The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   list of comfort / sport geometry frames (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11999)

Tom Kellogg 10-21-2005 08:37 AM

Ugly head tube gone!

Eddie:
For the '06 Solis, the internal headsets are gone now. Actually, Merlin has gotten rid of all of those ugly head tubes on their Ti frames, FINALLY. The only one left is the Proteus (full carbon frame).
Are they in shops yet? I don't know. Merlin has been shipping the new Works frames for some time now but I don't know if the new Solis is shipping yet. You can call your dealer and have them ask their rep if they are available.

ashwinearl 10-21-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon
Try a sloping top tube and tell the fitter you do not want one of those short stems that races toward the sky. I agree that they present a less than stellar (fugly) picture. I have seen many of them and can only assume that the customer or builder did not like the sloping top tube solution. With threadless you have only two solutions - - One the stem or Two the sloping TT. There are no other options to get you in the more upright position.

I am not a fitter but it you put a drawing on paper you have to raise the front end to get the bars higher. This is done via (STEM), (TT slope)

- - or a very high parallel to the ground TT - which could be somewhat uncomfortable if you had to get off bike in a hurry.

Pete

Yes I agree upsloping top tube is what I'm looking for. But that is different than compact geometry, so it is hard to differentiate between a pure compact frame and one that upslopes to provide a higher bar.

There is also the option of lots of spacers on the steerer tube, which doesn't look good either to me.

Fixed 10-21-2005 12:21 PM

Bro I'm just a dumb bike messenger but I'd say any classic steel bike that fits would fit the bill.Cheers :beer:

BarryG 10-21-2005 12:58 PM

sg8357 10-21-2005 01:09 PM

Here are a couple geometry samples for racing bikes, borrowed from
Mr. Chuck Schmidt.
Bianchi Racing bikes, just like Fausto rode. The saddle was mounted
well forward usually giving a steeper effective seat angle.
Me, I'd take a Legend Ti in the 1950 geo, wonder if Serotta could
do Paris-Roubaix dropouts ?

Scott G.

1939 Bianchi #718923-0
(c to c)
Seat Tube -- 54.0cm
Top Tube -- 58.0cm
BB drop -- 8.0cm
Chain Stay -- 46.0cm
Wheel base -- 110.0cm
Seat Tube < -- 71.5°
Head Tube < -- 70.0°
Fork Rake -- 8.0cm
Trail -- 4.0cm*
*wheel dia. 68.5cm

1950 Bianchi Folgorissima #287197 (P-R derailleur)
(c to c) Seat Tube -- 57.0cm
Top Tube -- 57.0cm
BB drop -- 8.2cm
Chain Stay -- 45.0cm
Wheel base -- 104.0cm
Seat Tube < -- 73.00°
Head Tube < -- 74.25°
Fork Rake -- 6.0cm
Trail -- 3.4cm* *wheel dia. 68.5cm

Litespeeder 10-21-2005 01:20 PM

IMO, the Gunnar is the best sport bike on you list. I would also add these two bikes as well

Cannondale Synapse - Great for racing, more upright and very comfortable
Kelly Bone Stock - steel, inexpensive, upright and can be used for racing

:bike:

cdmc 10-21-2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinearl
Yes I agree upsloping top tube is what I'm looking for. But that is different than compact geometry, so it is hard to differentiate between a pure compact frame and one that upslopes to provide a higher bar.

There is also the option of lots of spacers on the steerer tube, which doesn't look good either to me.

The only difference between a compact frame (aka sloping toptube) and a "traditional" frame is that the toptube is at an angle to the ground. You can have traditional frames with tall headtubes and short headtubes. Same for "compact" frames. People want to make it more complicated, but it really is that simple.

vaxn8r 10-21-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litespeeder

Cannondale Synapse - Great for racing, more upright and very comfortable....

:bike:

Said it before....HT length on a Synapse is almost identical to the HT on a CAAD 8 (within mm). It's not more upright. Synapse is not the same idea as a Roubaix or Pilot.

ashwinearl 10-21-2005 08:12 PM

Soma Smoothie ES

is another I came across if anyone else is following this thread.