn't really that hard

djg 12-11-2004 02:02 PM

Who, who ...

* real name, if you like: Dan (a name I like just fine).
* where do you live? Arlington, Virginia
* explanation of your handle: I used my initials.
* explanation of your avatar: we don' need no stinking avatar (actually, I'm just lazy)
* age (general or specific): 44
* favorite bike: tough call, but I think it's my Nag CT1
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Colnago CT1, and a budget Gary Fisher hardtail that doesn't get all that much use.
* fastest speed on a road bike? Dunno. Probably something a little nuts, back in college, in New Hampshire, without a computer.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Dunno, but it was pretty dismal. Two-year-old twins, what are you gonna do?
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have one handy, but I'll see what I can scare up.

Orin 12-11-2004 02:13 PM

* where do you live? Woodinville, WA - about 20 miles NE of Seattle.
* explanation of your handle: n/a
* explanation of your avatar: Myself at the top of Chinook Pass a couple of years ago
* age (general or specific) Let's see, what year is it... take a way the number you first thought of... 43.
* favorite bike: Depends on the ride and weather, but my old Koga-Miyata Full Pro refuses to be sold
* what's in your stable? Built up and rideable: Rambouillet, Legend, Schwinn Peloton (fixie), Koga-Miyata, cheap Specialized mtb.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? 50 ish mph dropping down the the Green River Valley in WA.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 6100 or so
* picture of yourself or your ride? See avatar.
* longest ride: 375 miles, 37 hours (an SIR 600k)
* fastest ride: 10 miles, 24:46 (back in the early 80s with non-aero gear)

Orin.

pale scotsman 12-11-2004 02:53 PM

* real name, if you like: Ian

* where do you live? Lower Alabama

* explanation of your handle: Golfing buds gave it to me. I'm pale and half Scot.

* explanation of your avatar: Hearts football club, Scotland

* age (general or specific): act 18, but I'm really 36.

* favorite bike: Legend Ti

* what's in your stable? Waterford 2200, Miyata, Paramount, Stumpjumper, and Legend Ti.

* fastest speed on a road bike? Hit 50 on an old Kabuki with an analog speedo in the early 80's. Lucky to still be alive.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? No idea, my Vetta RT88 died in the spring and haven't used a computer since.

* picture of yourself or your ride? There's one of me in drag for a womanless beauty pageant for the American Cancer Society on here somewhere. Found it, http://forums.thepaceline.net/attach...ntid=523&stc=1

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - She's only a friend.

PBWrench 12-11-2004 03:12 PM

* where do you live? Minneapolis, Minnesota
* explanation of your handle : Short for Peanut Butter Wrench, old Campy tool used to remove cotterless crank and spread Skippy.
* explanation of your avatar: 1/2 a PB Wrench
* age (general or specific) 46
* favorite bike : depends on my daily karma
* what's in your stable? Legend Ti, Colnago C40, Litespeed Obed, restored 70's Raleigh Professional
* fastest speed on a road bike? About 50, going down La Sal in Moab
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 3300 -- our season is 7 months at best
* picture of your ride? There are pictures of the Legend and Raleigh in the galleries
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why do I love bikes so much? "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round; I really love to see them roll."
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told "I can really feel the ride difference these carbon water bottle cages make!"*

Jeff N. 12-11-2004 04:27 PM

Live: San Diego, California. Another ho-hum day in paradise.

Handle: You know.

Avatar: BB cluster on my Moots Vamoots. The Chargers going to the Super Bowl this year.

Favorite bike: Probably my Holland Ti. It just agrees with me.But I love ALL my fine machines. And I ride 'em all, just like Hugh Hefner.

Stable: Litespeed Team Issue,Serotta Legend Ti, Seven Axiom Ti, Seven Axiom Steel, Holland Ti, Moots Vamoots, Dean El Diente(why would a company name their bike "The Tooth"? never have figured that out), Airborne Zeppelin, Quintana Roo Borrego(their last road geometry frame), 'Dale CAAD-4, 'Dale R-700 (old TT), 'Dale RT-1000 tandem. Hmmm...I think thats it.

Fastest: 55MPH, going down Hwy 8 West out of Descanso a few years back.

Miles per year: around 6 grand I suppose. Maybe a little less.

Picture: Nope. No have.

Extra question: Do you keep a loaded Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver handy in case there may be purps who try to break into your house and steal your belongings? Are you a great shot? Are you a light sleeper?: Yes, yes and yes.

Biggest lie: "No, babe! I got that bike years ago. You just never noticed it before, I guess." :beer:

Jeff N.

Bruce K 12-11-2004 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
live: Gloucester, MA (a coastal community north of Boston)
handle: obvious
avatar: our Mini Cooper S on a Mini Owners Rally with my son, Jesse
Occupation: part owner of a steel fabricating and erecting company - third generation family business
Favorite bike: My Ottrott ST
stable: Ottrott ST, Concours, Cannondale R1000 Aero TT bike, Cannondale XR800 cross bike, Santa Cruz Superlight MTB (currently up for sale)
fastest: 45 mph on a descent during a Pan-Mass Challenge somewhere south of Boston
Miles per year: in 2004: 3100 road/TT and 350 cross
picture:
(I know it's cross, but it's the best bike picture I've got)

Smiley 12-11-2004 05:06 PM

Shino , why did you have to tell us your real name , you ruined it for me , you were a mystery man to all of us , like Cosmo Kramer .

coylifut 12-11-2004 05:22 PM

* real name, if you like: Terry Keele
* where do you live? Portland OR area
* explanation of your handle: Choy - Choy Fok, Li - Li Yau San, Fut - meaning Buddha. A Northern and Southern Kung-Fu system developed in the early 1800s.
* explanation of your avatar: guess I need one of those
* age (general or specific): 41
* favorite bike: Ti Spectrum
* what's in your stable? Ti Spectrum, Merckx Corsa, Kelley SS cross rig, Kona Cross bike, Specialized hard-tale, 80s Trek fixe, Guerciotti track bike (on loan).
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 52 down Bald Peak in the draft of someone much heavier than me
* how many miles ON THE ROAD: Just turned 9k
* picture of yourself or your ride? a few in the gallery
* make up and answer at least one additional question:What got you back into cycling? Re hab for a dislocated hip.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: Dude, I didn't hit that guy, he must be narcoleptic.
* and, something fun. Won the Can-Am Open (San Shou Division) at the age of 38.

surfbikeswim 12-11-2004 07:19 PM

new guy intro

* where do you live? Suffolk County,Long Island, NY

* explanation of your handle: Things I like to do listed in order. Thinking of starting to do triatlons but wish there was a triathlon with surfing instead of running.

* age (general or specific): 39.

* favorite bike: Atlanta that I just got from dbrk (well the frame & fork are my favorite - it isn't built up yet)

* what's in your stable? Atlanta, Bianchi Veloce, Specialized Stumpjumper.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 1600

Ian

Ti Designs 12-11-2004 07:20 PM

Well, as my first post on this forum, here goes...

Name: Ed - can't remember anything longer than two letters.
Where I live: Arlington MA (just outside of Boston)
explanation of my handle: I do a bit of custom work in titanium...
explanation of my avatar: Ain't got one - I'm saving up, maybe next year.
Mental age: 4.
favorite bike: I keep returning to my Peter Mooney custom race bike - it's kinda heavy and it's 16 years old now. Some day I'll find something I like as much.
What's in my stable: A small fleet of Peter Mooneys, a broken Seven, a Surley steam roller, a Ritchey Skyliner tandem, an old Fat Chance mountian bike, a new IF mountain bike, and about 25 other bikes that I raced on and just can't bring myself to sell.
Fastest speed on a bike: That would be cheating, I have a 58T chainring on the tandem. I stopped looking down at 70 going down Kinsman notch in NH.
How many miles on the road: Probably about 8,000.
Picture of myself on a ride. I'm way too ugly to be photographed.
Make up an answer to at least one additional question: 42.
The biggest lie I've ever told: Lines 6 thru 21 on last year's tax returns.
And something fun: Full moon rides, we ride out to the top of some hill, build a small fire and make smores. Most people come just to watch me lug a trailer with all the supplies (including the big bag of matchlight charcoal) up the biggest hill we can find on my fixed gear.

Bill Bove 12-11-2004 07:21 PM

Name: Bill Bove
Explain your handle: I can't, my parents made it up.
My avitar: The shop cat, Whitey, in full sprint mode.
The stable: Ridable- Legend Ti, two Colorado Al's, Nova Special X. An Atlanta to be built up soon. Projects to get around to: Fat Chance Wicked Light, Paramount (Waterford built) mountain bike. One I'd like to have: Peg Fina someday.
Fastest speed: 60's descending but that shouldn't count, 40 in meaningless county line sprint.
Miles: Around 10K
Biggest lie: Anytime I said "thank you, sir" when I was in the Air Farce.

gasman 12-12-2004 12:14 AM

C'mon people lets hear from others, don't worry we won't bite.Sandy might but we won't. :D
I bet there is a pretty eclectic mix on this board, let's hear about you.

RABikes2 12-12-2004 12:47 AM

I am totally impressed with HOW MANY bikes each of you own.

M_A_Martin 12-12-2004 01:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
* real name, if you like: Mary Ann...and "Ginger" if you don't like that.

* where do you live? Ferndale, MI. For those of you who don't want to mapquest just think of it as "somewhere in the greater metropolitan Detroit area", and about a mile away from 8 mile...no...I haven't seen the movie.

* explanation of your handle: M. SPACE A. hmmmm, both initials and nickname...I'm not your mom so don't call me "ma". I never pretend, but since I'm posting here people who haven't been around the board for a while think I'm a guy...imagine that!

* explanation of your avatar: My beloved CSI. I don't own it anymore, but I did love it.

* age (general or specific): 40 (specific enough? My birthday was November 17th, did you call? did you send me a present? No!!!? What kind of friend are you?)

* occupation: Technical Writer - Marketing. Some would call that a copywriter but I write original stuff...human resources can't make the leap.

* favorite bike: My beautiful Kirk Terraplane!

* what's in your stable? Kirk Terraplane, Bianchi EV2, Bianchi Eros, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Bridgestone X-04, Schwinn Continental (mint green cruiser) and a cute little Bianchi folding bike. Hmmmm...I'm happy to say that I've rehomed some bikes. Anyone interested in the EV2? RA...I'm cutting down...there used to be 9 on the list...

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 115 or so, I-275, 1997? I was just cruising along by myself on a beautiful summer night at 3am and realized I was going stupid fast...OH you mean on a road bike with pedals! Solo bike: 52.5 mph on a curvy descent in northern Michigan (those are pedals, not foot rests!) Tandem: 55, similar area. On the flats solo? I could stick at 28mph (NOT average...) fairly consistantly in September of 2000.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1780

* picture of yourself or your ride? At the bottom of the post...I thought it was neat that the park service painted a sign to match. How thoughtful!

* make up and answer at least one additional question. 5

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "I can't ride, but I think I can walk." (This fall when crashed my Yo Eddy and tore my MCL/LCL/ACL and meniscus...I should have insisted on a rescue squad to come and carry me out)

* and, something fun: What I did for entertainment *last* year while recovering from knee surgery...an old schwin, 700 lights, and lots of tape, a few zip ties, and viola! A holiday decoration! (How many of you remembered to pick up an old bike to do this to this year?)

EPOJoe 12-12-2004 01:47 AM

* real name, if you like Joe
* where do you live? Northern California foothills....Nice combination of gentle rollers and nasty climbs
* explanation of your handle Nickname given to me by my (mostly) out of shape riding buddies who refuse to believe I can drop them so easily without the use of chemical aid.
* explanation of your avatar It has something to do with reaching an ultimate state of enlightenment
* age (general or specific) 41
* occupation Professional eBay’r/Societal drop out. If I can’t be a rock star, I’m taking my ball and going home...
* favorite bike Constantly varies
* what's in your stable? Legend Ti, Trek OCLV, Vintage early ‘80’s Olmo
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Forty something on a descent from El Dorado Hills
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not nearly enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? I had one, but I emailed it to Vintage Velos for a free pair of socks. They never emailed it back ;)
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Q: What, exactly, did Nicole Kidman do to prompt Tom Cruise to file for divorce? A: I don’t know, but I swear it had nothing to do with me. I swear.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? See previous question
* and, something fun. Bass player, singer, song writer, engineer & producer with a Rock band for going on twenty-something years.

Bradford 12-12-2004 07:51 AM

* where do you live? Rhode Island on the Mass border
* explanation of your handle: Middle name
* explanation of your avatar: For those of us who have waited our whole lives and to see the Sox win the series
* age (general or specific): 38
* favorite bike: Co-Motion tandem
* what's in your stable: Legend ST, Co-Motion Tandem, Independent Fabrications Independence, IF Steel Crown Jewel, Trek 1400, Specialized Stump Jumper
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 54, North Eastern Conn., 2002
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 3,500
* picture of yourself or your ride? You can see it http://www.co-motion.com/brochure.html. My wife and I are on the cover of the 2005 Co-Motion catalog
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Best ride I've ever taken: Missoula Montana to Steamboat Springs CO. Down the rockies through Yellowstone. Get yourself a touring bike and hit the road for a few weeks, you will love it
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm too dumb to lie and get away with it.
* and, something fun: See picture above. My wife and I rode from our wedding on our tandem while the church organist played Daisy

equipoised 12-12-2004 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
* where do you live? Cascade, MI (near Grand Rapids in Western MI).
* explanation of your handle: It means in balance or equilibrium.
* explanation of your avatar: I like the blurry pic.
* age (general or specific): 50.
* favorite bike: Ottrott ST.
* what's in your stable: Ottrott ST, Lemond Maillot Jaune, and a Bianchi Milano cruiser.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 47, downhill in the neighborhood (with a 35 mph speed limit - hoping for a speeding ticket to frame). 36 mph on the flats.
* how many miles on a road bike last year? About 2000.
* picture of your ride? Below. As to head tube height, so I'm tall.
* make up and answer at least one additional question: Dumbest thing ever done on a bike? When I was 5 years old, riding downhill, around a corner, no handed, holding 2 ice cream cones. Woke up in hospital, covered with a green sheet with a hole for my chin, while the doc was stitching said chin.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: "I can ride downhill, around a corner, no handed, while holding 2 ice cream cones! Watch this!"

Elefantino 12-12-2004 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
* real name Mike
* where do you live? Jacksonville Florida's Alps
* explanation of your handle Homage to Marco
* explanation of your avatar Me, caught napping atop Col de la Ramaz
* occupation Newspaper editor
* favorite bike The next one ... (shh. don't tell the wife)
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, DeBernardi SLX
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 51 mph, Sebastopol, Calif., 1992 (the mindless years)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5,200 last year, down to just over 4,300 this year with two weeks left
* picture of yourself or your ride? ride after this morning's outing, below
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is your quest? I seek the grail. And flat hills.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? This is the biggest lie I've ever told.
* and, something fun When I got my first "Allez! Allez!" by winning a bunch sprint under the banner at Bailly-aux-Forges last year. I may have hit 26 on the top end.

dirtdigger88 12-12-2004 11:37 AM

real name jason
* where do you live? St. Louis Mo
* explanation of your handle :I am a landscaper- hence I dig in dirt
* explanation of your avatar: I liked it.
* occupation :Regional Manager of a commercial grounds maintence co.
* favorite bike The next one ... (shh. don't tell the wife)
* what's in your stable? Lemond Zurich, Serotta Legend, Specialized FSR
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 69.8 mph, This summer in So. Missouri I just cannot seem to hit 70. I can do 55 no handed easily
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 5000 last year, down to just over 3000 this year with two weeks left (we had a baby this year)
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? I will never buy another bike

jerk 12-12-2004 12:14 PM

real name: you can't trick the jerk....senor jerk, or meneer jerk or mr. jerk
* where do you live? boston ma
* explanation of your handle :the jerk is a jerk.
* explanation of your avatar: it's mrs. jerk
* occupation :opinionated nuisance with some semblence of bicycle knowledge, washed up bike racer who never really wuite made it, freelance journalist and an idiot who spends way to much time hanging out around bikes..
* favorite bike: either the c50 or the spx merckx kermesse bike
* what's in your stable? 1919 peerless speed record bike, holdsworth fixed gear, serotta csi fillet brazed match sprint bike, pegoretti mountain bike, old cyfac/mbk team bike the jerk never gave back, spx merckx kermesse bike, some sc61.10 merckx kermesse bike with a really low bb and a really steep head angle and strange fork rake making for a super tight front center and a bike that sucks to ride unless you are actually in a kermesse, big orange mx leader, and the c50. still waiting for the ble.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? don't really know. doesn't really matter...the jerk lives in the flat land of eastern massachusetts and previously in the even flatter land of belgium....now a days on a good day the jerk averages 22-23mph.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? all of them.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? the jerk is always right...

Banjers51 12-12-2004 12:39 PM

Who am I?

* where do you live? NE Connecticut
* explanation of your handle: Once owned 32 banjos, or "banjers" as my uncle called them
* age (general or specific): 53
* occupation: college prof and sometimes musician (guess what I play)
* favorite bike: depends on the day/ride
* what's in your stable? Concours Ti, Atlanta, early '70s Club Special; Ibis Spanky; Riv Atlantis; Jamis Nova commuter/beater
* fastest speed on a road bike? A friend clocked us at 52 coming down the Grand Mesa in Colorado a couple of years ago; doubt that I've ever gone faster than that.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Don't have a computer on anything, but probably between 5K and 6K.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't have one that I'm aware of
* make up and answer at least one additional question. My dream ride/adventure: cycling from Tromsø, Norway to the Kola Peninsula; love that region of the world.
* and, something fun. As much as I enjoy cycling, I probably have the most fun playing and singing music with my wife and daughter.

ShockTreatment 12-12-2004 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
* where do you live? Alexandria VA
* explanation of your handle: from the Ramones song, "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment"
* explanation of your avatar Ramones first album cover
* age (general or specific) 49
* favorite bike: Tomasso SL fixed gear
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Serotta track, Mercier 300, Cinelli Speciale Corsa, Cinelli pista, Ridley Crosswind, Rickert, Specialized Stumpjumper.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38 in a flat sprint (Hains Point, Washington DC), 52 downhill (Wolfsville MD)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5-6k (no computer)
* picture of yourself or your ride? T-town, 2000
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told About my age, that I was younger than I am.
* and, something fun. Playing guitars in my childhood friend's band "The Pathetics"

coylifut 12-12-2004 01:29 PM

you got street cred

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShockTreatment
* where do you live? Alexandria VA
* explanation of your handle: from the Ramones song, "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment"
* explanation of your avatar Ramones first album cover
* age (general or specific) 49
* favorite bike: Tomasso SL fixed gear
* what's in your stable? Serotta CSi, Serotta track, Mercier 300, Cinelli Speciale Corsa, Cinelli pista, Ridley Crosswind, Rickert, Specialized Stumpjumper.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 38 in a flat sprint (Hains Point, Washington DC), 52 downhill (Wolfsville MD)
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? about 5-6k (no computer)
* picture of yourself or your ride? T-town, 2000
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told About my age, that I was younger than I am.
* and, something fun. Playing guitars in my childhood friend's band "The Pathetics"

it's the black socks

ShockTreatment 12-12-2004 01:45 PM

black sox

Yea, I beat that other guy, who was wearing white socks.