The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedplay X pedals installation torque (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276412)

biker.caliente 11-26-2021 05:41 PM

Speedplay X pedals installation torque

Does anyone know how tight the original Speedplay X pedals (not cleats) should be torqued for installation? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

ducati2 11-26-2021 05:56 PM

This is what I get searching for “Speedplay cleat torque”

2.5Nm /
The Speedplay Cleat Fastening Screw Torque Wrench provides the proper torque of 2.5Nm / 22 in-lbs. required when installing the 4mm Cleat Fastening Screws (8) used with all Speedplay road cleats.

djg21 11-26-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker.caliente (Post 3016050)
Does anyone know how tight the original Speedplay X pedals (not cleats) should be torqued for installation? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Screw them into the crank and don’t overtighten. There is no need to torque them down. Don’t overthink it.

biker.caliente 11-26-2021 06:18 PM

The reason why I ask is that I always damage the flat area by the thread at the end of the pedal if I used the 15mm pedal wrench. Using a hex bit and work from the other side of the pedal would be more precise, if I know roughly how tight it should be torqued down. 35-55 NM seems to be appropriate as this is what Shimano listed for their pedals. Just want to be a bit more accurate.

djg21 11-26-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker.caliente (Post 3016068)
The reason why I ask is that I always damage the flat area by the thread at the end of the pedal if I used the 15mm pedal wrench. Using a hex bit and work from the other side of the pedal would be more precise, if I know roughly how tight it should be torqued down. 35-55 NM seems to be appropriate as this is what Shimano listed for their pedals. Just want to be a bit more accurate.

All you need to to is snug them up, irrespective of whether you use a pedal wrench or an Allen key. It’s not a power meter where torque may matter. The pedal spindles are threaded so they won’t loosen while riding (left is reverse-threaded). Put them on your bike and go ride.

biker.caliente 11-26-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djg21 (Post 3016080)
All you need to to is snug them up, irrespective of whether you use a pedal wrench or an Allen key. It’s not a power meter where torque may matter. The pedal spindles are threaded so they won’t loosen while riding (left is reverse-threaded). Put them on your bike and go ride.

That's a good point. I think I was reading too much into this.

I actually just found out the Speedplay X-pedals does not accept allen key in the back end.

Thanks to everyone.

RoosterCogset 11-26-2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker.caliente (Post 3016085)

I actually just found out the Speedplay X-pedals does not accept allen key in the back end.

One of the other benefits to the after-market ebay Ti spindles

djg21 11-26-2021 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by biker.caliente (Post 3016085)
That's a good point. I think I was reading too much into this.

Thanks to everyone.

If you’re concerned about scoring the spindle with the wrench, you likely are trying to overtighten. It also helps to have a good pedal wrench like a Hozan that is wider where it contacts the spindle and doesn’t have what amounts to an edge like the inexpensive Pedro’s or Park pedal wrenches.