The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thnx 4 torx, sram (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=183511)

Dead Man 03-09-2016 04:26 PM

Thnx 4 torx, sram

Thanks for turning a quick and easy stem swap into a 1.5 hour long project as i dig through my entire ····ing garage looks for lost torx bits, so i can get your piece of crap plastic garmin mount out from in front of the faceplate

····ing retards

eBAUMANN 03-09-2016 04:34 PM

been there...but then i realized that torx is a superior tool interface...and i stopped hating it :p

FlashUNC 03-09-2016 04:35 PM

Torx is mo betta.

Dead Man 03-09-2016 04:52 PM

Could be - I'm still about 120 credits shy off my engineering degree

My frustration comes from the fact that every bolt on every bike I have is metric hex, except ONE.

choke 03-09-2016 04:57 PM

I'm with you....Torx may be better on paper but not in practice IMO.

Just replace the offending bolt with a hex head one.

DFABob 03-09-2016 10:15 PM

You should switch all your screws to flat heads. Then the only tool you'll need will be the fixed blade knife between your teeth...

lhuerta 03-10-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Man (Post 1933016)
retards

....really?? Not cool ! In case u haven't been keeping up we r a bit more evolved in this group.

martl 03-10-2016 01:35 AM

i never loved metric hex anyway. Especially on alloy bolts. On anything smaller than M6, they are a pita.

carpediemracing 03-10-2016 03:52 AM

I hate when I can't find a tool, but that's on me.

For Torx I only use them really for the Ergo lever bolt (I think?). There might be one other spot.

I bought a folding tool, pretty high quality, US made, brand escapes me (but it's in a green "body" with black Torx tools), and leave it in my bike tool box. It's been good to me, easy to find, and works with the Ergo levers as well as something else (I remember using one of the larger sizes, for what I just can't remember, might have been a non-bike thing).

ldamelio 03-10-2016 05:41 AM

Carpiediem-you have the Park folding tool. All a home mechanic needs for Torx. I've supplemented mine with some bits for the torque wrench and a three way. To the OP - major over-reaction. Campy 11 has been Torx since 2009, many other brands also use these. Not a big deal in reality, hypothetical advantages ciited above. Not like you need hundreds of dollars worth of special tools for this or like it's completely proprietary to SRAM. It's a common mechanical standard.

Cicli 03-10-2016 05:48 AM

I would replace all hex head with torx if I had a chance. Far better too engagement.

adhumston 03-10-2016 06:17 AM

So one can assume you feel the same way about Campy?

oldpotatoe 03-10-2016 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Man (Post 1933016)
Thanks for turning a quick and easy stem swap into a 1.5 hour long project as i dig through my entire ����ing garage looks for lost torx bits, so i can get your piece of crap plastic garmin mount out from in front of the faceplate

����ing retards

Poor choice of words, IMHO

For soft, aluminum(which is present in spades on most bolts on all 3 groups these days) bolts, torx far better. Just but a Torx set, put along side your metric allen set and US sized allen set, the real oddball when it comes to worldwide bolt sizes. About $15

For Fuzz, right below..well said!!

"mellifluous prose"..had to look that one up...

fuzzalow 03-10-2016 06:39 AM

Such drama. And over the most pressing and critical issue of our day...and expressed in such mellifluous prose. Solutions? Don't loose the bits, keep a neater workplace, save the eff-bomb for true effect.

yakstone 03-10-2016 06:44 AM

torx

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzalow (Post 1933246)
Such drama. And over the most pressing and critical issue of our day...and expressed in such mellifluous prose. Solutions? Don't loose the bits, keep a neater workplace, save the eff-bomb for true effect.

Exactly.