The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   WHy does Julich always crash in Tour Time Trials? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19202)

shinomaster 07-10-2006 12:25 PM

WHy does Julich always crash in Tour Time Trials?

What a bummer.

swoop 07-10-2006 12:27 PM

i qoute erik saunders, "some guys can't drive a bike'.

BarryG 07-10-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinomaster
Why does Julich always crash in Tour Time Trials?

Kirk Pacenti 07-10-2006 12:46 PM

399mm

Cary Ford 07-10-2006 01:01 PM

Nerves....

In '99 there was pressure on him to perform, to prove that his '98 podium spot wasn't a fluke or didn't have an asterix next to it. First real individual test where leaders and contenders have to show themselves, the Stage 8 ITT, he overcooks a turn early on the course and dumps it.

This year there was pressure on him to perform implicit with Basso's exclusion as team leader. First real individual test where leaders and contenders have to show themselves, the Stage 8 ITT, he overcooks a turn early on the course and dumps it.

He's too cerebral to shut off the nervousness and maintain the steely-eyed gaze of the killer...

Remember even in 98 he might have been able to take second place, but didn't attack on one of the mountain stages because he was surprised to find himself among the leaders feeling good and climbing strong....

Too much thinkin' makes you stupid in the tour.

swoop 07-10-2006 01:04 PM

this just in.. levi just hit the 2nd time check in the tt... only 20k to go. gooooo levi!!!!!!

sspielman 07-10-2006 01:10 PM

Cold

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop
this just in.. levi just hit the 2nd time check in the tt... only 20k to go. gooooo levi!!!!!!

Wow...that is one of the coldest things that I have ever seen on this forum....Sad part is that Rasmussen has not yet passed through....

davids 07-10-2006 01:12 PM

Yeah, but it made me laugh. Must be a tribal thing.

Fat Robert 07-10-2006 01:36 PM

bobby j has done some fine TTs in the past -- the last long tt in 97 when he was 4th (don't ask me how i remember this stuff) and last year.

he hasn't done well when recognized as a big gun and with the pressure on. "cary ford" is dead on. bobby j is a great physical talent who has never done well under pressure, has always been a better #2 or sleeper than team leader and favorite, and has always needed a strong but supportive hand to guide him. think scottie pippen on a bike and you've got it.

tv_vt 07-10-2006 02:15 PM

Olympics - no pressure??

OK, I have to stand up for the guy. Granted, I'm as disappointed as anyone he crashed, but he does have an Olympic medal for the TT. Let's give the guy some credit. He was riding on the edge. Kudos for pushing it. He just got unlucky. His DS was right behind him and didn't think he did anything wrong, sounds like there was some stuff on the road.

But I will wonder how he could have done in this tour (along with a half-dozen other riders...)

T

Endless Goods 07-10-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
399mm

LOL! :D

I do agree with the cerebral notion- he's an intelligent guy...

flydhest 07-10-2006 03:49 PM

always? how many times has he done it? I'd love to have the opportunity to crash in the Tour. That would mean that I'd actually qualified to ride in it.

William 07-10-2006 03:53 PM

A lesson to be learned....

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydhest
always? how many times has he done it? I'd love to have the opportunity to crash in the Tour. That would mean that I'd actually qualified to ride in it.

Don't generalize with the Statistical Super-Fly around. :no:

William ;)

shinomaster 07-10-2006 05:50 PM

Julich has won several excellent TT's, but he has crashed out of the Tour three times....alas.

woolly 07-10-2006 06:31 PM

It was those F'ed up chainrings.