The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Carbon fiber pannier rack on Kickstarter (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=187569)

Veloo 05-27-2016 10:34 PM

Carbon fiber pannier rack on Kickstarter

Tailfin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nt=Tailfin-CB3

CSKeller 05-28-2016 01:10 AM

Wow! Impressive!

Thanks for posting. That looks like a great pannier system that can work with most of today's high performance bikes.

I may have to consider this! I like it a lot better than anything else I've seen and the mounting system is clean, easy and elegant without need for special rack/fender eyelets.

oldfatslow 05-28-2016 06:36 AM

Interesting. I wonder how it rides loaded. It's essentially the Bob Trailer mount concept but used for pannier rack instead of as a hitch for a trailer. I'm sure the carbon rack is stiff but curious about how it would feel if it isn't torqued down to the bike on which it's installed.

For light loads (a change of clothes and tioletries for the office) it might be great. I can't imagine it would be stiff enough for a heavy load.

oldpotatoe 05-28-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSKeller (Post 1981318)
Thanks for posting. That looks like a great pannier system that can work with most of today's high performance bikes.

I may have to consider this! I like it a lot better than anything else I've seen and the mounting system is clean, easy and elegant without need for special rack/fender eyelets.

QR for the seatpost? I would worry about it getting stolen.

54ny77 05-28-2016 06:45 AM

that is really, really cool.

thanks for the link. :beer:

tuxbailey 05-28-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1981344)
QR for the seatpost? I would worry about it getting stolen.

Yeah. Maybe take it off along with the panniers to office/hotel?

Edit: If you scroll down, it mentioned that it is lockable with a screw.

bobswire 05-28-2016 08:15 AM

That's a neat rack, I may have to get a CF frame just to use one of those racks.;)

jds108 05-28-2016 12:48 PM

Crap, just when I thought I didn't need any other cycling gear.

Ordered.

donevwil 05-28-2016 01:11 PM

Rack and bags for less than a Ti Tubus, worth supporting I think.

ultraman6970 05-28-2016 03:18 PM

Super cool product.

cadence90 05-28-2016 03:35 PM

Yes, it looks like a great, super clean design. Very nice.

I wonder if the panniers have handles, to carry like a briefcase?

ceolwulf 05-28-2016 03:48 PM

I really like it but I don't need that kind of race level tech in a rack. Surely they'll come up with an aluminum one next. That I would purchase immediately.

marciero 05-28-2016 04:41 PM

Why??
The irony is that the bikes they seem to be targetting- higher-performance race-specific bikes-are the machines whose handling would suffer the most from rear loading.
If you insist on commuting or bike packing on your race machine I think that there are a range of options better suited and even lighter. You could start with a Revelate or similar saddle bag.

donevwil 05-28-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marciero (Post 1981532)
Why??
The irony is that the bikes they seem to be targetting- higher-performance race-specific bikes-are the machines whose handling would suffer the most from rear loading.
If you insist on commuting or bike packing on your race machine I think that there are a range of options better suited and even lighter. You could start with a Revelate or similar saddle bag.

Fully loaded I agree, but I know a lot of people who simply don't have the n+1 with more touring geo yet do a lot of touring. I signed up because my wife is doing a tour at the end of the year and has only her Hampsten GPTi and a 32lb commuter to choose from. This rack would enable her to ride her Hampsten and isn't much more than a nice Tubus.

I was wondering what tire clearance is. Certainly doesn't look like there's clearance for more than a 32 at best and certainly not fenders.

gdw 05-28-2016 05:46 PM

It looks like a pretty good setup for commuting or light touring.