The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Opinions on Cannondale CAAD10 or BMC StreetRacer (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124985)

gunder 02-22-2013 04:23 AM

Opinions on Cannondale CAAD10 or BMC StreetRacer

Thinking about getting a 2013 CAAD10 5 105. Seems like a real bargain for the price and performance. Is the bike comfortable enough to do 60-75 mile rides or would it be better to get something a little more forgiving?

Also, I understand the CAAD10 frames use pretty thin aluminum. I'm a bit of a clydesdale at 235 lbs., is the frame too fragile for me? I'm pretty easy on my equipment, but don't want to worry every time I hit a pothole or something unexpected.

My budget is about $1,500, anything else I should be looking at in this price range?

EDIT: Looking around the web I found a BMC Streetracer 105 in my price range. Any opinions on this bike? I know BMC's carbon bikes are well regarded but not sure about their aluminum bikes.

Bruce K 02-22-2013 04:56 AM

I've done 105 miles on my CAAD10 and found it to be plenty comfortable

The bikes are quick, fun, and durable

Well worth their price

NK

AngryScientist 02-22-2013 06:11 AM

all the CAAD bikes get glowingly good reviews all over the internet, they are seemingly great bikes.

i dont know what wheels the caad comes with, but at your weight, plan on buying some handbuilts to go with the bike...

flydhest 02-22-2013 06:27 AM

Opinions on Cannondale CAAD10

A 105 equipped CAAD 10 is a full on race bike at a discounted price. Cannondales have been underrated for a long time and have got better and better.

gunder 02-22-2013 07:04 PM

Any opinions on the BMC Streetracer vs. the CAAD10?

dancinkozmo 02-22-2013 07:12 PM

cant comment on the BMC but ive owned a CAAD 10 3 for a bit over a year now and i think its terrific...i dont find the ride harsh at all, 60-75 miles = no problem.
i think the 5 comes with shimano RS10 wheels
got mine from REI when they had a 30% off sale...if you can, wait until then ..:banana:

if you need something less harsh, REI has the Cdale synapse 5 for 1399

bikerboy337 02-22-2013 07:14 PM

Caad

I'd go caad all the way... Great bikes with even greater resale.... They sell for about as much used as new... And just all around great riding bikes... Personally, if you can work on bikes, grab a frame and build up with parts.. I built my caad 9 with record 10 for under 1500... Was a 16 lb machine easy with lighting wheels and was every bit as confirtable as my other bikes

ultraman6970 02-22-2013 07:34 PM

Cant comment in the street racer but I had 2 BMC's already and the bikes are super fast. No idea about the caad because i have not used one ever.

I had 2 bmc road racers and the bikes just rock. Doubt you will have single problem with the street racer, it have excellent reviews, and you wont see another ones maybe in months. BMC is not a common bike (yet), the caad is the bike to go if you are racing in a budget but you can race in a BMC anyways.

Good luck.

ps: at that price range you can get top of the line used aluminum like EM or maybe a fondriest, besides... not the same to say I have an EM or a fondriest than a caad.. :P

dancinkozmo 02-22-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 1299533)
... not the same to say I have an EM or a fondriest than a caad.. :P

yeah..the CAAD is WAAY better :banana::banana::banana:

ultraman6970 02-22-2013 07:49 PM

Hmm... as campangolo people say to shimano people... they dont know any better :D

carpediemracing 02-22-2013 08:10 PM

A (new to me) teammate has alternated CAAD10/SuperSix and BMC. Bigger guy, maybe a bit lighter but very tall. He had some misfortune and crushed his SuperSix. He got a BMC something as a replacement. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of each of the machines. I think the BMC is his 2nd, the Cannondale is probably his 2nd as well.

gunder 02-22-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpediemracing (Post 1299552)
A (new to me) teammate has alternated CAAD10/SuperSix and BMC. Bigger guy, maybe a bit lighter but very tall. He had some misfortune and crushed his SuperSix. He got a BMC something as a replacement. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of each of the machines. I think the BMC is his 2nd, the Cannondale is probably his 2nd as well.

That would be great if he can give some feedback, but I think with all the positive opinions here, the CAAD10 is probably the way I will go.

Seems as though the CAAD10 has lots of fans in here (and other forums). Pretty surprising for a mass produced bike. Usually Cannondale's and other bikes from the large manufacturers are sort of looked down upon in online forums.

ultraman6970 02-22-2013 11:04 PM

For the self sponsored racer the caad is the ideal bike, not expensive, fast and light. Sincerely no idea if they have weight limits, some aluminum and carbon frames do.

spaced_ghost 02-23-2013 12:42 AM

CAAD10's are awesome. If you can find a used CAAD9 team.... GET IT. I'm around 205 and had a CAAD9 and a CAAD10, very awesome bikes. no probs with fragility, no probs doing long rides.

dont have experience with the BMC's. always wanted one though.

soupless 02-23-2013 12:52 AM

Which one do you like better?