The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Podiatrist visit: advises me to stretch my sidi's (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211970)

Kingfisher 10-11-2017 06:51 AM

Podiatrist visit: advises me to stretch my sidi's

After developing a bunionette on left foot, went to see podiatrist yesterday and besides a small shot of cortisone he advised me to take sidis (genius 7 road) to a cobbler and have then stretched near front of shoe to account for my bunion.

Anybody else done this with cycling shoes? Is the device a once and done deal or do you keep going back for more shoe modifications? I suppose it is a devise that only cobblers have?

charliedid 10-11-2017 07:02 AM

Sorry to hear

I have used a ball peen hammer or a boot stretcher in the past. I good cobbler will have something like this which only stretches the area needed. You can buy the stretching fluid but I think it's just equal parts water and alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/FootFitter-Bu.../dp/B000POHTOG

Mikej 10-11-2017 08:03 AM

Was the pain on your pinky toe? Bothe my wires and drakos cause me pain on only the right foot. I usually use little pads.

MattTuck 10-11-2017 08:05 AM

I seem to remember when I bought my sidi's that the material they use does not stretch, and will return to its shape if it is deformed. This may have just been in the context of normal use, can cobblers maybe have a way to over come that.

Kingfisher 10-11-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikej (Post 2245857)
Was the pain on your pinky toe? Bothe my wires and drakos cause me pain on only the right foot. I usually use little pads.

Yep pinky toe side
Dr did give me pads too

ColonelJLloyd 10-11-2017 08:31 AM

FWIW, I've taken shoes (Goodyear last shoes, not bike shoes) to the cobbler to be stretched. While it's cheap ($6) the odds aren't good the stretch is going to get dialed with one stretching treatment. After having another pair rebuilt they came back tighter than they were when I sent them to Allen Edmonds. So, I bought a $25 stretcher and a bottle of sauce (pretty sure it's just water and alcohol) on Amazon. They come with little bunion buttons you can add if needed. I don't regret it. The spray claims to help stretch shoes of all sorts of material, but I can't say as I've only used it on leather.

2metalhips 10-11-2017 09:50 AM

A hack that I have used on tight fitting shoes is to cut off the insole in the area where you have the issue. It will give your toe a bit more room. This has worked well for me.

adub 10-11-2017 09:58 AM

Or buy a new pair of S-works shoes. I have massive bunions and they have a nice, wide foot box.

benb 10-11-2017 10:57 AM

Yah.. sounds like he's trying to save you money but also saying that Sidi's don't exactly fit you well at all.

The S-works do have a huge toe-box. Bontrager also makes Toe boxes bigger than Sidi. AFAICT Sidi's have always been known to have tight toe boxes. Being italian they are definitely more fashionable, maybe the tight toe box goes with that. Let's be realistic, cyclists definitely think they are "cool" and that's partially fashion.

Sounds like doctors disagree somewhat but most of them say you get these from a) genetics b) years of poorly fitting shoes.

Most of us don't wear our bike shoes all the time, you must have other non cycling shoes that bother this too and were more likely to be the cause?

It's rampant with women in my family. Their feet are all reshaped to look like badly fitting fashionable pointy-toed shoes. Lots of misery.

PSJoyce 10-11-2017 11:12 AM

A pair of slightly too small Sidi Wires did a number on my little toes.

Bontrager shoes do have a rounder, taller toe box, as do Suplest shoes.

Makuman 10-11-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliedid (Post 2245838)
Sorry to hear

I have used a ball peen hammer or a boot stretcher in the past. I good cobbler will have something like this which only stretches the area needed. You can buy the stretching fluid but I think it's just equal parts water and alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/FootFitter-Bu.../dp/B000POHTOG

My LBS has one of these and stretched my giro's. Works great but I think it has slowly reconformed to its original state. Might get one of my own now that I know where to get one!

sailorboy 10-11-2017 12:32 PM

Hate to pile on but I agree that it might be time to try others. I loved sidis during my late 20's 30's, probably cuz I have a low-volume foot that works well in them. Eventually tho, I developed hot spots over the same high spots as my feet aged. Went to specialized for a few years, and now in shimanos and like them a lot. They have a wider toe box and the added bonus of heat-moulding for the upper level shoes. Worth it.

Tony 10-11-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makuman (Post 2246000)
My LBS has one of these and stretched my giro's. Works great but I think it has slowly reconformed to its original state. Might get one of my own now that I know where to get one!

Many of the shoe stretchers have attachments to target specific areas in the toe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0F2VX8...a-306166359325

charliedid 10-11-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, synthetic leather has a desire to return to it's orig. state. I think a good soaking and using the stretcher tool locked down on it overnight helps. Of course repeat as needed. Also a leather shoe such as a LAKE could be handy in this situation.

Kingfisher 10-11-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Just went on amazon and bought it....for now cheaper than a new pair of shoes. Will try and give report soon