The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   On that stupid stuff Campag puts on UT BB cup threads! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=304647)

AngryScientist 02-27-2024 01:57 PM

On that stupid stuff Campag puts on UT BB cup threads!

Just venting. That hard cream colored looking compound is annoying. It mostly scrapes off, mixes with the grease I'm using and makes a mess. I would rather they just leave the threads bare like everyone else so we can apply our own thread prep. Why do they think this is necessary?

Spaghetti Legs 02-27-2024 04:04 PM

I have installed 2 sets of those cups, one set silver colored, the other the green color and the green ones had that stuff. It pissed me off too. I assume it’s a thread locker but was gritty, hard, and impossible to remove. I partially stripped the installation notches torqueing the cups to install and when finished they looked like they had been ridden 1000 miles already.

I’m glad someone else brought this up. I always thought mine were a one off.

fmradio516 02-27-2024 04:20 PM

ive experienced the same. Isnt the threadlocker useless if it dries before installation?

reuben 02-27-2024 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 3356633)
Just venting. That hard cream colored looking compound is annoying. It mostly scrapes off, mixes with the grease I'm using and makes a mess. I would rather they just leave the threads bare like everyone else so we can apply our own thread prep. Why do they think this is necessary?

Coming soon - Silca StripChip for Campy bottom brackets.

bil 02-27-2024 04:36 PM

HAHAHA
and I always thought it was me...

thank you for confirming that it isn't! ...

Mark McM 02-27-2024 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmradio516 (Post 3356687)
ive experienced the same. Isnt the threadlocker useless if it dries before installation?

A thread locker is anything that takes up space and increases friction in the threads. so a dried compound can act as a thread locker. Take for example, nyloc nuts, which use a solid piece of nylon:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_Lock_Nut.png

Nomadmax 02-27-2024 04:46 PM

I always brush the threads clean on new UT cups before install. They cake that stuff on there so thick it can cause binding.

bigbill 02-27-2024 06:19 PM

I must be a bad mechanic because I smeared grease over the threads and installed the cups. The first UT cups I installed in 2006 were Aye-talian and the DS backed out on the test ride. I relied on the gunk campy puts on the threads. After that, grease and gorilla torque. I've always been able to remove the cups.

tellyho 02-27-2024 06:43 PM

Argument for Shimano?

kytyree 02-27-2024 08:55 PM

I haven't messed with it lately but I remember thinking sometimes it was easier to remove than others. I used to use a wire brush but decided it was easier using a knife blade and cleaning the threads with that.

Elefantino 02-27-2024 09:02 PM

I’ve always been in the “must be Italian!” camp and just greased the frame, oomphed through the Campy sludge and been done with it.

Hindmost 02-27-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 3356791)
... “must be Italian!”...

On the other hand I assumed the threadlocker kept my far superior Italian threaded cup from backing out.

C40_guy 02-28-2024 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 3356791)
I’ve always been in the “must be Italian!” camp and just greased the frame, oomphed through the Campy sludge and been done with it.

I did that once on a newer Colnago...turned out to have British threads. :(

Spaghetti Legs 02-28-2024 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C40_guy (Post 3356851)
I did that once on a newer Colnago...turned out to have British threads. :(

Yes, my rant above was on an English thread Colnago EPS - probably the real reason I was so bitter.

e-RICHIE 02-28-2024 08:14 AM

i use an x-acto blade to remove all of it and then liberally grease the threads.

after i smoke a cigarette, i install the cups into a liberally greased bb shell.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::)
:cool::cool::)
;);):p