The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MSR is tomorrow who are you picks to win??? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235723)

45K10 03-22-2019 09:11 AM

MSR is tomorrow who are you picks to win???

MSR is always a hard race to pick a winner. I am not sure what the weather is supposed to be but I'm going to pick a sort of a dark horse and go with Groenewegen.

Who ya got?

MattTuck 03-22-2019 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want to pick for the special prize, throw your picks in this thread.

As for MSR, here's the betting odds.

My feel good pick is Degenkolb, but he's just never looked the same after the crash. I'm leaning toward Alaphilippe.

GregL 03-22-2019 09:43 AM

I'm picking Alaphilippe. He's on form, he's confident, he's a good tactician, and he has one heck of a doctor...

Greg

FlashUNC 03-22-2019 09:44 AM

I say a sprinter wins it this year, so Ewan or Gaviria are my picks.

MattTuck 03-22-2019 09:46 AM

Recon Ride on Cyclocosm

ultraman6970 03-22-2019 11:49 AM

ewan??? really?

trener1 03-22-2019 11:53 AM

Why are you so surprised by Ewan? he won the sprint behind Nibali last year.

MattTuck 03-22-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2517185)
I say a sprinter wins it this year, so Ewan or Gaviria are my picks.

I'm not sure. This year, it seems like a bunch of teams are bringing dual threat teams, with one rider a possibly contesting the sprint, while another looks like a wildcard for a Poggio attack.

I'm not sure if this 'comfort' in having a sprinter in the back pocket doesn't make it more likely for an attack to stick. If a few strong teams have a guy in an attack, it becomes unclear who is going to expend the energy in the group to chase it down.

FlashUNC 03-22-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 2517303)
I'm not sure. This year, it seems like a bunch of teams are bringing dual threat teams, with one rider a possibly contesting the sprint, while another looks like a wildcard for a Poggio attack.

I'm not sure if this 'comfort' in having a sprinter in the back pocket doesn't make it more likely for an attack to stick. If a few strong teams have a guy in an attack, it becomes unclear who is going to expend the energy in the group to chase it down.

But doesn't that provide more incentive to chase? If everyone's got a sprinter in their hip pocket, teams will be more likely to chase as they've got their respective aces in the hole.

weisan 03-22-2019 12:54 PM

Óscar Freire

MattTuck 03-22-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2517310)
But doesn't that provide more incentive to chase? If everyone's got a sprinter in their hip pocket, teams will be more likely to chase as they've got their respective aces in the hole.

maybe :)

I think it probably will be a sprint. just saying that if enough teams think they have a guy for the Poggio, maybe they aren't as aggressive up the climb and thus makes it easier for such a split to happen.

If everyone is committed to their sprinter, then for sure, they will chase. Just looking at the Alaphilippe/Viviani, Sagan/Bennet, Nibali/Colbrelli, pairing - I could see how those teams could be conflicted. If a break goes up the road, a lot of eyes will look to UAE with 2 of the stronger sprinters, Gaviria and Kristoff, to close gaps.

AngryScientist 03-22-2019 01:00 PM

Kittel is my pick!

where can i watch this??

trener1 03-22-2019 01:00 PM

Lotto for Ewan will be committed to the chase and Jumbo if Grenowagon makes it over the hills, along with of course UAE.
So those are 3 teams that are going to be all in for the sprint.

trener1 03-22-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2517331)
Kittel is my pick!

Is he your pick for DFL or DNF? :banana:

Sorry just couldn't resist.

cmg 03-22-2019 01:02 PM

Sam Bennett, young rider that tasted victory recently. He's in good form and if tries to break early he'll take enough riders with him to burn out the rivals for Sagan.