The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pet choices - help me! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245332)

d_douglas 12-07-2019 05:16 PM

Pet choices - help me!

I am a cat guy. I had a cat from 23-43 and when she died at 20, we have toddlers and decided to take a break. Now at 8 and 10 yrs old, we think our kids are ready for a pet.

I love both dogs and cats, but cats are easier to care for, so this is what i default to. The others are wearing me down, but that might not be a bad thing. Having a small creature demanding walks might be a good thing for all of us, knowing that 95% of the responsibility will be to myself and my wife for a few years at least.

First question : dog or cat?! Tell me why.

Second question: if dog, then what breed?

I want a small to medium sized dog that is incredibly well mannered and quietish. We both work, so we need a dog that doesn’t destroy the house while we are away. Yes, 8hrs is a long time for a dog, but soon my kids will be coming home at 315 and they’ll be able to take him/her out for a walk. A Dog walker is an expensive, but viable option.

Everyone raves about poodles and ladbrdoodles, but I find them ugly. I know - shallow - but I want a cute dog. I also know the gold standard is a golden retriever, but there are too many of them !

A sketchy little dog like a blue heeler is what I find cute, but they seem to have a rep for going crazy if not getting enough exercise.

What are your thoughts.?

SpaceOdyssey 12-07-2019 05:25 PM

For us it was always dog or cats

Never a solo cat - they can keep each other company

But also, for the last 30 years we have had a dog and 2-3 cats with only short gaps after a pets passing.

Dogs are more people reliant and generally do better with lots of human interaction. Cats are way more independent.

I would go shelter dog with 2 kids your age. Visit the local shelter, play with the puppies. See who bonds with your kids.

That will be the one who gets you as their “Forever Family”

Robot870 12-07-2019 05:26 PM

I have a beagle and he's the sweetest thing ever! I suggest going to a shelter with the family and just looking around......you never know what might happen......

XXtwindad 12-07-2019 05:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First order of business: The Grail Crumpton
Second order of business: A Boxer

old_fat_and_slow 12-07-2019 05:29 PM

Labrador Retriever - You can thank me later.

bianchi10 12-07-2019 05:32 PM

You lost me at "I'm a cat guy" :p

I would agree that cats are more self sufficient and not as much of a hassle when it comes time for family vacations or leaving for weekends. However, I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. In my experience, dogs just want to love love love, which is great for the family. Kittens can be cute, but because of the personalities of (most) cats, I find that kids tend to forget about the cats more because they aren't as dependent on your attention.

If you are looking for a smaller dog, I would recommend 2 breeds

1)Yorkie - Super cute, hypoallergenic and don't shed. We have a Yorkie and they are full of personality. Get one as a puppy and even as they get to full size adults they are still so small that its like having a dog stay a puppy its entire life. My Yorkie is about 8lbs

2)Lasso-poo (Lasso Opso/Poodle mix) - Dont think they are hypoallergenic, however they also do not shed. We have a lasso Opso and she is 15 years old. Most people think she still looks like she is 3 or 4. she is about 10lbs

I grew up with REAL dogs. Had a couple black labs and golden retriever's. They were amazing. My wife is scared of big dogs and did not want one around the house. Since I lived with my dad and it was basically a bachelor pad, I never realized just how much hair was around the house till I moved out and found out what life was like without a shedding dog around. The wife wanted a SMALL dog because she grew up with a Poodle. I hate poodles. I despise poodles. I didn't want a "Yipper". Did a ton of research and when I came across the Lasso-Poo mix I fell in love. I like it because they have all the traits of a poodle which is the non shedding, but most of them dont end up looking like a poodle, they just look like little fur ball puppies their entire life.

I will most likely never have a big dog again. Having a small dog suites my life so much better. They both sleep with us, they drive around with us, they snuggle on our laps or shoulders. All the things BIG dogs try to do also, but lets face it, having a 120lbs dog think they are a lap dog isn't very comfy :D

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Hilltopperny 12-07-2019 05:35 PM

Pet choices - help me!

We have an Olde English Bulldog. They acclimate well to the household they are in and ours is very good with our 1.5 year old boy and teenage daughter. She does not bark often, doesn’t chew things up and is generally well behaved and does not require much exercise, but can handle it if need be. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e5408b715b.jpghttps://IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tap...3b6318ae5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpritchet74 12-07-2019 05:37 PM

We have a black lab / aussie shepherd mix and she's a great medium size dog and amazing with our kids. Very obedient too. We never really had to train her either.

XXtwindad 12-07-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bianchi10 (Post 2629790)
You lost me at "I'm a cat guy" :p

I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. I would agree that cats are more self sufficient and not as much of a hassle when it comes time for family vacations or leaving for weekends. However, I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. In my experience, dogs just want to love love love, which is great for the family. Kittens can be cute, but because of the personalities of (most) cats, I find that kids tend to forget about the cats more because they aren't as dependent on your attention.

If you are looking for a smaller dog, I would recommend 2 breeds

1)Yorkie - Super cute, hypoallergenic and don't shed. We have a Yorkie and they are full of personality. Get one as a puppy and even as they get to full size adults they are still so small that its like having a dog stay a puppy its entire life.

2)Lasso-poo (Lasso Opso/Poodle mix) - Dont think they are hypoallergenic, however they also do not shed. We have a lasso Opso and she is 15 years old. Most people think she still looks like she is 3 or 4.

I grew up with REAL dogs. Had a couple black labs and golden retriever's. They were amazing. My wife is scared of big dogs and did not want one around the house. Since I lived with my dad and it was basically a bachelor pad, I never realized just how much hair was around the house till I moved out and found out what life was like without a shedding dog around. The wife wanted a SMALL dog because she grew up with a Poodle. I hate poodles. I despise poodles. I didn't want a "Yipper". Did a ton of research and when I came across the Lasso-Poo mix I fell in love. I like it because they have all the traits of a poodle which is the non shedding, but most of them dont end up looking like a poodle, they just look like little fur ball puppies their entire life.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

C'mon Man. A little all black poodle with a black collar and a black picnic basket with a little black bell on your "Black Betty" Spec. How cute would that be... :)

Veloo 12-07-2019 05:40 PM

Only ever had dogs but open to having a cat.

Do you want to be active with the dog - running, mountain biking? If so then I'd go medium instead of small.

Short snout can mean breathing challenges so not as much aerobic endurance.

Small doesn't equate to less work. Small seems to mean more dental issues since it's harder to get into those tiny mouths to keep them clean.

Then do you want a shedder or hypoallergenic? Hypo means regular visits to a groomer.

I'll also recommend rescue over buying of course. And that doesn't have to mean a problematic dog.

There are actually some very cute poodle mixes out there.

Got a 20 lbs shih-tzu right now. Was never super athletic. Sometimes I wish I had a canine companion to keep me company on runs. I'd take the neighbour's golden retriever but he's had some hip problems that I wouldn't wanna make worse.

bianchi10 12-07-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2629794)
C'mon Man. A little all black poodle with a black collar and a black picnic basket with a little black bell on your "Black Betty" Spec. How cute would that be... :)

:D Haha that would be pretty epic!

Robot870 12-07-2019 05:40 PM

Lol ^

FlashUNC 12-07-2019 05:47 PM

Find the shelter dog you connect best with. Go have fun. Adopt, don't shop.

Elefantino 12-07-2019 05:57 PM

Retired greyhounds make great pets. Get one that is cat-friendly and have one of each.

gbcoupe 12-07-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2629805)
Find the shelter dog you connect best with. Go have fun. Adopt, don't shop.

This, if you want a dog. Actually in my experience 2 is better. No more trouble than 1 and keep each other company while you're away.

If you like cats better, that'll work too. They're a little less work than dogs. Adopt an adult or kitten. Plenty of them around. We have a couple odd balls, but for the most part have been blessed with very good personalities.