The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog justification (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219814)

duff_duffy 03-25-2018 07:49 PM

Dog justification

1 Attachment(s)
How can I possibly say no to this request...found on page 6 of 20 on why we need to get a dog!

Lanternrouge 03-25-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duff_duffy (Post 2336719)
How can I possibly say no to this request...found on page 6 of 20 on why we need to get a dog!

That's some clever writing. Still, you should only get a dog if the whole family really wants one and is committed to giving the dog the best life possible. I'd also add in a request that you adopt and consider an older dog. They are much easier than puppies and will know how good they have it. This is from someone whose never had a dog I didn't love even though I've had some bikes that I didn't love (though I don't think ever a bike I didn't enjoy).

RobJ 03-25-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duff_duffy (Post 2336719)

You’re done dude! And your kids know you all too well. Parlay the puppy for them into the Ti frame for you and it’s a win-win. Besides you’re the one who is going to be walking the dog in the dark/cold/rain.

Dogs are great beings that could teach us all a thing or too. I’ve never regretted having one (or two). Someone put a lot of effort into that letter so I think it’s a pretty strong desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustyrider 03-25-2018 07:57 PM

Solid appeals and consideration of audience...the answer has to be yes!

thegunner 03-25-2018 08:06 PM

poorly researched... a trek ti bike? *tsk tsk tsk* how can they be responsible enough to take care of a puppy when they're so sloppy with their argument?

[this is semi-sarcastic if it's not obvious]

duff_duffy 03-25-2018 08:08 PM

I went from no way to maybe.....by tomorrow I think I’ll be a yes. I didn’t think I could afford a dog but the calculations on page 18 of her report clearly shows we can afford one and all the upkeep! She even has a slush fund to pay any adoption fees we may incur. Between medical bills and now this dog I’m going to be broke but page 19 of her report clearly shows living in the moment with a dog is critical to a child’s development and worth any cost-

duff_duffy 03-25-2018 08:12 PM

Oh, and I’ve already had a serious conversation with her about American made titanium bikes vs carbon....she apologized to the forum members for inadequate research on the Trek model lines.

AngryScientist 03-25-2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanternrouge (Post 2336720)
Still, you should only get a dog if the whole family really wants one and is committed to giving the dog the best life possible.

i'd echo this. shelters are filled with dogs because kids wanted them, and puppies are too cute to resist, but the reality is that dogs, and puppies especially are a ton of work, and can be painfully expensive if some health issues arise. they will try your patience, chew your furniture and pee on your rugs. if you're not 100% in, you shouldnt let yourself be persuaded.

i'm a dog lover 100%, and believe that dogs enrich people's lives like nothing/no one else can.

it's my view that once you make the commitment to take a dog in - they are part of the family and need to be treated as such. no matter what they do, they'll always be family.

good luck on your decision, but don't take it lightly.

thegunner 03-25-2018 08:29 PM

i recently got a dog (a year ago) and it definitely costs a lot more than i anticipated (from food, boarding / daycare, random toys and pet supplies, and just general vet costs) it's about 3x what i had planned on. also, my riding free time definitely tanked, so there's that too.

that said, i love my puppy and i wouldn't trade him for the world.

source: am an overly analytical engineer and someone who did meticulous research on this, still ended up way off.

C40_guy 03-25-2018 09:19 PM

I never wanted a dog. Neither did my wife. Our teenage daughter pushed for one for a while, and finally, she stuck a photo of a cavachon puppy in front of us and we were done.

9 years later...it was one of the best things we ever did. He is a part of our life and has made it richer and more interesting.

You should consider pet insurance as part of your pet budget. It may keep you from having to pay out of pocket for those unexpected expenses. A puppy eating a sock can turn into a $2000 expense...

speedevil 03-25-2018 09:30 PM

To the OP - your entire family wins, for hopefully a very long time.

I've had dogs around me for a very long time - I've trained field champion retrievers and master hunter retrievers - companions until old age took them from me. We have dogs that are with us because they're part of the family but have earned no ribbons or trophies - and they don't need to. They are just an integral part of the family.

Our almost-year-old pup Pixel, gets so excited when my wife gets home from work that she just can't control herself. I know the smiles she puts on our faces because she's so happy when we get back home.

They are worth it. Many. Times. Over.

Remember - they are a part of your life, but you are their entire life.

jamesdak 03-25-2018 10:01 PM

Hmmmm, sitting here a month into my recovery from a biking accident caused by a stupid dog that came out of nowhere and ran right into my front wheel. That's a month unable to ride so far. My advice on dogs is......:no: :mad:

;)

CNY rider 03-25-2018 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 2336787)
Hmmmm, sitting here a month into my recovery from a biking accident caused by a stupid dog that came out of nowhere and ran right into my front wheel. That's a month unable to ride so far. My advice on dogs is......:no: :mad:

;)

More likely a stupid owner problem than a stupid dog problem.

old fat man 03-26-2018 05:18 AM

No way. No dogs here. Let her enjoy dog sitting for others for a few years and see how much she enjoys all the responsibility. My kids want a dog. That means I'll get to walk it, feed it, pay for it, clean up after it, etc. I have two dependents already. Not interested in a 3rd.

clyde the point 03-26-2018 05:22 AM

Just like people, you can raise them with the best intentions, training, consistency and still have an Al Queda terrorist. For at least 10 years. That's where dog crates come in handy. And electric collars. www.leerburg.com.