The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Bike Fit (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reach Too Long; How to make more comfortable? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=206623)

8352 06-17-2017 11:29 PM

Reach Too Long; How to make more comfortable?
 
I've just bought a bike off a member on the forum here, a 1994 Bridgestone RB-T. I'm going to be using it for commuting and ~50-100km rides and light touring occasionally (one night camping). I'm finding the reach is a little too long for me; my elbows are locked out when in the drops.
  1. Current stem: 100mm long
  2. Current handlebars: ~120mm reach

Build advice please?

Some ideas:
  • Moustache bars
  • Dirt drop bars
  • Shallow drop bars
  • Shorter / higher stem?
  • Differen't brake levers?

Current state after a weekend of overhauling:
http://i.imgur.com/Vv2racc.jpg

Ideas:

Moustache bars:
http://i.imgur.com/AVQ1rVY.jpg

75mm reach shallow drops bars:
http://i.imgur.com/McetMaW.jpg

Dirt drops:
http://i.imgur.com/9NGraS3.jpg

alexstar 06-18-2017 03:07 AM

What bars are those? They look pretty deep with long reach, and you have your levers set up at the farthest point, making the reach even longer. I would move the levers up on the bars before I did anything else, and rotate the bars a bit so the drops come closer to you. If that's not enough, try short and shallow drop bars. Good luck.

8352 06-18-2017 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexstar (Post 2191134)
What bars are those? They look pretty deep with long reach, and you have your levers set up at the farthest point, making the reach even longer. I would move the levers up on the bars before I did anything else, and rotate the bars a bit so the drops come closer to you. If that's not enough, try short and shallow drop bars. Good luck.

Not sure, probably just stock bars. Wouldn't bringing the levers closer angle them too much to get a comfortable fit?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

owly 06-18-2017 07:03 AM

If you're happy with the saddle to bar drop at the hoods, then I'd just get a short-reach bar, like your example.

8352 06-18-2017 07:24 AM

I'm going to try out some Soma Portola bars which have a 65mm reach, almost half. As far as drop from seat to hoods, it would be nice to have it more level. I'll grab a longer stem too perhaps.

Ti Designs 06-19-2017 05:31 AM

Every discussion about handlebars gets the same response from me - learn how to ride. I say this because riding a bike is one of the few cases where people somehow forget how to support their own body weight, and then try to engineer a solution to a defective structure that's just never going to work. I'm talking about supporting body weight on the handlebars. If you're looking for a way to be comfortable on the bike while supporting your weight at your hands, the answer is probably golf.

Try this experiment. Sit down in a chair, lean forward towards your desk so your center of gravity is forward of your hips. Move your hands over your keyboard - it's a position that people in desk jobs can hold all day long because your weight is supported at your feet below you. Now lift both feet 1/2" off the ground. Either you've just banged your face on the desk, or you're now trying to support your weight at your hands, I'm not sure which one is worse. You're asking your spine to act as part of a bridge structure, which it's not. Your lumbar spine has a reverse curve, which in suspension bridge terms is called really bad design. If you want to engineer around this problem, I would forget the bars/stem and work on a carbon fiber exoskeleton...

By far the worst thing about this tendency to find a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist is when large companies actively market their solution. Yes, I'm talking about the new Specialized Future Shock. They built a spring into the steerer tube of some of their bikes, which decreases the energy transferred to the rider from hitting bumps or potholes. While it does take the edge off the impacts, it doesn't reduce the long term effect of supporting weight at the hands any more than putting springs on the bottom of my shoes reduces my weight to zero.

Seriously, your cycling position should be determined by your saddle to pedal relationship. Once you have that you figure out which bars you need by where you want to place your hands. It doesn't work the other way around...

chiasticon 06-19-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti Designs (Post 2191465)
Seriously, your cycling position should be determined by your saddle to pedal relationship. Once you have that you figure out which bars you need by where you want to place your hands. It doesn't work the other way around...

but isn't that exactly what he's doing here? he's not asking to move the saddle to get to where the bars are comfortable. he's asking to move the bars/levers because they're not comfortable and he's (evidently) already got the engine (his legs) in the right spot. which, to me, is exactly as it should be.

OP: I'll echo that you should try shorter reach bars if they work OK with your stem. how far would you say you need to move your hands back? looks like you can reduce it by up to 50mm, and that's a lot...

CNY rider 06-19-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiasticon (Post 2191660)
but isn't that exactly what he's doing here? he's not asking to move the saddle to get to where the bars are comfortable. he's asking to move the bars/levers because they're not comfortable and he's (evidently) already got the engine (his legs) in the right spot. which, to me, is exactly as it should be.

OP: I'll echo that you should try shorter reach bars if they work OK with your stem. how far would you say you need to move your hands back? looks like you can reduce it by up to 50mm, and that's a lot...

Agree.
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?

AngryScientist 06-19-2017 02:33 PM

speaking personally, short and shallow bars have really made a big difference in comfort on the bike for me.

Origin8 makes some inexpensive options that are good quality for 26.0 diameter if you want to experiment a bit.

Mzilliox 06-19-2017 02:56 PM

nothing at all constructive :beer:

8352 06-19-2017 04:14 PM

Hey folks.

Re: relationship between pedals and saddle, that's something I can and have recently played around with when I did my shakedown test of the bike. The problem however is in the riding position I'm in with the setup like this. It's possible to bend in, but it's just not the sort of riding I want to do.

What I'm going to try out is some shorter reach dirt drop bars, a 80mm instead of 100mm stem, and a Brooks B17. Hopefully it won't mess with the handling too much...

Appreciate the feedback

Ti Designs 06-19-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY rider (Post 2191666)
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?

Mostly frustration.

There are always dozens of suggestions on what part to buy - shorter reach, shallow drop, more padded tape... Then there's one idiot saying it's how you ride, not what you ride - who listens to that guy?

djdj 06-19-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8352 (Post 2191781)
Hey folks.

Re: relationship between pedals and saddle, that's something I can and have recently played around with when I did my shakedown test of the bike. The problem however is in the riding position I'm in with the setup like this. It's possible to bend in, but it's just not the sort of riding I want to do.

What I'm going to try out is some shorter reach dirt drop bars, a 80mm instead of 100mm stem, and a Brooks B17. Hopefully it won't mess with the handling too much...

Appreciate the feedback

Those are deep bars but, as someone else suggested, first try rotating your bars down -- perhaps so the drops are parallel to the top tube -- then move the levers up the bar. That should at least reduce the distance to the drops, where you say your arms are locked.

fuzzalow 06-19-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY rider (Post 2191666)
The response above yours seems condescending......and to what end?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzilliox (Post 2191728)
there's no need to be condescending just because thats your go to move.

My own opinion of your responses is that they are overreactions and overwrought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti Designs (Post 2191465)
Every discussion about handlebars gets the same response from me - learn how to ride.

Is this the statement is what is causing such strident conniption? This!? This is a statement about acquiring skills not an ad hominem.

Sorry fellas, if this all it takes to ruffle your fur, I think you'd do well to mentally adopt some Belgium hardman. If that language bothers you, take solace that the following sentence contains the word "because" which is proffering of some degree of substance in the post that follows which offers more value than many of what is posted here so you're getting something maybe you can use.

This forum lived through a time of statements like "your stems too short" which never enlisted a hurt feelings response as an accusation of condescension, at least that no one who actually felt that way would admit to publicly.

This hypersensitivity to the slightest misperception of verbal slight is anathema to open discourse and dialogue. It is anti-intellectual. It is a misuse, abuse and perversion of the wording and the spirit of the forum user agreement to feign insult as a means of censoring dialogue and the free expression of ideas.

rustychisel 06-19-2017 09:59 PM

Now who's getting overwrought and hyperbolic? :)

OP, I hope you find the solution. Maybe buy another bike...?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.