The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Catalogs (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Serial Numbers Decoded (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078)

TexasJenny 07-24-2014 04:20 PM

Older Serotta Question
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys & gals,

I'm new to the forums, and to cycling in general. My dad, who was a roadie in his glory days, found this older Serotta for me off eBay a few years ago from a triathlete who thinks it's from the mid-90's.

Based on the serial # 71245, we are thinking it's actually from 87'. Is that correct? And can anyone else tell me more about this bike?

Thanks!
Jen

fiamme red 07-31-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasJenny (Post 1590591)
Hi guys & gals,

I'm new to the forums, and to cycling in general. My dad, who was a roadie in his glory days, found this older Serotta for me off eBay a few years ago from a triathlete who thinks it's from the mid-90's.

Based on the serial # 71245, we are thinking it's actually from 87'. Is that correct? And can anyone else tell me more about this bike?

Thanks!
Jen

Very nice bike! Maybe the SLX/SP Columbus sticker is a clue as to the date? I don't think I've seen that before. I guess it means that the main tubes are SLX, rear triangle is SP.

Kingfisher 08-03-2014 02:12 PM

Colorado Legend Ti
 
Hey guys, just won a legend Ti on the bay for my wife..serial numbers are
TI-55-L-00075. seller says it was on of the ones made for coors racing team. i know the TI is titanium, 55 cm, L is for long tube tube?? does anyone know the significance of the 00075?

Thanks

dave thompson 08-03-2014 02:24 PM

The '00075' in the serial number denotes that it's the 75th one built of that model.

You can find out a lot more about your bike and a some geometry charts in this Serotta catalog: http://forums.thepaceline.net/attach...4&d=1291899437

Kingfisher 08-03-2014 02:32 PM

much appreciated..thanks

pcb 08-27-2014 01:45 PM

Fuquay/Serotta Custom CX Ser#
 
Just received the Greg Fuquay/Serotta Cross frame from oddsaabs, posting the ser# here for reference. Greg supposedly built the frame for himself while working at Serotta late-'80s to early-'90s, oddsaabs bought it from the guy Greg sold it to.

The bb shell is stamped: GF040990 (GF obviously his initials; 4/9/90 the build date?). The steerer tube has the same stamping plus: CX58032. Haven't seen a CX prefix listed here before, but it's a pretty common abbreviation for cyclocross. The frame is a 58cm, so this fits the '90s serial scheme, CX model, 58cm, #032.

Can't recall seeing any other Serotta 'cross frames, but haven't looked yet, either. This is a lugged frame, round tubes, straight stays, no chainstay bridge, no tubing sticker---very likely a blend of whatever Greg wanted and/or had around to use.

oliver1850 09-06-2014 05:36 AM

Thanks for the CX info. My 2008 (2009?) Heritage Classique CX also has the CX code.

I confirmed from an ebay seller that a 1994 Colorado TTR is coded TT. I'd guess time trial models in other years may have had the same code, but I have an older Tri-Colorado that lacks a serial number as far as I can tell. The steerer tube is stamped "58" but I can't find any other numbers.

Patrick1 10-08-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 1617060)
Thanks for the CX info. My 2008 (2009?) Heritage Classique CX also has the CX code.

I confirmed from an ebay seller that a 1994 Colorado TTR is coded TT. I'd guess time trial models in other years may have had the same code, but I have an older Tri-Colorado that lacks a serial number as far as I can tell. The steerer tube is stamped "58" but I can't find any other numbers.

Hello, I recently purchased an old tri-Colorado and I cannot find a serial number either. It doesn't appear to have been filed off as far as I can tell. Can anyone explain?

Patrick
Classique ti ST 62 007
Tri-Colorado ?

Patrick1 10-14-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick1 (Post 1635400)
Hello, I recently purchased an old tri-Colorado and I cannot find a serial number either. It doesn't appear to have been filed off as far as I can tell. Can anyone explain?

Patrick
Classique ti ST 62 007
Tri-Colorado ?

Update: I found the serial number stamped on the right rear dropout. It had been covered in a thick layer of grease.

oliver1850 10-24-2014 02:01 PM

thanks Patrick.

It's on the inside of the Ritchey dropout.

mine is TB58 0262

addi61 11-04-2014 11:11 AM

Colorado Legend Ti?
 
Hi, I am looking at a bike for sale which is said to be a Colorado Legend Ti. The seller says the serial number is BR56817. I haven't seen this prefix pop up in my google searching. Does anyone have info on this? The bike has no logos on the sides, just a head badge. Thanks

elong8 11-05-2014 09:58 PM

Serial Numbers Decoded
 
My Serotta track bike is 90557. Not certain, but was told it was built in 89 for a National team member. Would love to know more.

rdunnenb 11-08-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarg (Post 1027618)
1997 legend ti

??-55L-00459

1st two letters are so lightly stamped I can't tell what they are.

Non custom but the L stand for long - top tube is 55.5
Edit/Delete Message

- Just saw this post -

I've got a '92 Colorado Ti and the first two letters are clearly stamped TI. I'd bet that's what are as well.

oliver1850 11-11-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elong8 (Post 1651653)
My Serotta track bike is 90557. Not certain, but was told it was built in 89 for a National team member. Would love to know more.

Yes, 1989 sounds right, indicated by the 1st digit. I'm not sure if it's the 57th bike built in May (05), or the 557th frame built that year. Either way I'd guess a mid year production date.

oliver1850 11-11-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addi61 (Post 1650721)
Hi, I am looking at a bike for sale which is said to be a Colorado Legend Ti. The seller says the serial number is BR56817. I haven't seen this prefix pop up in my google searching. Does anyone have info on this? The bike has no logos on the sides, just a head badge. Thanks

I don't recall the BR code. Did you look all through this thread?

I think 2003 was the first year for the HT badge, but since they come up for sale occasionally could have been added to anything. Take a look through the catalogs and see if frame details match anything - or post some pics and let forum members weigh in.

elong8 11-11-2014 05:09 PM

Serial Numbers Decoded
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have a Serotta road frame stamped C-69-E. * in addition to the other number. Attachment 1697889954

Any ideas?

oliver1850 11-11-2014 05:17 PM

That raised number is cast into the shell.

The stamped number that's obscured by paint is the Serotta number.

Seramount 11-11-2014 07:20 PM

I have a '98 (?) Ti Schwinn Paramount with the following on the bottom bracket:

CC 56 1538

why the CC code?

oliver1850 11-12-2014 07:14 AM

If you search the web you can find some comments by Curt Goodrich about the Match/Serotta Paramounts where he says that each company used their own serial numbers. It seems Serotta might have chosen something more descriptive than "CC" for the Paramount code though.

Seramount 11-12-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 1654827)
If you search the web you can find some comments by Curt Goodrich about the Match/Serotta Paramounts where he says that each company used their own serial numbers. It seems Serotta might have chosen something more descriptive than "CC" for the Paramount code though.

I read online somewhere that Serotta only made 530 Ti Paramount frames...so that doesn't seem to agree with the 1538 frame number either...

anyone else with a Ti Paramount have a s/n for comparison?

onomic 11-15-2014 04:25 PM

I have a Ti Paramount. I'm away on a trip right now but I'll be home on Tuesday and I'll check what mine says. I can't remember how it was marked but it was in the 1?? range. Not sure about the cc or size but I'll get back to you on it.

onomic 11-18-2014 05:01 PM

I just checked my Serotta ti Paramount, the serial# is SW 54 185. So no help with what your's might stand for. I assume SW is for Schwinn, 54 is the size, and 185 is the production number. Which all makes sense if they only built 530 of them. I hope someone else might have more info for you.

josephr 11-20-2014 08:06 PM

Paramount Ti - Serial # SW 54 250
 
1 Attachment(s)
Paramount Ti - Serial # SW 54 250, its the candied yellow / gold color

oliver1850 11-24-2014 04:55 PM

I'm wondering if Seramount's could be a custom. It would be hard to tell unless someone else has a 56, or the geo chart. I know the steel 56 had a 56 TT and a 155 mm HT. I'd guess the Ti was the same but don't know that for a fact.

josephr 11-24-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 1661354)
I'm wondering if Seramount's could be a custom. It would be hard to tell unless someone else has a 56, or the geo chart. I know the steel 56 had a 56 TT and a 155 mm HT. I'd guess the Ti was the same but don't know that for a fact.

IIRC, Seramount thinks his was a pre-production run model -- built to be approved by Schwinn. If that's the case, then wouldn't they just assign it a custom number?

Keith A 11-24-2014 08:03 PM

I didn't realize they did custom Paramounts from this era (steel or Ti).

Patrick1 11-24-2014 08:07 PM

Production number question
 
Please forgive me if the answer to this question is really obvious, when looking at the serial number, are the last set of numbers the production number of the model, or of the size? For example, I have st 62 007. So does that mean I have the 7th classique ti made? Or is it the 7th 62cm bike made?
Thanks
Patrick

josephr 11-24-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith A (Post 1661442)
I didn't realize they did custom Paramounts from this era (steel or Ti).

I'm not suggesting they did custom Paramounts, just suggesting that when Serotta did the test frames for the Schwinn approval, they were given a 'custom' serial number designation. All of the production run Paramount Ti frames from Serotta have had the SW serial pre-fix.

oliver1850 11-25-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick1 (Post 1661446)
Please forgive me if the answer to this question is really obvious, when looking at the serial number, are the last set of numbers the production number of the model, or of the size? For example, I have st 62 007. So does that mean I have the 7th classique ti made? Or is it the 7th 62cm bike made?
Thanks
Patrick

That would be the 7th Classique Ti made of any size.

oliver1850 11-25-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith A (Post 1661442)
I didn't realize they did custom Paramounts from this era (steel or Ti).

I don't have any knowledge of Paramount customs either, was just guessing as to possible reasons for the different two letter code on Seramount's frame.

I think the pre-production assumption makes sense. It would also explain the serial number that's higher than Paramount production is assumed to be.

Keith A 11-25-2014 02:38 PM

oliver1850 & josephr -- Thanks for the replies.

KevinPak 12-27-2014 01:44 PM

Hi all,

Reviving a semi-old thread although I'm trying to purchase a Legend Ti for the lady and need some help.

Trying to decipher the "P" in this serial - Cti46p259

Any clue ?
Thanks !

dave thompson 12-27-2014 03:33 PM

I've never seen a letter in the middle on Serotta serial numbers. Often the paint is thick enough over the number it can obscure it. Try lighting it from a side and perhaps that may help discern what it may be.

Otherwise the serial number indicates a stock CTi, size 46.

oliver1850 12-30-2014 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 1999 geo chart shows a 46P Legend. My guess is that it takes 650c wheels, the 4.8 BB drop would seem to confirm that.

oliver1850 02-07-2015 11:23 AM

TiMax: TM
 
See this thread for a custom TiMax coded CTM:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163054

bjf 02-16-2015 08:54 PM

Date of production?
 
Can anyone help me date this frame? CLE 54 024. Thanks.

oliver1850 02-21-2015 11:18 AM

I don't know this for certain but my best guess is that LE is the code for a Legend ST, which is a Legend with a carbon seat stay. CLE would be a custom.

2003 was the first year for the Legend ST. If your bike has the carbon stay, I'd say you have a 2003 Legend ST since they likely made at least 24 in the first year of production.

Let us know if you do have the ST stay so we can be sure of the LE code.

thanks

thebudge 03-03-2015 03:04 PM

Serotta Colorado II
 
I have a Serotta Colorado II with pearl white paint. Trying to figure the year of make (my guess is 1996, but could be earlier), and have a question about the serial number.

Serial number is: SC57X. Believe this means a Standard/stock Colorado, 57cm, but what does the X refer to?

Year: It has a complete Shimano Ultegra 600 groupset (with tri-colour bands), 8 speed, STI shifters, and internal cabling, pearl white paint scheme

Many thanks

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...e/DSCF4854.jpg

thebudge 03-04-2015 05:13 AM

Wondering if the X may refer to size of frame? The top tube is notably long on this frame (a 57cm, but top tube approx. 58cm C-C)

Also any suggestions on pricing welcome - I am looking to sell

Black Dog 03-04-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebudge (Post 1718873)
Wondering if the X may refer to size of frame? The top tube is notably long on this frame (a 57cm, but top tube approx. 58cm C-C)

Also any suggestions on pricing welcome - I am looking to sell

I think that the X was put on bikes that were experimental or built be employees for themselves on their own time. Dave Kirk will know the answer to this. I bet this bike is earlier than 1996. Check the catalogues to see what year the CSi came out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.