The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Facebook Marketplace (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245330)

coelacant 12-07-2019 03:47 PM

Facebook Marketplace

Has anyone tried to sell their bike stuff there? what has been your experience so far? I'm thinking about it before listing some bikes on the bay.

XXtwindad 12-07-2019 03:49 PM

I bought a bike off Facebook. It's the first time I logged on in two years. I am curious about selling as well. Personally, I can't stand the site, but if it works to sell stuff...

avalonracing 12-07-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coelacant (Post 2629748)
Has anyone tried to sell their bike stuff there? what has been your experience so far? I'm thinking about it before listing some bikes on the bay.

It's not the same of the FB marketplace but I sold two bikes on the local Facebook MTB page last week. Perhaps you want to see if there is a local group page first.

coelacant 12-07-2019 04:04 PM

Ok, I'll look for that. thnx.

unterhausen 12-07-2019 05:04 PM

they really seem to want to make it a local market, at least that is my recent experience. Someone remote from me sent me a link to a marketplace listing of a bike and FB wouldn't show it to me.

BryanE 12-07-2019 05:13 PM

Better than Craigslist

duff_duffy 12-07-2019 05:43 PM

Ive had more luck on Craigslist myself than the marketplace.

zmalwo 12-07-2019 05:43 PM

Not much stuff on there in small towns. Big Cities you have lots of people who don't speak English low ball you 9/10 messages. If something goes for $500 on eBay you are lucky if you can sell them for $300 on FB Marketplace.

Veloo 12-07-2019 05:45 PM

Never sold but bought a couple of items.
I'd agree with some some friends of mine that have said they feel a bit more comfortable with that outlet because you can see a bit of the seller's background via their profile vs an unknown on Craigslist (or Kijiji).

For those that are anti-Facebook, this is actually a good place to snag some deals.

I got my BNIB Tacx tablet mount for $50 and a few days ago found a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for $180. Both sellers very nice people. May even hook up for a ride in the future.

rnhood 12-07-2019 06:01 PM

The "On-line Swap Meet for Cycling and Triathlon" is a sub site on Facebook, perhaps a subsite on the "Marketplace", and is a very good. The site is moderated well. They have taken a good bit of the risk out of buying and selling on-line - which is a good thing. You can't hide behind some weird moniker, and correspondence is painless. It doesn't offer the market breadth of Craigslist or Ebay, but on the other hand it's very unlikely you will get ripped off. It is certainly worth checking out when you are in the market for something, or trying to sell something that is good. Its really not meant to be an antique swap shop though. For old stuff ebay or craigslist will probably be better.

tbike4 12-07-2019 06:29 PM

I have sold a couple of frames on FB that were shipped in groups like vintage bikes or something similar. Sold 1 complete bike which was a Colnago Master for $1500 and was a local sale. Super smooth transaction. I sold some skewers today in the Facebook marketplace that were listed last night. Easy peezy.

I have another bike on the FB MP now which brings a bunch of low ball offers like CL so I just block those people and you will get folks that do not speak English. Use the translator. I think the bike listed will sell tomorrow. Some things like a cassette or similar seem to sell quicker for more $$ than on the PL.

I think I have given up on CL for selling, buying as well. It's mostly dudes working out of a warehouse with 200 bikes to sell. Where I live anyway.

bikinchris 12-07-2019 06:43 PM

I have had a mixture of results. Sold a Klein MTB on the Klein page. Sold a single speed Cannondale pretty quickly.
Other postings not so great. But they didn't sell here either.

pdonk 12-07-2019 06:58 PM

I've bought and sold some vintage mtb parts on a few area specific groups. All transactions went well.

colker 12-07-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXtwindad (Post 2629751)
I bought a bike off Facebook. It's the first time I logged on in two years. I am curious about selling as well. Personally, I can't stand the site, but if it works to sell stuff...

I´ve had bad experiences w/ facebook; it´s sinister. The classic "wolf in shepperd´s cloth" deal. The victim ends up being the good guys.

trener1 12-07-2019 10:00 PM

I am sure you can have bad experiences anywhere, but I sold a TT bike this summer on FB, I just didn't want to deal with boxing/shipping etc... so I wanted to sell it local, yes I had to sift through a bunch of low ball offers, but I knew what it was worth and I it had listed for a good price, took about a month but I sold it for my asking price and the transaction was smooth.