The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Vendors (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Zanconato 20th Anniversary Max Framesets (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=216005)

pdmtong 01-11-2018 08:11 PM

That frame is stunning.

The five dwindling spots reminds me of the fervor around the Kirk 10th when Paceline titans were representing.

Congrats on your 20th mike...

mod6 01-11-2018 08:14 PM

Wow,I'm so tempted but the wife would kill me if another bike hits the garage as our master bathroom sits torn apart.

Would have to offload the Eriksen and the Thrive to fund this project which I'm not sure I could do.

Ryun how does the Max tube set ride compared to a Kent built Ti frame as I think you have had both?

bicycletricycle 01-11-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdmtong (Post 2293913)
That frame is stunning.

The five dwindling spots reminds me of the fervor around the Kirk 10th when Paceline titans were representing.

Congrats on your 20th mike...

"Paceline Titans" that is a hilarious title :)

Ryun 01-11-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mod6 (Post 2293915)
Wow,I'm so tempted but the wife would kill me if another bike hits the garage as our master bathroom sits torn apart.

Would have to offload the Eriksen and the Thrive to fund this project which I'm not sure I could do.

Ryun how does the Max tube set ride compared to a Kent built Ti frame as I think you have had both?

I have not had much time on a max tubed bike so this is a bit of uncharted territory for me

merckx 01-12-2018 06:48 AM

I don't think any tubeset in the history of bicycle manufacture is dripping with so much warm and fuzzies except perhaps Reynolds five three one, maybe, but only with the mothball crowd. Here is what I know: Columbus Max can be built to create a benchmark machine. I had one when I owned a Merckx MLX. It was damp, and stiff, and fast. I had it when I was a bit fitter and younger, and loved to stomp on it when approaching broken pavement. It just rolled unbothered. My riding buddies would stutter-step over the same pavement, and after a moment, I would find myself off the front enjoying some solitude.

The other consideration is that there is absolutely no one on this earth who I would prefer to build a Max frameset. Not Merckx, DeRosa, or Mussolini. Mike Zanconato is the one.

binxnyrwarrsoul 01-12-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryun (Post 2293862)
So there are three of em...
Who’ll
Be the the last two??

:crap:

SPOKE 01-12-2018 02:24 PM

Comparison....

I have one of Merckx MXL's from the late 90's. Some folks, me included, consider frames of this vintage to be reproductions. From a few feet away it looks pretty good. Close up you can tell it wasn't built with a great deal of care. Fortunately it rides well and didn't have any alignment issues. I haven't ridden it in a few years but that's going to change once I recover from shoulder and elbow surgery. But before I ride it again I may update it with a new Campy and wheels so it will be a more equal comparison the the new Zank. Should be fun and interesting to feel the difference.

bicycletricycle 01-12-2018 05:28 PM

One less slot available.

hollowgram5 01-12-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 2294407)
One less slot available.

Woah! [emoji481] congrats!

rallizes 01-12-2018 05:33 PM

you guys need to plan a ride!

donevwil 01-12-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bicycletricycle (Post 2294407)
One less slot available.

Someone please buy this man's Tournesol and Bruce Gordon.....

Quite jealous of y'all, such a beautiful and well executed MAX frameset is at the top of my "if only" list.

....if only the MAX tube/lugset could yield a 62cm TT.

bicycletricycle 01-16-2018 03:18 PM

I am excited about this, got to start now with thinking about colors.......

SPOKE 01-17-2018 07:10 AM

Colors....

When I spoke to Mike about purchasing one of these beauties I completely forgot to ask about colors. I wonder if they will all be the same color with 20th anniversary decals/badging?

shinomaster 01-18-2018 11:37 AM

I'm pretty sure they will all be florescent pink.

zank 01-19-2018 08:19 AM

Ha! Not sure everyone would be on board with that!

I do like the idea of them all being painted the same, but I also like to see the personality of the rider come out in the paint. I'm pretty open.