The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sep Vanmarcke no likey Di2 @Roubaix (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=236618)

Clean39T 04-15-2019 09:26 AM

Sep Vanmarcke no likey Di2 @Roubaix

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vanm...ce-at-roubaix/

For the love of God why isn't there a reset button for pros?

Sicko mode and game over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MattTuck 04-15-2019 09:30 AM

Seemed like the gap was big enough for the team cars of the lead group to be up with them, surprised it took so long for the team car to work its way up to him.

bicycletricycle 04-15-2019 09:32 AM

I wonder what causes something like this? A friend of mine had some sand clog up his buttons on di2 . Is this common or is it a software thing?

batman1425 04-15-2019 09:37 AM

RD wire could have shaken loose from the mech

Lovetoclimb 04-15-2019 09:37 AM

My friend has di2 full road setup on his ibis Hakka and i have the same but with clutch Ultegra rear on mine. Neither of us are particularly easy on the bikes a d we’ve never had a problem. Must just be a gamble with jarring and movement from riding over such terrain. Add in a little dust and ...

Also the inherent risk of electronics I guess. Sad day for him though. Between that and Wout’s mechanicals/crashes two possible winners taken out.

oldpotatoe 04-15-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 2527290)
I wonder what causes something like this? A friend of mine had some sand clog up his buttons on di2 . Is this common or is it a software thing?

Lots of connectors(like 10?) and altho they 'snap' into place really securely, I'm betting a connector came loose or a wire got cut...

onetwentyeight 04-15-2019 09:42 AM

There is a reset button in di2. Push and hold the button on the junction box for 5+ seconds while pedaling till it turns red and flashes. it will then run through a crash recovery mode. The derailleur will cycle through all the gears and re-connect the motor to the cage to restore shifting capabilities.

martl 04-15-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 2527288)
Seemed like the gap was big enough for the team cars of the lead group to be up with them, surprised it took so long for the team car to work its way up to him.

possibly:
At that point of the race, the field tends to be scattered out quite a bit, lots of small groups relatively close to each other. No idea in which position the team cars are allowed to sit. Also, possibly very difficult to pass these smaller and bigger groups with all the 90° bends and narrow carrefours. We saw how hard it was for drivers to pass single cars, its 2x harder the other way around due to the riders not expecting cars overtaking.

Clean39T 04-15-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetwentyeight (Post 2527298)
There is a reset button in di2. Push and hold the button on the junction box for 5+ seconds while pedaling till it turns red and flashes. it will then run through a crash recovery mode. The derailleur will cycle through all the gears and re-connect the motor to the cage to restore shifting capabilities.

Seemed like he was trying that at one point. It was agonizing to watch.

DA mechanical is so good (relatively speaking ;)) - why gamble w Di2 on this of all days?

Guess it would send the wrong signal from a sponsorship perspective.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ultraman6970 04-15-2019 09:49 AM

Next year I was him I would go mechanic... Feel sorry for him... at least he is not crying Anyd Schleck style :P

Sure some riders picked mechanic just for this race. Contador was not fan of electronic at all...

nooneline 04-15-2019 09:56 AM

During the race I saw him pressing the reset button, trying to get that to work. I think the real question here is, what happened that got the Di2 stuck in the 11? A wire shaking loose wouldn't do it (and those wires snap together very tightly) - I saw another interview with somebody else from the team who said that the derailleur was pretty smashed and barely functional. Seems like whatever was responsible for that would have done in a mechanical RD, too.

MattTuck 04-15-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martl (Post 2527300)
possibly:
At that point of the race, the field tends to be scattered out quite a bit, lots of small groups relatively close to each other. No idea in which position the team cars are allowed to sit. Also, possibly very difficult to pass these smaller and bigger groups with all the 90° bends and narrow carrefours. We saw how hard it was for drivers to pass single cars, its 2x harder the other way around due to the riders not expecting cars overtaking.

Probably right. I know they have wheels at the side of the road. I wonder if they'll consider (if it is allowed) whole bikes at the side of the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2527301)
Seemed like he was trying that at one point. It was agonizing to watch.

Yes, it was. Guy can't catch a break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 2527302)
Next year I was him I would go mechanic... Feel sorry for him... at least he is not crying Anyd Schleck style :P

If not for his injury at E3, he's probably have been the captain at Flanders. He was super strong riding support, and again super strong at Roubaix, just had this problem with the gearing. Next year looks good for him, as they appear to have figured out his training build up for these races.

I hope he wins both races.

shoota 04-15-2019 10:00 AM

I'm just here to see what the Sram haters have to say.

shinomaster 04-15-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 2527290)

Racing over cobble stones destroys things and always has.

echappist 04-15-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 2527302)

Sure some riders picked mechanic just for this race. Contador was not fan of electronic at all...

more pertinently, Cancellara used mechanical for Flanders and Roubaix

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 2527311)
I'm just here to see what the Sram haters have to say.

I had the shifter paddle on my RHS Sram Red shifter snap during a race. Granted, local training race, and the big hitters would have dropped me eventually, but I was also far ahead of rest of the field (which still contained a few big hitters). Would have gotten a top 5 in a 1/2/3 race (by staying with the other cat-3s in the break), but had to watch the break sail up the road when my chain got dumped on the 11t...