The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rain Jackets - Anything New? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=240153)

johnmdesigner 07-19-2019 07:53 AM

Rain Jackets - Anything New?

I had a Clima Jet from Assos for years but the outer coating has degraded and it's now a sticky gooey mess.
I see that their latest offering is selling for $350.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

dem 07-19-2019 08:21 AM

Everyone who has a jacket built with goretex shakedry will say 'shakedry' and everyone who has never used one will recommend something else.

So.. shakedry. :)

simonov 07-19-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem (Post 2568057)
Everyone who has a jacket built with goretex shakedry will say 'shakedry' and everyone who has never used one will recommend something else.

So.. shakedry. :)

Yep. Shakedry. Period.

Unless you want to get something else until you eventually decide to try shakedry. Then you'll also recommend shakedry. It's one of the few pieces of gear I've ever bought that actually lives up to, or maybe even surpasses, expectations.

tony_mm 07-19-2019 09:12 AM

+1 on the Shakedry!

johnmdesigner 07-19-2019 10:32 AM

Any difference in fit or feel between the C5 and C7?

pdmtong 07-19-2019 12:16 PM

C5 for $190...
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/g...kgRGVhbDoxOjE6
C7 for $80

dont be too picky on colour

72gmc 07-19-2019 12:25 PM

Is anyone offering a shakedry jacket outside of the "invisible pedestrian" colourway?

simonov 07-19-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmc (Post 2568211)
Is anyone offering a shakedry jacket outside of the "invisible pedestrian" colourway?

That muddy color is what makes it work so well. I suggest pairing it with a Christmas tree's worth of taillights.

muz 07-19-2019 03:17 PM

+1 on ShakeDry. I ride brevets in all kind of weather (like 24 hours of rain), and own rain jackets of just about every material (eVent, Gore PacLite, Gore ActiveShell, Assos, etc). ShakeDry is in a class by itself, completely waterproof and yet breathes so well condensation is not an issue. It also easily fits in a jersey pocket.

tristan 07-19-2019 04:09 PM

It's impossible to describe how good Shakedry is to someone. It's not a *little* better than other jacket materials, it's a massive step better.

The only downside is it's currently only produced in Drizzle-grey or Ninja-black but that will change with time.

I've got a Gore C7 which is a great 3-season jacket and it packs down to the size of an innertube. I've also got a Castelli Idro Pro2 with stretch panels and pockets - a great jacket for when it's raining as you leave the house.

sonicCows 07-19-2019 04:49 PM

I read up a bit on the ShakeDry technology, and Columbia has something similar called OutdryEx. Both of these technologies have the waterproof membrane layer directly outward facing instead of behind a more durable (but non-waterproof) protective layer.

The ShakeDry does seem to be lighter, but less durable. For cycling and running applications it should be fine, but if you expect to be going through any brush or rocks perhaps OutDry could be better. If everyone's raving about these though I feel very compelled to try them out.

Dino SuegiĆ¹ 07-19-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicCows (Post 2568385)
I read up a bit on the ShakeDry technology, and Columbia has something similar called OutdryEx. Both of these technologies have the waterproof membrane layer directly outward facing instead of behind a more durable (but non-waterproof) protective layer.

The ShakeDry does seem to be lighter, but less durable
. For cycling and running applications it should be fine, but if you expect to be going through any brush or rocks perhaps OutDry could be better. If everyone's raving about these though I feel very compelled to try them out.

I had never heard of ShakeDry. Does what you wrote mean a ShakeDry/OutDry jacket would wear much more quickly if used with Camelbacks, packs, anything with straps?

John H. 07-19-2019 05:02 PM

Shakedry

I would say the Gore Shakedry jackets are durable if used in the following manner. Wear or keep in your pocket. Wash only once in a while.
I bought the very 1st version, mine still works great and has zero holes in it. But I don't use it as a mountaineering jacket, I don't wear a hydration pack with it either. I also ride in the winter with full fenders, so my jacket isn't getting muddy.
Only thing that is worn are the ironed-on Gore logos.

But I did buy a back-up of the same thing when Sierra Trading Post had them on close out for $80 a few months ago.

But for a light jacket with great rain protection- Their is the Shakedry- then their is everything else.

pdmtong 07-19-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H. (Post 2568389)
But I did buy a back-up of the same thing when Sierra Trading Post had them on close out for $80 a few months ago.

This is bad news for me if STP is once again selling things worth buying at a good/great price. I used to buy a lot of stuff from them but when the selection dwindled and prices became less compelling I stopped looking.

PaMtbRider 07-19-2019 06:55 PM

I picked up 2 shake dry jackets for my wife and I about a month ago from Sierra Trading Post. I forget the total price, but it was less than $150 for both jackets. We haven't tried them yet because it has been too hot. They fit slim, which is a good thing for us.