The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   When did 'colourway' become a thing? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276316)

Gianni Bianchi 11-23-2021 01:50 PM

When did 'colourway' become a thing?

It's all I hear from cycling media, regarding bikes and kits.

It used to be colour scheme or paint work or paint job. Colourway... sounds like some BS dreamed up by some hipster beardstachio wannabe cyclist.

slowpoke 11-23-2021 01:53 PM

Over a decade ago by sneakerheads on the other side of the pond.

muttley 11-23-2021 02:11 PM

My guess is it was created by the same idiots that came up with the matching "cockpit" ideology. I don't need my stem brand to match my handlebar, seatpost, etc.

osbk67 11-23-2021 02:16 PM

When the marketing department had the chance to go home early but didn't.

BdaGhisallo 11-23-2021 02:18 PM

It's not just the cycling industry.

My wife is a big knitter and pattern designer in her spare time and she watches a lot of knitting podcasts. I hear the term 'colorway' at least a few times a day.

Just like bikes and bike clothing, yarn no longer comes in simple colors but only in colorways.

HenryA 11-23-2021 02:29 PM

It comes from inside the retail trade and been around a long while.

Store buyer: “thats a nice blouse, we want to stock them”

Clothing rep: “they come in 4 colorways and small thru xxl”

Store buyer: “we’ll take a dozen each size and colorway but the fuschia”

And there’s no “u” in color.

;>)

Gianni Bianchi 11-23-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muttley (Post 3014893)
My guess is it was created by the same idiots that came up with the matching "cockpit" ideology. I don't need my stem brand to match my handlebar, seatpost, etc.

Whoa... back up the truck there.... Matching 'cockpit' has been a thing as long as I've been riding (44 years). It was a thing of beauty back in the 70s-80s-90s to have Cinelli or TTT bars/stem. Likewise, on my XR1 it's Fizik. But the term 'cockpit' for a bike is... well, puzzling.

Gianni Bianchi 11-23-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryA (Post 3014907)

And there’s no “u” in color.

;>)

Just checked my Oxford dictionary... yes, yes there is. ;)

muttley 11-23-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi (Post 3014908)
Whoa... back up the truck there.... Matching 'cockpit' has been a thing as long as I've been riding (44 years). It was a thing of beauty back in the 70s-80s-90s to have Cinelli or TTT bars/stem. Likewise, on my XR1 it's Fizik. But the term 'cockpit' for a bike is... well, puzzling.

Why does the brand name of the products need to match? I pick bike components for their function not because they are the same brand.

Gianni Bianchi 11-23-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muttley (Post 3014912)
Why does the brand name of the products need to match? I pick bike components for their function not because they are the same brand.

It's not about matching (to me), it's about having a system of products that have been engineered to work perfectly together. Similar idea to shifters and derailleurs from the same manufacturer.

e-RICHIE 11-23-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muttley (Post 3014912)

They don’t need to match; it’s a vestige from the (perhaps) pre-MTB era when the number of suppliers was fewer, and most were still family owned. Add to that, components came in a much wider range of sizes and lengths, and it was simply the norm to match within brands.

tv_vt 11-23-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE (Post 3014916)
They don’t need to match; it’s a vestige from the (perhaps) pre-MTB era when the number of suppliers was fewer, and most were still family owned. Add to that, components came in a much wider range of sizes and lengths, and it was simply the norm to match within brands.

Good to hear from one who knows style when he sees it. I always thought I was breaking some rule by using FSA shallow bars with Fizik, Deda, Zipp, and Easton stems. Glad I'm OK after all. ;)

PS. I think you can blame Rapha and the British cycling explosion for 'colourway.' And I still wouldn't use that term in a Red state.

sw3759 11-23-2021 02:50 PM

I don’t necessarily need to have the same brands but at would at least prefer them to be same “colourway”

Turkle 11-23-2021 02:50 PM

I cannot imagine being crabby about the term "colorway." Might be time to turn off the internet and walk around the block for a minute.

pasadena 11-23-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkle (Post 3014922)
I cannot imagine being crabby about the term "colorway." Might be time to turn off the internet and walk around the block for a minute.

LOL word:hello: