The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Search for a Carbon Bike that Feels like a Metal Bike (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276831)

RyanH 12-08-2021 09:28 AM

The Search for a Carbon Bike that Feels like a Metal Bike

I've had a lot of bikes over the last 6 years or so but one of my first was a Ti bike and since then, it's been my preferred material. Part of the reason I've had so many bikes is because I want to see if carbon is there yet in replicating the feel of a good metal bike and usually I'm disappointed. For me, there are two aspects of a good metal bike that carbon seems to struggle to replicate: springiness/liveliness when pedaling and smoothness, particularly felt through the feet.

My current bike I'm dabbling with is the new 2022 Crux which I have setup in road mode. It's a stellar bike and probably the best descending bike I've ever had. It has that liveliness when pedaling but I keep getting the sense that I'm more beat up after a long ride on that bike than my Litespeed. The two bikes have the same contact points (same bars, saddle) and the Crux has an advantage since it's running 29.5mm actual (28 label) Turbo Cottons while the Litespeed has size 25 Turbo Cottons (27.5 measured).

The thing I noticed last weekend is that over rough tarmac, while the Crux does a good job muting jarring hits in the rear (butt) and front (hands), my feet physically hurt when the impacts come. This adds up over the course of a 60 mile ride and I just feel beat up at the end. I think it's taken me all this time to realize this but it's that jarring through the feet that keeps me going back to Ti. I paid attention to how the Litespeed reacts over broken pavement since then and the impacts feel muted, none of them result in pain in the feet. My hands or ass will feel a sharp pain from a sudden jolt but the feedback through the pedals is always significantly reduced.

My question to you all that ride metal bikes, do you know what I'm talking about and have you ridden any carbon bikes that do have that smoothness?

For those curious why I'm asking or even trying to go away from Ti if I like it so much, the short answer is that I want a new bike that descends like the Crux, is disc and sub 6.8kg. It'll be a tall task getting a metal disc bike light whereas an Aethos is literally half the weight of a Ti disc frame and could possibly check all those boxes.

fredd 12-08-2021 09:38 AM

Not what OP is asking for, but I'd say the simplest solution would be getting some less rigid shoes. I know the thought of it is scary as road riders, but you'll probably lose very little if any efficiency, and gain a lot of comfort in the feet.

RyanH 12-08-2021 09:43 AM

That's a fair point. I'm running Bont Vaypors which are thin carbon and my insoles are fairly rigid. I feel it most in the front of the foot so I don't know if a less rigid shoe would help BUT a better insole would probably. Any suggestions?

Kirk007 12-08-2021 09:46 AM

I think the Aethos was the closest I've come to a metal bike feel (probably would have kept it if the aesthetics required to make it fit were better). I don't notice my feet taking a beating so I'm probably not the best respondent to your question other than to say that almost everytime I buy a carbon bike it doesn't stick around long and I keep acquiring lovely smooth and lively steel bikes. I also remember describing a Calfee (over 10 years ago) as riding like a nice steel bike only lighter, and a C50 I had also had a lovely ride to it.

mtechnica 12-08-2021 09:48 AM

I know what you're talking about and the closest I've come to a carbon bike that feels like a metal bike was my old calfee tetra pro. One of the old ones with the Italian BB. I put on a threadless 1" carbon fork. By a lot of peoples standards it would be considered noodly but it still felt efficient when climbing and you could put good power through it without it feeling like it was going to waste. Probably a lot of the magic was the small diameter tubes. This frame however was nowhere near as light as a lot of new stuff, but with the right build I'm sure you could get a tetra pro down to a competitive weight.

I did sell it though because I found other bikes suit my riding style better (often aggressive) and I generally don't have comfort issues on any carbon frames so the smoothness was kind of redundant.

As far as the crux I haven't ridden one but I'm 100% sure you can find a road bike that rides smoother. The carbon gravel bikes all seem pretty stiff, I think they kind of have to be to not fold under big guys using them as a MTB. Even my Hakka MX is stiff and it's "old" now - although I did find it comfortable when I had the 32mm GP5000 on it.

Last comment is have you considered that you may be able to go faster and feel better on a heavier bike?

prototoast 12-08-2021 09:53 AM

A lot of the feet of a bike comes from the shapes of the tubes, more than the material of the tubes.

Look for carbon bikes with skinny round tubes.

Certainly any custom builder could build you something like that.

If you're looking for something new and mass-produced, check out the Ritchey Breakaway Carbon.

If you're looking for something used, look for something like the Look 585 or Time VX.

Ozz 12-08-2021 09:55 AM

Maybe look at getting a Ti/Carbon bike a la Seven 622 XX or Holland Exogrid? I am sure there are others, but those come to mind...

Maybe not what you are looking for (100% CF?) but might be worth exploring....

I have a Seven (previous version of the XX) and it is super smooth...

If you are 6'2"+, there is a Serotta Ottrott in the classifieds....

marciero 12-08-2021 09:59 AM

As a test, you might decrease tire pressure a little-not permanently but just as a check. That will make much more of a difference than frame material, even a few pounds on a 25mm tire. If pain does not go away then frame material will not fix and suggests there may be something else going on. My guess is that that is the case. I'm not sure that a less rigid shoe would address it. It could, or could make it worse. I'd advocate stiff soles with proper, perhaps custom footbed.

Elefantino 12-08-2021 10:16 AM

Get some gel insoles and a Look 585, not necessarily in that order. I have numb feet and the insoles help tremendously with road vibration. The 585 takes care of the rest.

KarlC 12-08-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 3020655)
Maybe look at getting a Ti/Carbon bike a la Seven 622 XX or Holland Exogrid? I am sure there are others, but those come to mind...

Maybe not what you are looking for (100% CF?) but might be worth exploring....

I have a Seven (previous version of the XX) and it is super smooth...

If you are 6'2"+, there is a Serotta Ottrott in the classifieds....

Im thinking that Ti/Carbon bikes will feel pretty dull/muted, and not have the springiness/liveliness that Ryan is looking for. Thats one of the reasons I sold my Seven 622, it did its job to well of smoothing out the rough roads, so much so that it was boring to ride.

I dont think Ryan is just trying to dull out foot pain here, he is also looking for that springiness/liveliness that we all love.

My old Speedvagen is by far the most springiness/liveliness of any frame I have owned, just like Ryan is talking about. It seams hard to replicate this, that's one of the reasons I still have it, its just a joy to ride.

mistermo 12-08-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 3020655)
Maybe look at getting a Ti/Carbon bike a la Seven 622 XX or Holland Exogrid

I believe the Exogrid is a thing of yore.

What size is your Crux? :)

tomato coupe 12-08-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanH (Post 3020644)
Part of the reason I've had so many bikes is because I want to see if carbon is there yet in replicating the feel of a good metal bike and usually I'm disappointed.

Prepare to remain disappointed, because mimicking metal with carbon fiber probably isn’t very high on anyone’s To Do list.

mtechnica 12-08-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 3020674)
Prepare to remain disappointed, because mimicking metal with carbon fiber probably isn’t very high on anyone’s To Do list.

Maybe. it sounds like he just needs a carbon frame that isn't built like a brick S house like 99% of them are. How much you wanna bet he won't be interested at all in a calfee - because reasons? lol...

sparky33 12-08-2021 10:39 AM

Maybe check out Open.
The WIDE I’m riding is smooth and has a great pedaling feedback…probably owing to the carbon cocktail. My guess is that the UP and MIND share the same dna in ride quality.

Ozz 12-08-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlC (Post 3020669)
.... Thats one of the reasons I sold my Seven 622, it did its job to well of smoothing out the rough roads, so much so that it was boring to ride.

I dont think Ryan is just trying to dull out foot pain here, he is also looking for that springiness/liveliness that we all love.

My old Speedvagen is by far the most springiness/liveliness of any frame I have owned, just like Ryan is talking about. It seams hard to replicate this, that's one of the reasons I still have it, its just a joy to ride.

Hah! Good point....my 622 is super smooth, but I never thought of it as boring. The miles just go by and I don't feel beat up at the end of a ride.

That said, I've always thought my CSI was the liveliest, and frankly best "climbing" bike I have despite being the heaviest!;)