The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Bike Fit (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Setback: Thanks, Dave Kirk. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=239036)

ColonelJLloyd 06-19-2019 09:21 PM

Setback: Thanks, Dave Kirk.

Some years ago I came across a post here where Dave Kirk gave a link to something he'd written and posted previously. The simple, well-explained instruction was very helpful to me at the time and today I wanted to refer to it as I setup a new bike. I found his blog post and noticed that the date was 10 years ago today.

Thanks, Dave!

David Kirk 07-16-2019 08:26 AM

Very cool - I like that the old post is still helping riders.

dave

Ernesto 07-16-2019 09:23 AM

Yeah, I remember reading that post several years ago and it was a great help to me.

Thanks Dave!

brownhound 07-16-2019 10:39 AM

Ooh - gonna use that! I like little tips like that to think about while riding.

shoota 07-16-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Kirk (Post 2566605)
Very cool - I like that the old post is still helping riders.

dave

I've used this method before and found it to be helpful as well. Thanks

Steve in SLO 07-16-2019 09:57 PM

I, too have been using this for years and have never officially thanked Dave.
Thanks, Dave!

54ny77 07-21-2019 09:11 AM

Holy timewarp, yes I remember reading this way back when as well and did this exact test & adjustment! My knee found its happy medium a couple of cm behind the spindle. Thanks Dave!

truth 07-21-2019 11:30 AM

I'm curious if anyone knows:

What factors affect determined setback (I've heard a lot about femur length?)?

What ranges of setback are determined with this method?

I find myself at 11 cm which seems like it may be quite a bit.

BdaGhisallo 07-23-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth (Post 2569008)
I'm curious if anyone knows:

What factors affect determined setback (I've heard a lot about femur length?)?

What ranges of setback are determined with this method?

I find myself at 11 cm which seems like it may be quite a bit.

Femur length is a huge determining factor, there's no doubt.

Moyboy 08-13-2019 12:24 PM

I find if my setback isnt correct i get knee pain. I was off by 1.5cm and could feel it in my right knee.

l0n3rider 08-15-2019 09:25 PM

in my opinion - disclaimer: i'm not an expert :p:p

it's not so much about the numbers .. it's more about balancing act. it is natural to our body to perform the balancing act .. and the first option is they easiest way out .. BUT most of the time the easiest is not the most optimized or the most economical in the long run

for example .. to support the upper body weight, our body will use the hands .. resulting in numbness after some times .. then we will shift the upper body weight more towards the saddle by sitting more upright .. which in the long run will compress the lower back ..

another option is to move the saddle more to the back (more setback) .. less weight to the front center of the bike .. but this will closed the hip angle .. resulting in overstretch to reach the handle bar .. and outside of the hip flexor range .. which resulted in knee pain in the long run .. knee has to move outward during the TDC ..

so the method propose by Kirk is a good way to start pondering on the balancing act .. and better still if you could try Ti Designs method .. which a step further by re-wiring the brain to optimize balancing to our advantage

sorry for very long-winded story :p:p

rcornejo 08-26-2019 08:09 PM

Hello dear fellow members of this forum,

I wonder if it's possible to do this test in an indoor trainer... and to obtain valid results I mean...

Regards from Chile,

Roberto

David Kirk 08-27-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcornejo (Post 2585442)
Hello dear fellow members of this forum,

I wonder if it's possible to do this test in an indoor trainer... and to obtain valid results I mean...

Regards from Chile,

Roberto

Could you do it on a trainer indoors?....I suppose so if you can't ride outdoors. I think the overall balance of actually riding is all part of the equation and this is something that just isn't the same indoors.

dave

woodworker 08-27-2019 02:02 PM

I will try this out, but I find the adjustment to be counterintuitive.

This is the recommendation from Dave's blog post: "If you tend to fall forward when your hands are lifted it’s a good bet your saddle could go back. If you tend to fall back then your saddle is way too far back. The latter is pretty rare."

I'm trying to visualize this. If you tend to fall forward, then the saddle should go back. To me, it seems like this would make you fall forward more, as you would be more stretched out on the bike. But I may be all wrong.

Perhaps in moving the seat back, you have shifted your weight back slightly, placing less of your weight on the bars?

While my hands rarely hurt, and I tend to be pretty good in terms of staying low and using my glues, I don't think that I would stay up off of the bars doing the test. ...will check it our.

Thanks.

MikeD 08-27-2019 02:05 PM

I don't think this method is any better than COPS. Seems to me you can have your saddle too far back with this method. Back in the day, the LeMond method recommended a saddle that was far back. I set up my bike that way and I got hamstring pain.