The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: R.I.P. Rev. Billy Graham (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218167)

Bruce K 02-21-2018 07:24 AM

OT: R.I.P. Rev. Billy Graham

Iconic American figure.

99 years old.

BK

tv_vt 02-21-2018 07:34 AM

I know where this is going to go.

Can we just lock this now, please?

HenryA 02-21-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tv_vt (Post 2317255)
I know where this is going to go.

Can we just lock this now, please?

How about just keep it dignified?

ergott 02-21-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryA (Post 2317259)
How about just keep it dignified?

Religion and politics all wrapped up in one person?

Not gonna happen.

fa63 02-21-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergott (Post 2317270)
Religion and politics all wrapped up in one person?

Not gonna happen.

:)

miksibis 02-21-2018 08:05 AM

yep. so many touchy subjects in one. this should go off the rails quickly.

Bentley 02-21-2018 08:08 AM

Just be civil

We should be able to be civil. One of the great things about being American and living in America is the diversity we enjoy. We don’t have to agree on anything but we can just acknowledge a life that was lived.

RIP Rev. Graham

Chris 02-21-2018 08:14 AM

Not religious, but I appreciate how he lived his life with dignity. R.I.P.

And...in before the lock.

makoti 02-21-2018 08:19 AM

I saw that. Not a fan. Still, one death diminishes us all.

oldpotatoe 02-21-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makoti (Post 2317296)
I saw that. Not a fan. Still, one death diminishes us all.

I don’t really agree...dying is part of living and BG did it the way he saw it so I’m guessing he was content. Not religious in any way but sure Rest In Peace. A meaningless death after a meaningless life is sad.

GOTHBROOKS 02-21-2018 09:45 AM

bye bye to the tiniest part of americas toxicity.

johnniecakes 02-21-2018 09:49 AM

Rip

RIP to a great American who contributed far more than he took. His influence will be sorely missed.

FlashUNC 02-21-2018 09:59 AM

A complicated figure, if one were inclined to give a charitable reading to his legacy.

An early champion of Civil Rights, but you can draw the through line from him directly to the televangelists of today who prey upon the elderly and the gullible. Encouraged inclusivity and understanding your fellow man, but advocated to Richard Nixon a bombing campaign in North Vietnam that could have killed as many as 1 million North Vietnamese at the height of the Vietnam war. Then there's the anti-Semitism, general misogyny, and Billy Graham Parkway is the worst road in Charlotte by a country mile.

But hey, in before the lock?

bking 02-21-2018 10:29 AM

At the level of the individual, who is not "complicated"? He lived through perhaps the most difficult times of our nations history. People say he went too far, and that he didn't go far enough. But go he did as he saw right to go; and too few of us even try.

FlashUNC 02-21-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bking (Post 2317395)
At the level of the individual, who is not "complicated"? He lived through perhaps the most difficult times of our nations history. People say he went too far, and that he didn't go far enough. But go he did as he saw right to go; and too few of us even try.

My less charitable reading is he was a media savvy and attention seeking carnival barker peddling a brand of Southern Protestantism that was and is a gross warping of the ideals set forth in the religion he espoused the world over; with a legacy of an army of Joel Osteens and TD Jakes doing a dimestore version of his brand of televangelism, getting rich off the backs of rubes. Oh, and a son who's an unrepentant, xenophobic bigot further poisoning the well of brotherhood and acceptance that's the bedrock of the religion the family has made a fortune from.

Complicated felt a bit more polite.