The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rivendell saved for now... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218496)

malbecman 02-27-2018 06:25 PM

Rivendell saved for now...

Just got this email, good on all of you that chipped in. Lets hope they keep the lights on.... :)

Thanks to you and not anything we did, in less than a week we went from me sure we’d be gone in four months — a fear I didn’t spread to the crew here— to solid money footing and optimism. Because of what you did, we can pay bills, buy inventory, pay credit card debts, pay decent chunks toward bikes already ordered and too late to take back, and pay off most of our line of credit. You must be wondering how much we took in. Businesses don’t customarily talk about specifics like that, but what you’ve done for us isn’t customary, either, and why should you, of all life on earth, have to be curious? t’s still trickling in, and we appreciate it all, but since last Th afternoon we’ve deposited a little more than $215,000.

I wondered whether or not to say the number, the only hesitation being that it might make some of you feel as though your $10 contribution for the gift certificate was a drop in the ocean. No! This had to be a massive collective effort. It would not have worked any other way, and there’s no ranking of contributions. Well...almost. BT bought a ten for the cause. That’s the one that meant the most to me, personally. Thanks, Brian. Holy cow.

Thanks to the rest of you, too—individuals and forums and websites and instagrammers and all those social media things that I don’t technically understand but I know work and made such a big difference here. If I name one I should name them all, but if I try I’ll forget one and feel horrible, so--argh-- thanks. BIG difference.

No simple thanks conveys what any of us are feeling, which is so much deeper and more complicated than that. What we’re feeling is huge relief, elation, and disbelief, and pressured, in a good way, to be worthy of it.

We have a restart traction, and we’re not going to blow it and waste your help.

From now on we’ll order and stock more conservatively, so we’re bound to sell out faster and might be out of stock when you finally want it. We’ll be better at the business, but we won’t change what’s working already, and I promise won’t get more mellow about bicycles or gear. We’re not joining the World Team.

It’s true that you saved Rivendell Bicycle Works and secured a future for the kinds of gear we cause to be, but it’s also an understatement. That’s just stuff. What you saved were jobs for the best people I know. You’re keeping us together, and we thank you for that and will never, ever ask again. — G

thwart 02-27-2018 06:30 PM

Wow.

That's a lot of goodwill.

Hope it works out... as stated, good to be radical in terms of ideas about biking, but a bit more conservative in business decisions...

sales guy 02-27-2018 06:30 PM

$215,000....wow!!!!

Louis 02-27-2018 06:35 PM

Good news, but how long until the next crisis?

Lurching from one cash crunch to the next isn't a long-term strategy, and Grant's been sending out this sort of plea intermittently for years. Something in the business model has to change. That's easy for me to say from where I sit, but this has been a continuous problem, so I don't think I'm exaggerating.

eddief 02-27-2018 06:56 PM

i am fond of the Riv

and glad they will live another day. I can appreciate a lot of their stuff, even though mostly not my style these days. I ride the biggest bike I can cuz DBRK and GP said I should. But I still shake my head at double top tubes...for no good reason I can see. Making a stout bike stouter for looks is against my better judgement for bikes and selling them.

rnhood 02-27-2018 06:58 PM

Yes, this is certainly not the first time he has launched a poor mouth campaign. He needs to get his business sustainable regardless of how this might affect his product offerings. Time to come of age.

pbarry 02-27-2018 07:14 PM

Impressive outpouring of generosity. Maybe consider a move to cheaper rent district/county/state? No need for a web based co. to be where they are. And maybe consider a few changes with the frames. The Appaloosa looks like my 1984 Ross Mt. Hood..

Riv's staunch anti-World Team view has given others like Black Mountain an opening which they deservedly fill. Wish them the best, but doing the same thing over and and almost failing won't keep working. Yes, been in the biz and sunscribed to the Reader when it came out. :beer:

nickl 02-27-2018 07:24 PM

Grant dodged a bullet. Now to avoid another reoccurrence he needs to put together a sustainable business plan. Perhaps a good first step would be an evaluation of his product offerings...some of the frames in his catalog appear to have very minimal appeal to the cycling enthusiasts that comprise his target demographic.

Just a suggestion.

weisan 02-27-2018 07:33 PM

http://alicehui.com/bike/grant.jpg

pbarry 02-27-2018 07:56 PM

Thanks, Weisan, for posting the screen shot. Re-reading for the third time, I don't think Grant gets the bigger picture. It's not just about inventory management.

R3awak3n 02-27-2018 07:59 PM

I didn't comment on the other 50 threads... but they got 215k because people have some appreciation for what Riv did for cycling.

Will this keep Riv afloat for a while? Its tough to say, they definitely need to change their business structure that is for sure. I know they want to stick to their roots which is awesome but sometimes screws you.

pbarry 02-27-2018 08:05 PM

Their roots are being retro and iconoclastic while the world passes them by. :eek: That's fine, but thrive or fail on those same roots. Really, Riv doesn't offer a decent front rando bag?

FlashUNC 02-27-2018 08:16 PM

I get it's part of the whole bit, but they've gotta find some better marketing. How does the rando/gravel crew largely miss out on the groad explosion they helped create?

pbarry 02-27-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2321462)
I get it's part of the whole bit, but they've gotta find some better marketing. How does the rando/gravel crew largely miss out on the groad explosion they helped create?

Marketing AND product. Being focused on friction shifters and long wheelbases they missed out everything else: Wider rear end spacing and through axles, 1x drivetrains, faster and more supple tires, bikepacking equipment, et al. Shellacked bar tape only goes so far.

beeatnik 02-27-2018 08:38 PM

I like the Internet's style.