The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone near Vail CO to ride Copper Triangle this Thursday? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=112522)

DerekB 07-10-2012 02:41 PM

Anyone near Vail CO to ride Copper Triangle this Thursday?

I am looking for company to ride this Thursday July 12 starting in Vail, CO to ride the Copper Triangle. I am visiting from Philly and have been in Vail about a week. I have ridden the Vail pass twice, about 1 hour 20 minutes from town to the top of the pass. I would like to leave around 7:30 am, expect to ride a medium pace and hoping to find someone to help show me the route.

Bruce K 07-10-2012 03:12 PM

I wish I was there to go with you

The route is pretty simple - go up over Vail Pass. Watch your descent on the bike path down to Copper, especially as you get close and through the tunnel. Refuel here or at the convenience store/gas station at the light.

Ride through Copper on the main road and turn right at the traffic light. Up Fremont Pass and down to Leadville (go into Leadville for refuel again).

Come back out towards Copper and turn towards Tennessee Pass (public restriom on left at the top of ghe pass) and Minturn. Up over Tenessee and then down until Battle Mt. (shorter steeper climb). Then down through Minturn (a fun place to stop but you're close to done).

Through Minturn and just after you go under the highway you get on the bike path on your right back to Vail.

Look at the Copper Triangle Alpine Classic site for a decent map.

I am sure locals will have more info

Have fun and bring a light rain jacket just in case.

BK

chuckred 07-10-2012 03:12 PM

Sorry I can't join you, but...

If you don't find company, it's not a route that should cause any real navigation challenges. Starting early is smart if the typical weather pattern of afternoon monsoonal thunderstorms returns. Also, just a reminder - if you're still in town next weekend, the Triple By Pass ride is going through, and it'll be a zoo (I'll be one of the clowns). It would be a good time to rent a mountain bike, go rafting, or otherwise hide out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekB (Post 1169284)
I am looking for company to ride this Thursday July 12 starting in Vail, CO to ride the Copper Triangle. I am visiting from Philly and have been in Vail about a week. I have ridden the Vail pass twice, about 1 hour 20 minutes from town to the top of the pass. I would like to leave around 7:30 am, expect to ride a medium pace and hoping to find someone to help show me the route.

Scuzzer 07-10-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckred (Post 1169299)
next weekend, the Triple By Pass ride is going through, and it'll be a zoo

Thanks for reminding me. We were going to ride from Fairplay to the top of Vail Pass and back on Saturday but I think we'll turn around in Frisco instead.

Like chuckred said, start early. Like before 7 am early.

gdw 07-10-2012 05:19 PM

Check the status of Rte 24 before you go. There's a big sinkhole near Red Cliff which has closed at least one lane to thru traffic and there's a chance the whole road might be closed again.
http://www.leadvilleherald.com/artic...8.html?photo=0

firerescuefin 07-10-2012 05:30 PM

Really wish I could shoot up there..was actually supposed to be there all week:confused:

PLEASE bring a lightweight rain jacket...and be mentally prepared for anything weather wise

DerekB 07-10-2012 10:11 PM

Thanks all. I did ride a few days ago with several people getting ready for the Triple Bypass. One is planing to do the Double Triple Bypass!
I heard about the sinkhole today and will check.
Still would love some company!!!!

pablo pinchasso 07-10-2012 10:15 PM

do not try this this week.. Road closed because of sink hole!

just watched the news and a Large sinkhole opened up north of leadville and the road is CLOSED from Red Cliff to leadville because of this sinkhole. and old railroad tunnel below the road caved in...100 feet below the roadway.....

Will be closed till the road is repaired. I-70 is open but not the above road.

See Channel 9 Denver for info or CDOT website

DerekB 07-10-2012 11:32 PM

Pablo, you are correct. 24 is closed. I do wonder if it is still possible to bike through there. I will check again tomorrow, and perhaps I will just ride an out and back from Vail to Leadville.

chuckred 07-11-2012 10:54 AM

Or go to Loveland Pass... That road seems to have much more room than the highway to Leadville...

Honey 07-11-2012 11:03 AM

huge personal bias here

but you can ride back and forth over climax (dowd junction[minturn] to redcliff and back) a few times. you can also ride over to avon and ride up to the bottom of the beav if you want to mix in a little variety to satiate your climbing needs.

Personal bias but the dowd to redcliff and back is the best section of the loop, the rest varies from hard to painful to moderately fun. hauling down climax to minturn is the bees knees though. Also, you can stop in redcliff (hang a right after the bridge) and grab some food and a beer at Mangos if you need a breather. It makes for one of the better days you can spend on a bike.

Not sure what your bike selection is but if you have a crosser or a hardtail you can ride the Shrine Pass loop (Up vail pass, then instead of descending into copper, you head up through shrine pass and down into leadville,) I haven't looked at where the collapse is but that might get you around it. it's a great ride.

tiretrax 07-11-2012 02:14 PM

Will you still be there at the end of the month? I am planning to arrive arund the 26th and ride the Eagle River ride on the 28 and CT on 8/4.

bikser 07-11-2012 04:33 PM

Eagle-Vail

I'm doing the Eagle Vail ride as well. Wish I could get up there Thursday, would rather be riding than at work :bike:

sw3759 07-11-2012 05:22 PM

i've been in Frisco all this week and i rode the triangle loop yesterday and hiway 24 wasn't closed.i saw the sinkhole work and they had 1 lane closed for 100 yards in 2 places,bikes go right thru though. didnt even have to slow down.the road condition for the loop is the best i've ever seen besides the tiny bit of road work.
i'm might consider riding the loop again thursday but if you ride it solo it's hard to get lost.

DerekB 07-11-2012 09:30 PM

Sw3759 I would be happy to have company; I PM'd you.