The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   UCI World Championships (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=258632)

Beldar77 09-20-2020 11:39 PM

UCI World Championships

Does anyone know where we can watch this weekend? Flobikes has it blocked in the US. I thought NBC owned the rights but it is not listed in their Cycling Pass calendar.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

verticaldoug 09-20-2020 11:51 PM

Is there a way for you to get the BBC stream from the UK? They are showing the men's race on Sunday.

Beldar77 09-20-2020 11:56 PM

It turns out

that it is on the Olympic Channel that NBC owns. Thurs-Sun events.Not as good as when the juniors an U-23's are racing but I will watch ( commercials and all)

echappist 09-21-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticaldoug (Post 2798620)
Is there a way for you to get the BBC stream from the UK? They are showing the men's race on Sunday.

One would need an account linked to an actual British address. They solved the VPN end-run years ago

verticaldoug 09-21-2020 04:36 AM

might be worth it not having to listen to Bob Roll and Phil Liggett

ultraman6970 09-21-2020 07:22 AM

Tiz

ntb1001 09-21-2020 07:33 AM

UCI World Championships

I paid for FloSports to watch the Tour here(Canada).
I was a little ticked because I thought it would’ve been about $15 for the month, but I was charged a full year...and in Canadian so it was $200.

I’m very happy now though...I got the Tour, now I get World Championships, Giro, Vuelta...and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregL 09-21-2020 07:45 AM

Both the women's and men's time trials and road races are listed on the NBC Sports app for live coverage starting this Thursday. This will be the perfect remedy for my TdF hangover :banana:

Greg

RKW 09-21-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 2798623)
One would need an account linked to an actual British address. They solved the VPN end-run years ago

My British address is the London Hilton...

Nick12 09-21-2020 07:24 PM

Tiz cycling works great

echappist 09-21-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKW (Post 2798891)
My British address is the London Hilton...

Do you have access to the BBC? The requirement may even be that you need to pay the licensing fees, although I'm not sure.

Funny enough, one could get BBC1 in Amsterdam

RKW 09-21-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 2799171)
Do you have access to the BBC? The requirement may even be that you need to pay the licensing fees, although I'm not sure.

Funny enough, one could get BBC1 in Amsterdam

It and my Eurosport get billed annually. Never been an issue.

LegendRider 09-22-2020 11:23 AM

It will be broadcast live on the Olympic Channel.

https://www.nbcsports.com/cycling-schedule

jpw 09-22-2020 03:52 PM

Was it only one year ago that the U23 guy was disqualified for drafting? Tempus fugit.

Is it a full schedule of events this year?

What kind of course is it this year, and what type of rider does it favour?

cal_len1 09-23-2020 07:22 AM

Only Elite events this year, no Junior or U23, although there are a couple U23 riders doing Elite. It's a super hilly course, with 2 climbs that are 6 and 11%. It could favor the punchier climbers, or some of the classics guys who can climb, a la WvA. And in what is a great turn of events, there is parity between the men and women's course. The men it's 260 km, and the women it's 160 km.

https://www.uci.org/road/news/2020/T...-Championships

choke 09-23-2020 08:12 AM

I'll probably watch on either Sporza or NOS.nl with a VPN.

Re: the women's road race. Last week Annemiek van Vleuten broke her wrist during the Giro Rosa. For any normal human that would have ended a chance to defend the jersey but AvV doesn't give up easily. She was also scheduled to do the TT but has decided not to race that event.

Press release here: https://www.knwu.nl/nieuws/30345

Google translate:
Quote:

September 22, 2020

Annemiek van Vleuten will decide on Friday whether she can defend her world title on the road in Imola a day later. She will therefore travel to Italy to join the national team. The Mitchelton-Scott rider broke her wrist last Thursday. “At the time I thought that I wouldn't be able to ride a World Cup at all. The doctors at the Rijnstate Hospital in Arnhem thought along with me when I was able to go there for an operation on Friday. For example, I was not put under anesthesia, so I could get back on the bike quickly. They fitted me a brace on Monday and with that I could actually immediately cycle painlessly and also hold my handlebars well. It is important to note that the doctors indicate that there are no health risks associated with a possible start. I absolutely want to put my health first. ”

Van Vleuten makes another reservation because she wants to await the development of the healing process and will make a decision on her start in the road race on Friday. “It is true that standing climbing is not even 100 percent. And that must be the case to actually take the departure. When I start, I do it with ambitions and not just to be there. It does play a role that I don't take anyone's place when I decide to start. My place is in my name, because I won the world title in Harrogate last year. This is different for Thursday's time trial. I do not want to be on my conscience that a class like Ellen van Dijk would stand aside because I wanted to hold on to my place. That is why I gave up my starting place on that part ”

choke 09-24-2020 08:48 AM

Women's TT is currently underway.

For VPN users, I found English commentary at the 'via this link' here - https://twitter.com/CyclingCentral/s...06368356040705

jpritchet74 09-24-2020 09:28 AM

I can't believe that Dygert crashed - hope she is OK.......

jpw 09-24-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pritchet74 (Post 2800519)

That was a big wheel wobble. Might have been better to have deliberately hit the padding and not the metal barrier.

GregL 09-24-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pritchet74 (Post 2800519)

Heartbreaking! Hope she's OK. Haven't seen the video yet, but the Cyclingnews report said there was some spotty rain on the course. A wet corner on a TT bike is certainly not a forgiving circumstance.

Greg

choke 09-24-2020 09:35 AM

Lots of wobble....I think maybe a flat front tire.

jpw 09-24-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 2800527)
Heartbreaking! Hope she's OK. Haven't seen the video yet, but the Cyclingnews report said there was some spotty rain on the course. A wet corner on a TT bike is certainly not a forgiving circumstance.

Greg

She stayed down on the TT bars around a tight right hand bend and the front wheel started to wobble. She lost it out to the left and disappeared over the barrier. The front wheel may have hit something in the road. It all looked a bit weird. Don't know how she is.

buckfifty 09-24-2020 09:43 AM

gcn race pass with vpn works well

prototoast 09-24-2020 09:52 AM

Video of Dygert's crash: https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/st...083138560?s=20

weisan 09-24-2020 10:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62F96V0hp8U

GregL 09-24-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prototoast (Post 2800544)

WOW, that was absolutely terrifying! Fingers crossed that she wasn't seriously injured.

Greg

jpw 09-24-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 2800553)
WOW, that was absolutely terrifying! Fingers crossed that she wasn't seriously injured.

Greg

She was lucky not to hit that metal pole. It looked like a softer landing than for Evenepoel. Apparently she's conscious and talking.

jpritchet74 09-24-2020 10:26 AM

sounds like Dygert's injuries are bad.

from Caley Fretz's post on Twitter:
"Photos from the accident show a major wound to Dygert's left leg, skin/muscle damage from mid-thigh down to her knee. Looks like she got bit by a shark. Honestly way too gross to post."

jpw 09-24-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pritchet74 (Post 2800572)
sounds like Dygert's injuries are bad.

from Caley Fretz's post on Twitter:
"Photos from the accident show a major wound to Dygert's left leg, skin/muscle damage from mid-thigh down to her knee. Looks like she got bit by a shark. Honestly way too gross to post."

Ooch. Sounds like a Wout Van Aert type of leg wound. Left thigh caught the barrier's two bolt heads.

jpw 09-24-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 2800553)

Greg

https://twitter.com/CiclismoInter/st...083138560?s=20

Left thigh catches the two bolt heads on the top of the barrier at 10 seconds;

nooneline 09-24-2020 11:13 AM

Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.

jpw 09-24-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nooneline (Post 2800612)
Yikes. You can find pictures of her injury through a twitter search. I don't recommend it.

That's the worst pro cycling injury I've ever seen. Hopefully it's just a 'degloving' of skin from muscle and bone.

Elefantino 09-24-2020 12:14 PM

Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.

Beldar77 09-24-2020 12:16 PM

really bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 2800664)
Trying not to think of Taylor Phinney and what a leg injury can do to effectively end a world-beating career.

Yeah this injury is pretty bad hopefully not as bad as Taylor's.

jpritchet74 09-24-2020 01:30 PM

Ya, hopefully more of a WvA injury than a Mini Phinney injury

72gmc 09-24-2020 01:45 PM

Sure looked like some form of mechanical failure. Not sure how she could have ridden that out any better than she did.

rain dogs 09-24-2020 01:59 PM

I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?

Nick12 09-24-2020 03:10 PM

Oh man.. that looks very painful. It does look like a mechanical with the front wheel.

prototoast 09-24-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain dogs (Post 2800727)
I know everything is sooooo easy from the couch, but I have to get this off my chest.

How do they decide on the placement of the padded barriers in cycling? Maybe it makes sense but I don't get it. Have you EVER seen a cyclist go straight, dead straight into a corner so that they hit the first 10 meters of barriers?

I haven't. I can only imagine that almost every crash is going to be slightly pre apex to 90+% exiting the corner... and the barriers barely cover the exit.... like 2 meters of the exit of a turn. Why not take all those dozens of first entry barrier pads and place them at the exit where they will be useful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Does what I'm saying make sense? Or is it like this in all races for a reason I don't understand?

If I were to guess, some volunteer who has no experience riding bikes at race speed is told to "put up barriers on the corner" and they drive out to the corner and put barriers around the point where the road bends the most, without understanding the path that riders will take through it.

It really was a tragic injury that could have been greatly reduced if only the barriers had been positioned better.

m_sasso 09-24-2020 03:54 PM

Never cared for Zipp wheels and even less so now.