The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Talk me out of this (BMW content) (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245314)

Hank Scorpio 12-06-2019 07:46 PM

OT: Talk me out of this (BMW content)

So I don't really need a new car but my current one, 2014 Subaru Outback, is about exciting to drive as a fart in church. I know, I know it is paid off, I am a dad, increase my contribution to her 529 account instead, blah blah, blah but coming from a history of sportbikes and sports cars I have that itch. So is this the money pit I am envisioning it may become? I am a decent mechanic and can handle most routine repairs/maintenance myself, large repairs wound have to go back to the shop as I don't have a garage at the present time.

Planning on going to take look tomorrow and test fit the child seat in it.

https://www.paulmillervw.com/exotic-...28c7fc0ec3.htm

No idea why it is listed as an exotic-used.

Dired 12-06-2019 07:47 PM

Great car, go for it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

molly47 12-06-2019 07:54 PM

bmw

go for it, you only live once

jamesdak 12-06-2019 07:55 PM

Never had a Bimmer I didn't like.

Currently have this 2016 340i M Sport that is a real blast to drive yet practical.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169251654.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169251662.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169251661.jpg

I vote, go for it!

tv_vt 12-06-2019 07:57 PM

Jeez, that seems like a good deal. Very low miles and good condition. Automatics are easier to find than sticks. If that were a manual, it would be a very small needle in a big haystack.

It is one version older than current, or maybe two now with the 2020 models. But wagon isn't in current lineup. That one has the 6 cyl, current ones have the turbo 4 with more HP and better mileage, but cost more. Small detail, but I hear the cup holders drive people nuts.

I have a 2015 328 wagon - love it. Best car I've ever had. Thought long and hard about your older model, but decided to try to buy as new as possible to avoid nitpicky wear issues.

That is a really good price, though. I'm sure you would absolutely love the car as far as driving experience, especially compared to the Subaru. I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. Sorry! :)

glepore 12-06-2019 08:03 PM

I'll be the voice of negativity. Among car folks, BMW lost its way in the aughts.
Ridiculous model proliferation, but what's worse is interior quality that's fallen way down the foodchain along with other reliability and service issues. The cars are built for the lease crowd.
I spend a lot of time on various euro car boards, and this is pretty much a unanimous opinion. Some participants that actively trade used vehicles routinely express this same sentiment.

jamesdak 12-06-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glepore (Post 2629490)
I'll be the voice of negativity. Among car folks, BMW lost its way in the aughts.
Ridiculous model proliferation, but what's worse is interior quality that's fallen way down the foodchain along with other reliability and service issues. The cars are built for the lease crowd.
I spend a lot of time on various euro car boards, and this is pretty much a unanimous opinion. Some participants that actively trade used vehicles routinely express this same sentiment.

Yep, saw these same kinds of comments before I bought my used E46 years ago. Most reliable car I've ever owned and a blast to drive. Then last year before picking up the 340i I saw the same sentiment. Bought the 340i and am honestly not worried at all. Now my son has one of those "high quality" Honda Elements. Biggest piece of crap for any car that has been in our family.

My vote is still, go for it! :banana:

19wisconsin64 12-06-2019 08:22 PM

I had a similar series BMW 3 series and it was a great car, but with an extremely small back seat. They changed the body style next year (2012) to have slightly better engines and transmissions and slightly large back seats. You may want to consider spending a few thousand more for a newer 3 series wagon. Great cars. We now drive a current model X3, and love it. The recent turbo 4 engines in the 3 series wagon are pretty amazing. They were about $50K new, and used are about $20K or so, and worth every penny. Just my car 2 cents.

Ken Robb 12-06-2019 08:36 PM

Does "Certified" mean it comes with a very inclusive 100,000 mile warranty? If so, that eliminates much of the worry about expensive repairs. This car looks almost new. This engine is a sweet runner but in this rather heavy car pushing 4 wheel drive you will have to choose drag race opponents very carefully. :)

rwsaunders 12-06-2019 08:37 PM

Buy it. I missed out on a red BMW 3 series wagon a few years ago that was in excellent shape, had low miles and was fairly priced. It sat in the lot for several months as everyone is focused on the SUV’s. When I finally decided to get serious...gone. Check the maintenance records and get ready for a serious cash outlay when the timing belt/water pump service is required...not sure if it’s 100K or 120K. Other than that, you should be able to put 150-200K on that car.

stien 12-06-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glepore (Post 2629490)
The cars are built for the lease crowd.

I'll echo that. My mechanic buddy HATES working on any recent BMWs.

woolly 12-06-2019 08:48 PM

Another vote for doing it. I love my 135i - so glad I found it very lightly-used 4 years ago. Much prefer the steering to their latest offerings. I was also fortunate enough to find an excellent independent shop that only services BMW's. I actually prefer going there with my car more than taking my wife's X3 to the dealership (and hers is still under full warranty).

bob heinatz 12-06-2019 10:10 PM

This potentially will be a endless money pit. My wife and I have owned numerous BMW's new and used and the quality has definitely slipped in the last 10 - 15 years. Also if you never owned a german car the parts and repairs are extremely expensive. My wife and I are now happy Toyota owners.

eddief 12-06-2019 10:21 PM

how smooth are your roads?

how smooth is that suspension? how good are your teeth? can you smooth things out with lower tire pressure like your gravel bike? i had a manual trans 330i a ways back. i never got to the point of having to repair it cuz i hated driving it so much i sold it in less than 6 months. i loved the looks and the thought of owning a beemer. kinda like some crazy women i fell for.

i wonder if the car you are considering has this "feature?"

"At the heart of the BMW Start/Stop system is a beefier starter and a “glass-mat” 12-volt battery designed to handle the frequent starting. When the engine is warm and the cabin heating/cooling demands are in the right range, stopping at a light will be followed by a less than graceful shudder as the engine turns off. Next, the car turns the HVAC blower down to a gentle breeze to keep the electrical draw low. (Without a hybrid style battery, capacity is fairly low.) The car will automatically start the engine when you release the brake (or when the car decides the engine needs to run for cabin cooling.) Engine restarts are far from seamless with engine cranking, a shudder and a delay to forward progress while the ZF 8-speed’s hydraulics re-pressurize. Passengers used to smooth start/stop cycles in hybrid cars found the start/stop cycles “abrupt” and “jarring.” I found the fuel savings worth the commotion, but if your tastes differ, BMW offers an “off” button. If you live in a hot climate like Phoenix, don’t expect the system to start/stop too often."

how'd i do?

Blue Jays 12-06-2019 10:30 PM

Good luck with the planned BMW vehicle purchase, Hank Scorpio.
You may wish to bring one of your bicycles to ensure they fit inside.