The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Paceline Timepiece Talk (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245701)

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 11:32 AM

[OT] What watch would you choose? Sinn, Oris, or Omega Quartz

I know there are a few watch aficionados on this board so if you could only have 1 watch and had to choose between these three options which one would you choose and why?

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Quartz 39.5mm on bracelet (silver dial) $1750 (on closeout)
https://www.omegawatches.com/media/c...96002001-l.png

Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date 40mm on strap (any dial color) $1550
https://www.oris.ch/data/27134_01751..._verticale.png

Sinn 104 41mm on strap (any dial color) $1330
https://www.sinn.de/bilder/uhr/960x1...-St-Sa-I_V.jpg

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:42 AM

i get that maybe these are some YOU are trying to decide between, but none of them appeal to me in any way, so there is no way i would ever find myself choosing between them for my only watch.

i'm a dive watch guy :)

clyde the point 12-19-2019 11:45 AM

I like the Sinn cause I'm always banging my watch on stuff and that one looks like the crystal is somewhat protected. The other two I'd toast out in 2 weeks.

avalonracing 12-19-2019 11:47 AM

Well, one is dress, one is casual and one is active. Of course since they are all expensive and decent watches they overlap a bit and can be worn anywhere (but hell, so can a Swatch) While I like Oris watches the hatching on that bezel is a bit feminine. But if you can only have one that Omega is the way to go.

axel23 12-19-2019 11:47 AM

Definitely not the Omega. Watches with quartz movements rarely retain their value.

Either the Sinn or the Oris (both of which use a reliable Sellita base movement) would be a clear choice. While not as accurate as quartz, automatic movements are a testament to the art of watch making. You'll appreciate the smooth flow of the second hand.

The difference between the Sinn and the Oris is a personal choice. I like the diver-style of the Sinn, and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel23 (Post 2634446)
and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.

sonicCows 12-19-2019 11:52 AM

I would buy a Rohloff

AngryScientist 12-19-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2634447)
lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.

edit:

just remembered - there was a guy years ago on one of the watch forums i frequent who had a seiko diver modified.

he was a retired guy, and as a joke, he had a day wheel where every day was saturday in a different color. i thought that one was hilarious.

wc1934 12-19-2019 12:04 PM

Even though it is quartz, I would take the Seamaster.

IJWS 12-19-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2634447)

Me, at least a few times a week.

Omega is the Best Buy-not the best looking sea master though. The Sinn is the coolest. Would love a 356 fleiger if I was buying a Sinn. I would remove the Oris from competition although they do look better in person than in the image.

My vote is for the Sinn!

Edit: I didn’t catch that the omega is a quartz movement. Not a good investment. Double-vote for the Sinn.

Blue Jays 12-19-2019 12:06 PM

My sense is the silver-on-silver legibility of that particular Omega would become quite maddening over time and as we all age.

Oris is really sweet and likely wears the biggest since the bezel is thin. Most dressy of the three. Very attractive.

Sinn model probably has the most flexibility in capability to be dressed-up or dressed-down with ease. That said...my choice would be the Sinn.

NYCfixie 12-19-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel23 (Post 2634446)
Definitely not the Omega. Watches with quartz movements rarely retain their value.

Either the Sinn or the Oris (both of which use a reliable Sellita base movement) would be a clear choice. While not as accurate as quartz, automatic movements are a testament to the art of watch making. You'll appreciate the smooth flow of the second hand.

The difference between the Sinn and the Oris is a personal choice. I like the diver-style of the Sinn, and it's practical to have the day of the week on the dial.

The Omega is on heavy closeout discount so the value issue is already worked out (it's normally $2750). I'm so over the Auto versus Quartz thing and there is something nice about quartz accuracy and the "grab and go" of it and never having to worry about setting the date/time (unless the battery dies every few years).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2634451)
edit:

just remembered - there was a guy years ago on one of the watch forums i frequent who had a seiko diver modified.

he was a retired guy, and as a joke, he had a day wheel where every day was saturday in a different color. i thought that one was hilarious.

I am slowly selling my modified Seiko and microbrand watches are trying to get to one nice but not to over the top watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avalonracing (Post 2634445)
Well, one is dress, one is casual and one is active. Of course since they are all expensive and decent watches they overlap a bit and can be worn anywhere (but hell, so can a Swatch) While I like Oris watches the hatching on that bezel is a bit feminine. But if you can only have one that Omega is the way to go.

I consider the Omega the most dressy especially if you put it on a leather strap, the Oris can truly go either way based on using a textile or leather strap, and the Sinn even on a leather strap will always be a sport watch IMO.

mulp 12-19-2019 12:11 PM

I'm a big fan of Omega, but would advise against an Omega quartz, unless you're buying them used for <$1000.

Not an option you provided but i would recommend buying a used automatic Omega. I used Watchrecon to find a local person selling the Omega I wanted and everything worked out really well.

Get an Omega that uses an in-house movement, you won't regret it!

bowenarrow 12-19-2019 12:14 PM

I love that Sinn...it's on my shopping list currently.

Matthew 12-19-2019 12:17 PM

I like the Sinn. But if I had over a grand to spend on a new bit of bling I'd by a frameset!!