The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chinese CF wheels (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276721)

tripmaster 12-05-2021 02:56 PM

Chinese CF wheels

I was thinking of getting a disc TT wheel from lightcarbon.com, but I read that light bicycle is the more reputable CF builder. Those wheels arent much cheaper than Hunt's wheels though for regular wheels...

Any good place to poke around that anecdotal quality reports? Im less worried about the disc wheel than I would be about regular wheels, tbh.

vespasianus 12-05-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripmaster (Post 3019387)
I was thinking of getting a disc TT wheel from lightcarbon.com, but I read that light bicycle is the more reputable CF builder. Those wheels arent much cheaper than Hunt's wheels though for regular wheels...

Any good place to poke around that anecdotal quality reports? Im less worried about the disc wheel than I would be about regular wheels, tbh.

Not sure what the issue is? Light Bicycle makes darn good rims and with quality hubs, they last a lifetime. Not sure if Hunt wheels are any better.

Mr B 12-05-2021 08:09 PM

Hunt wheels are made entirely in Taiwan. Which is fine, as is Made in China.
What was the question?

krooj 12-05-2021 08:17 PM

Caveat emptor - for all the positive reviews you'll find some horror stories and I'd be way more inclined to ride a disc set than anything rim-brake. The issue isn't necessarily with the rims or wheel builds themselves, but lack of QA and warranty issues. There is a thread on WW wherein Carbon-Ti hubs were initially blamed for cracked hub flanges, only to later find that the wheels were way over tension from the Farsports factory.

I'll also say that I'd be leery of buying something higher end, such as Enve, Campy, etc. used. I've been burned first hand on some Enve 3.4s that I thought were a smoking deal, only to get them home and see what I confirmed was delamination of the brake track. Enve has excellent customer service, FWIW.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should just bite the bullet and get something reputable. There are lots of mid-range CF wheels from Specialized and Trek that are basically decent rims laced to a rebadged DT350 hubs. Certainly not hot ****, but at least you have decent support and warranty.

jimoots 12-05-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 3019531)
Hunt wheels are made entirely in Taiwan. Which is fine, as is Made in China.
What was the question?

I think OP is asking the difference between lightbicycle.com and "lightcarbon"

Light Bicycle is the one that has always been touted as top tier Chinese carbon, along with Winspace/Hyper, Farsports, Nextie, BTLOS

That said I am unsure if it is a genuine question from OP, they may be seeding the website/brand for search engine optimisation purposes. I only say this as they have a low post count.

notoriousdjw 12-05-2021 08:46 PM

I've built several sets of wheels with Light Bicycle AR46 and AR36 rims which have been very high quality and easy to build. Recently I had a set built by the lightbicycle North America group which come out of Vancouver Island BC. Mostly it was because I could get AR46 rims laced to DT240 Centerlock hubs with Sapim d-lights for about what it would cost me to build them myself with DT350 hubs. The wheels were delivered true and round with good spoke tension.

I have no experience with other brands but lightbicycle is good. I was also considering BTLOS based on feedback here (and I like assymetric rims for disc builds).

jkbrwn 12-05-2021 08:48 PM

Think OP is genuinely asking a question. Doesn’t seem to be anything untoward going on here? Damn y’all.

thegunner 12-05-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

since a bunch of people don't seem to be answering the actual question:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...97745#p1697745

there's a giant thread on lightbicycle with actual reviews

Toeclips 12-05-2021 09:46 PM

I thought this was an interesting video by GNC trying to trash a set of Winspace wheels
Fun to watch and informative
https://youtu.be/DFCPfbVC74M

John H. 12-05-2021 10:44 PM

Light-Bicycle

I don't know about Light Carbon- But I have lots of personal experience with Light-Bicycle wheels and rims. They are a good operation and make a quality product. Their complete builds are also good-

CAAD 12-05-2021 11:11 PM

Weight weenies also has a long thread about farsports wheels. I have 2 sets with one on the way. Many thousands of miles on my farsports wheels without issue. Lightweight, durable, affordable. The big brands are laughing all the way to the bank charging north of $2500 for plastic wheels.

txsurfer 12-06-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAAD (Post 3019622)
Weight weenies also has a long thread about farsports wheels. I have 2 sets with one on the way. Many thousands of miles on my farsports wheels without issue. Lightweight, durable, affordable. The big brands are laughing all the way to the bank charging north of $2500 for plastic wheels.

Built usually on the same molds with the same techniques. I built a few boats and while not bicycle wheels, lamination, resins and molding are similar. Some would say we pioneered it.

I'm getting ready to order my first set of lightbicycle as well. I've got 12k miles on a set of Hunt aero 34 alloy disc and those have been hard miles as I'm not easy on them. Never even bothered to true/adjust or swap bearings. Lots of quality wheels out there without big name price tags

lesserevil 12-06-2021 01:12 AM

Go Light Bicycle!

A fan of LB wheels builds and rims myself. On my 11th pair of wheels from them, never had an issue besides not being able to keep a bike longer than a year :help: lol

oldpotatoe 12-06-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Don't have personal experience with either but I do have extensive experience with BTLOS, another Chinese carbon wheel/rim maker and IME, first quality...

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the carbon rims coming out of China are made in the same, 2 or 3 factories...

Davist 12-06-2021 07:13 AM

I have both farsports (road) and light bicycle wheels (gravel) and have been very pleased. I chose farsport vs hunt based on getting DT350 hubs and xray spokes vs "generic" from hunt (some friends have hunt and they've been very good though) for less $$, seemed like a better value to me.