The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Campagnolo Shamal front hub adjustment (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=208879)

fignon's barber 08-05-2017 08:23 AM

Campagnolo Shamal front hub adjustment

Front hub of my Shamals has developed heavy play. The adjustment ring seamed frozen, but when I freed it and turned it clockwise until flush, there is still major play. Suggestions?:crap:

mgordon 08-05-2017 09:12 AM

What vintage of shamals?

Try giving the axle a tap with a heavy tool, sometimes it can help to seat the adjustment ring in place so it can be tightened further.

moobikes 08-05-2017 01:41 PM

It's time to take the hub apart for a good look. The cone or the split ring/ sleeve could be caught in the threads, or something has broken in the hub - bearings, cup or cone.
Or it could be the threads on the axle or adjustment ring have been damaged somehow.

oldpotatoe 08-05-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fignon's barber (Post 2214738)
Front hub of my Shamals has developed heavy play. The adjustment ring seamed frozen, but when I freed it and turned it clockwise until flush, there is still major play. Suggestions?:crap:

Aluminum axle type? Adjustment ring 'flush'? Touching hub body? Or can you turn it further? Might need a take apart and look see.

fignon's barber 08-05-2017 05:14 PM

Yes, these are the newest version of the Shamal, the C17. I've had eurus since the came out (3 versions) and this is my second pair of Shamals. Never had a problem til now. They've always been easy to adjust. For some reason, the adjustment ring freezes if you turn it back toward the axle end(away from hub). When the ring is flush(no gap between ring and bearing), you can push the axle back and forth maybe 3 mm).

oldpotatoe 08-05-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fignon's barber (Post 2214928)
Yes, these are the newest version of the Shamal, the C17. I've had eurus since the came out (3 versions) and this is my second pair of Shamals. Never had a problem til now. They've always been easy to adjust. For some reason, the adjustment ring freezes if you turn it back toward the axle end(away from hub). When the ring is flush(no gap between ring and bearing), you can push the axle back and forth maybe 3 mm).

Sounds like it might be cross threaded, the adjust plate.

fignon's barber 09-16-2017 08:24 AM

Just thought I'd put a conclusion to this story. It turns out that the front wheel had a poorly machined hub shell, so when they assembled it everything was off. Campagnolo's east coast wing (I think they are in N. Carolina, not sure as the LBS took care of it) did a great job and sent me a brand new pair (front and rear) that spin like Shamal Ultras should. :banana:

oldpotatoe 09-16-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fignon's barber (Post 2234419)
Just thought I'd put a conclusion to this story. It turns out that the front wheel had a poorly machined hub shell, so when they assembled it everything was off. Campagnolo's east coast wing (I think they are in N. Carolina, not sure as the LBS took care of it) did a great job and sent me a brand new pair (front and rear) that spin like Shamal Ultras should. :banana:

Huzzah...Probably Hawley..warranty center among others.

THE HAWLEY COMPANY, INC.

1181 South Lake Drive
SC 29073-7744, Lexington

ultraman6970 09-16-2017 11:04 AM

Hawley rocks, I had a pair of FB shifters that broke after the second ride, the ebay store did not even want to call hawley to ask for a RMA, they helped me out, took the lever and after a few weeks i had a new one sent. Got lucky tho.

oldpotatoe 09-16-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 2234477)
Hawley rocks, I had a pair of FB shifters that broke after the second ride, the ebay store did not even want to call hawley to ask for a RMA, they helped me out, took the lever and after a few weeks i had a new one sent. Got lucky tho.

That's why...'most' ebay stuff is w/o warranty..even if new.