The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pay as you go phone plans? Looking for a way to NOT carry my new phone (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=261980)

makoti 12-04-2020 08:40 AM

Pay as you go phone plans? Looking for a way to NOT carry my new phone

I got a new phone &, at the cost, am reluctant to carry it on my rides. My old phone still works & for what I do on rides (emergency calls, get texts) it would be fine.
Anyone use a "pay as you go" phone plan? Looking for something I can buy a bucket of minutes and get texts, maybe a bit of data, and they don't expire until I've used them. These things used to exist.
I'd also need to get a new number with it. My plan is to forward texts from my main # to this one & give the new # out only to people who might REALLY need to contact me.
Of course, robocalls will eat up most of the minutes, I'm sure.

jemdet 12-04-2020 08:46 AM

On the off chance both phones use the same SIM card, you can just swap before each ride.

zmudshark 12-04-2020 08:50 AM

I use Ting. We both get a $25 credit if you use my referral link, https://z7nbog44inc.ting.com/

My bill runs under $70/month for 3 phones. I’ve had Ting for 6-7 years, and no issues whatsoever.

C40_guy 12-04-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makoti (Post 2840315)
Of course, robocalls will eat up most of the minutes, I'm sure.

I've got my phone set to "silence unknown callers." Any caller not in my contacts goes straight to voice mail. Might help with your bucket of minutes concern...

Hilltopperny 12-04-2020 09:00 AM

Tracfone should provide the service you seek. At least they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makoti 12-04-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemdet (Post 2840319)
On the off chance both phones use the same SIM card, you can just swap before each ride.

Is it possible to buy a second sim? Same #, just as a backup & leave it in there so I don't have to pull the case off every day? This is a great idea, btw. Thanks. Hadn't thought of it.

makoti 12-04-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 2840332)
I've got my phone set to "silence unknown callers." Any caller not in my contacts goes straight to voice mail. Might help with your bucket of minutes concern...

Does voicemail not count against minutes?

Ozz 12-04-2020 09:04 AM

you could get a case that has a warranty if your phone is damaged. I think Otterbox does this...

djg21 12-04-2020 09:09 AM

If you use an iPhone

Invest in an Apple Watch. Pay $10/month to your cellular provider and you can make and receive calls and messages on it from your shared phone number and you can leave your iPhone at home. You can even use it for Strava. The only thing it lacks is a Garmin app so it doesn’t connect to a Garmin Edge. But I have to think Garmin will release an app at some point.

zmudshark 12-04-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makoti (Post 2840338)
Does voicemail not count against minutes?

Scammers rarely leave a message.

likebikes 12-04-2020 09:18 AM

i like red pocket.

john903 12-04-2020 09:23 AM

I use a Tracfone flip phone. I have actually used it for years. The phone cost $30.00 and I buy 120 minutes for $30.00 about every 3 months or so. I can text, call, and it has voicemail. I like it a lot because that is all I really need. While I see the need for smart phones and they have their place. I just don't need a mini computer that just happens to make phone calls.
So if you just want a cheap phone for taking on rides I would suggest a Tracfone.
Have a great day.

Dave 12-04-2020 09:38 AM

I have tracphone service with a galaxy s7. The new service policy now costs about $20 per month, compared to an older method where I bought minutes that kept piling up that only cost about $10. I now have unlimited calls and texts, but pay for data time separately.

I don't carry my phone.

nortx-Dave 12-04-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john903 (Post 2840352)
I use a Tracfone flip phone. I have actually used it for years. The phone cost $30.00 and I buy 120 minutes for $30.00 about every 3 months or so. I can text, call, and it has voicemail. I like it a lot because that is all I really need. While I see the need for smart phones and they have their place. I just don't need a mini computer that just happens to make phone calls.
So if you just want a cheap phone for taking on rides I would suggest a Tracfone.
Have a great day.

And I thought I was the only person left in the world that did this!

In my case it works. More than the monthly cost, I simply don't need the bells and whistles of a smart phone. And like Dave above, I usually don't even carry a phone.

Besides Tracfone, Net10 is another pay-as-you-go provider.

buckfifty 12-04-2020 09:55 AM

I have a friend who swaps out his sim to a cheap or used phone for rides. Seems more cost effective if you have an old phone laying around