The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   For you metallurgists-ti galling (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127444)

oldpotatoe 04-07-2013 07:07 PM

Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemship (Post 1326222)
No worries, when you feel the tap doesn't want to go further just back off and clean it with a rag certainly no forcing it. (I always used compressed air and blow it off, my days in the machine shop) eventually you'll chase the galling out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bought a new tap, fresh bottle of cutting oil..ran the tap, actually went thru from both sides pretty easy..bolted RD to frame and.........same thing along with some really colorful sparks. So...swapped for a steel bolt. And all seems ok..still not sure *** is going on..I'm gonna blame it on Ben.

:eek:

Doohhh!!

cfox 04-07-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgilisMerlin (Post 1325945)
this just reminded me to re-copper paste my ride.

http://aws.bikepartsmart.com/media/c...image_2915.jpg

On my Ti bike I pull my BB and RD once a year and re copper paste. After reading this thread I just popped my RD and re pasted. It's a DA Di2 RD, that has a Ti bolt, right?

Tony T 04-07-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1326308)
Bought a new tap, fresh bottle of cutting oil..ran the tap, actually went thru from both sides pretty easy..bolted RD to frame and.........same thing along with some really colorful sparks. So...swapped for a steel bolt. And all seems ok..still not sure *** is going on..I'm gonna blame it on Ben.

:eek:

Doohhh!!

Same Ti bolt, or did you try a new Ti bolt?
[Edit: Never mind, I see you used a new bolt]

AgilisMerlin 04-07-2013 07:55 PM

Funky design

Merlin decided to put in a top and bottom stainless sleeve on their integrated headsets/head tube design

I am questioning at this point / it is bonded and was never meant to be removed in the first place. These inserts are what the bearings sit on / cane creek is-2

Curious if ti will eat the stainless over time, like it eats the shimano cups 6500. I have had large chunks of bb cups disappear over time?

AgilisMerlin 04-07-2013 08:10 PM

maybe i am wrong,

this looks like ti insert. anyone know?

curious

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photo...erlin/fork.jpg

firerescuefin 04-07-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgilisMerlin (Post 1326328)
Funky design

Merlin decided to put in a top and bottom stainless sleeve on their integrated headsets/head tube design

I am questioning at this point / it is bonded and was never meant to be removed in the first place. These inserts are what the bearings sit on / cane creek is-2

Curious if ti will eat the stainless over time, like it eats the shimano cups 6500. I have had large chunks of bb cups disappear over time?

They (merlin integrated sleeve) were designed to be replaceable. CK inset is a traditional/much better solution.

AgilisMerlin 04-07-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firerescuefin (Post 1326380)
They (merlin integrated sleeve) were designed to be replaceable. CK inset is a traditional/much better solution.

what specific tools need to pull and push the inserts, curious. King specific?

oh, do you know whether the original sleeves are ti?

firerescuefin 04-07-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgilisMerlin (Post 1326386)
what specific tools need to pull and push the inserts, curious. King specific?

oh, do you know whether the original sleeves are ti?

They were stainless. Not sure about the tools, but the LBS said the inset install was super easy and gave me back the old cups. They were treated. I can shoot a couple of pics with the inset installed if you want.

AgilisMerlin 04-07-2013 09:29 PM

thankyou

oldpotatoe 04-08-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 1326316)
Same Ti bolt, or did you try a new Ti bolt?
[Edit: Never mind, I see you used a new bolt]

Actually tried 3 different ti bolts..all samo.
Steel 'seems' ok. Gonna see if it comes out OK tomorrow. Daughter-in-law/Son having a baby in about 3 hours so kinda busy today(yep, at the 'puter now, going to babysit their 2 year old while the parents, 'get it done' at the hospital..

rePhil 04-08-2013 07:00 AM

Congratulations Grandpa!

oldpotatoe 04-08-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rePhil (Post 1326469)
Congratulations Grandpa!

Grazie

Birddog 04-08-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1326451)
Actually tried 3 different ti bolts..all samo.
Steel 'seems' ok. Gonna see if it comes out OK tomorrow. Daughter-in-law/Son having a baby in about 3 hours so kinda busy today(yep, at the 'puter now, going to babysit their 2 year old while the parents, 'get it done' at the hospital..

Is the forthcoming package a CampMAgNolo or a SHEmano?