The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jan Heine on wide tires for the road (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=285717)

AngryScientist 08-09-2022 02:20 PM

Jan Heine on wide tires for the road

https://www.renehersecycles.com/too-...e-a-road-test/

Even though I generally disagree with all of his conclusions, I have a lot of respect for the man. He's a super strong rider. I wish I was in the form to take on a ride like this. Looks beautiful too. Motivational to say the least, who cares about the tires :)

lorenbike 08-09-2022 02:35 PM

rallizes 08-09-2022 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jan Heine?

Never forget.

AngryScientist 08-09-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallizes (Post 3130115)
Jan Heine?

Never forget.

:confused:

huh?

EB 08-09-2022 02:50 PM

In terms of Jan's "objective data" worth keeping in mind some fun facts, like the fact that those "2.3" inch tires are in fact barely 2.1 inches wide - he even calls them 54mm tires later in the post!

Cool blog post though. The Werner Herzog of tires strikes again.

lorenbike 08-09-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Bingham (Post 3130122)
In terms of Jan's "objective data" worth keeping in mind some fun facts, like the fact that those "2.3" inch tires are in fact barely 2.1 inches wide - he even calls them 54mm tires later in the post!

Cool blog post though. The Werner Herzog of tires strikes again.

d_douglas 08-09-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallizes (Post 3130115)
Jan Heine?

Never forget.

Ugh, that Pegoretti hurts my eyes. Should not have zero saddle to bar drop on a race bike! I would chop that HT as well. Is that Jan's old ride? gasp...

KonaSS 08-09-2022 03:14 PM

This article is ridiculous. He admits it is purely anecdotal, but it doesn't even pretend to be close to objective. This stuff in red just makes me shake my head. They are throw away statements that are based on nothing.

"We covered the first 100 kilometers, slightly uphill, in just under 3:30 hours. That works out to an average of 28.6 km/h (17.8 mph). This includes a short stop to buy supplies for the long climb ahead. I know I wouldn’t have been any faster on narrower tires. ......

Just as I crested the pass, the other rider zipped by. If my wide tires made me climb significantly slower, he’d have passed me long before this point, 180 km (115 miles) into the ride."

He should have just said: "Wide tires can absolutely be used for a ride like this. I finished in a very respectable time, and probably benefited from the comfort of a wide tire. "

charliedid 08-09-2022 03:19 PM

Jan thinks all riders are equal and only the equipment choices differ.

Snore.

desertoracle 08-09-2022 03:21 PM

my longest ever ride was also on a 26x2.3s, but I would not describe it as "Transcendent" or whatever

Blue Jays 08-09-2022 03:27 PM

Cool ride narrative! Would enjoy doing that someday.
I was more interested in the experience and descriptions as compared to the tire data, inflation pressure hypotheses, and handlebar widths!

:hello:

bshell 08-09-2022 03:39 PM

Interesting

*I KNOW* i'm slower on 35mm than I am on 25mm because I've been doing my well worn road ride (approx 2hour) on my CX while waiting for new, skinny tires.

I'm only off by a few minutes and the descent is MUCH nicer over the fractured concrete portions but the flats/climbs are unquestionably a little more work.

fourflys 08-09-2022 03:43 PM

so amusing when someone posts a JH article.. it just beings out the "not in my club" mentality.. evidenced by the comment about the Peg "hurting my eyes... should not have zero bar drop, etc..." and we genuinely wonder why folks think cyclists are a-holes sometimes..

fourflys 08-09-2022 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshell (Post 3130146)
*I KNOW* i'm slower on 35mm than I am on 25mm because I've been doing my well worn road ride (approx 2hour) on my CX while waiting for new, skinny tires.

I'm only off by a few minutes and the descent is MUCH nicer over the fractured concrete portions but the flats/climbs are unquestionably a little more work.

just curious, same bike? if not, same gearing and fit as the faster bike? 35s slicks or CX?

Also, I agree that there is a point where bigger tires are slower I think..

Michael D 08-09-2022 03:48 PM

17.8 mph for 60 miles on a relatively flat paved ride in a group is really slow so I'm not sure if he's proving what he thinks he's proving here. Would be more illuminating if he had power numbers.

The narrower handlebars thing combined with the barn door of a bag gave me a chuckle though. Glad he enjoyed his bike.