The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tubulars: Prep. / Old trends in technology (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=39719)

Too Tall 01-28-2008 05:27 PM

Tubulars: Prep. / Old trends in technology

3 Attachment(s)
Yes Virginia they file tubulars in Maryland ***?
These are some NOS Vittoria CX from Bugsplatbuddah bob. Beats me how old they are. Condition was aces so it's time to set these puppies up for training races in a few weeks :) These Vittorias have a solid laytex layer over the basetape that needs removal. "Removal" involves filing and getting off most of it. You don't have to go nuts just break it up. I spent about 3 mins. on each tyre. You can see from the photos how much laytex is removed esp. over the serial number is evident. Once they are filed glue soaks easily into the cotton base tape. Not all tubulars have laytex over the basetape.

TMB 01-28-2008 05:29 PM

Good idea.

I have always used sandpaper.

dave1215 01-28-2008 05:30 PM

wow, that is truly a craft. :)

i so want to try tubulars.....

rwsaunders 01-28-2008 05:59 PM

I remember watching the Science of the Tour de France on The Discovery Channel a few years ago, and there was a Belgian who "cured" Lance's tubulars in a barn. 4-6 years if I recall correctly.

Z3c 01-28-2008 08:14 PM

"a Belgian" was Julien DeVries who wrenched for LeMond and Lotto(Bruyneel etc) before Lance and is a legend..

chrisroph 01-28-2008 09:59 PM

italian made? larger volume than the current (excellent) thai built tyres? if so,should be plenty aged and ready to go. nice!!

DarrenCT 01-28-2008 10:02 PM

the only thing missing is....

the cold beer while u do this

tbushnel 01-28-2008 11:03 PM

Dang...

3 minutes? Maybe I'm too OC, but it took me like 45min per tire on some vittoria tires. They sure did glue up well though - almost too well. I had a H&ll of a time getting it off after an unfortunate flat.

great pics
ted

Dave B 01-29-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsaunders
I remember watching the Science of the Tour de France on The Discovery Channel a few years ago, and there was a Belgian who "cured" Lance's tubulars in a barn. 4-6 years if I recall correctly.

I still have it on tape.

Discovery ran it non stop when Lance was riding.

There was a great bit cut out when the other mechanics were all talking with Julien and said Lance was the greatest rider ever.

Julien started laughing and then got into a "discussion" on how Lance was good, but he will never be Merckx.

The other mechanics kept after him and Julien never once listened to anything they said.

Funny...Disco cut that out of the subsequent viewings. :rolleyes:

stevep 01-29-2008 07:00 AM

tt,
post the video of you when you use the handcrank to start your car.

some cars now have electric starters i hear.

i love tubulars, i have a super fine pr of tubular wheels sitting in my basement. i'm not likely to ever use them again even though i have 3-4 tires that need to be used.
too much trouble.

Too Tall 01-29-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevep
tt,
post the video of you when you use the handcrank to start your car.

some cars now have electric starters i hear.

i love tubulars, i have a super fine pr of tubular wheels sitting in my basement. i'm not likely to ever use them again even though i have 3-4 tires that need to be used.
too much trouble.

PM sent ;)
Yo Bushnel, use a bigger file. That mill file is sharp.

Longdaddy 01-29-2008 09:35 AM

It's Culture! Embrace It!

I mean, don't fear the reaper, you know? (Que more cow bell.....)

I was 19 when I got my first tubulars- mavic hubs and GEL280 rims (ok, i was 150lbs back then.)

Boy, I made a mess! Red mastik all over the place, rims, side walls... :crap:

But it felt like I made it to the "next level".

And the ride? Goodnight, nurse.....

I love em and plan on going back to them full time when I get home.

tbushnel 01-30-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Tall
Yo Bushnel, use a bigger file. That mill file is sharp.

Thanks TT. I will be mounting a new rear this weekend, so I'll give it a go.
Ted

Too Tall 01-30-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbushnel
Thanks TT. I will be mounting a new rear this weekend, so I'll give it a go.
Ted

I've got a short video of the file action. It seems really dumb to post it here :rolleyes: The motion is side to side so that you cut the laytex off kinda like sweeping off crumbs...bear down it works fast....don't "file" back and forth.

superunleaded 01-30-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Tall
It seems really dumb to post it here :rolleyes:

I don't think so. I'm sure I am not the only 1 who wants to see the video :rolleyes: