The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: so who else is on the job market? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=254721)

wallymann 07-07-2020 10:25 AM

OT: so who else is on the job market?

i had the ignominous pleasure of being part of a group that got whacked in entirety at the end of february, literally right before the COVID lockdown got real and led the way into the rapidly expanding jobless market with +30M new job-seekers on my heels.

was with my tech-sector company for 24 years 8 months 24 days...it was quite a run...now GIT!

#goodtimes

hokoman 07-07-2020 10:39 AM

Wow - that is one heck of run at your last job. I'm starting to look, but am employed. I actually switched jobs to this one the second week of March, so I haven't been here long, I just know this is not a right fit for me long term.

C40_guy 07-07-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallymann (Post 2753297)
i had the ignominous pleasure of being part of a group that got whacked in entirety at the end of february, literally right before the COVID lockdown got real and led the way into the rapidly expanding jobless market with +30M new job-seekers on my heels.

was with my company for 24 years 8 months 24 days...it was quite a run...now GIT!

#goodtimes

I got laid off in January...kinda knew it was coming and had been looking casually since last June. It did take me a while to find the right next job.

I'm in the tech space, specifically in sales enablement. If I can help you with connections or finding opportunities, please PM me and we can set a time to talk by Google Meet or phone.

redir 07-07-2020 11:17 AM

Are you willing to move?

wallymann 07-07-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 2753340)
Are you willing to move?

not seeking to relocate. of course, the calculus and my appetite for that may change as my jobless tenure extends!

redir 07-07-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallymann (Post 2753344)
not seeking to relocate. of course, the calculus and my appetite for that may change as my jobless tenure extends!

If it comes down to it then let me know. Especially if you know anything about Blockchain and Cryptography tech.

texbike 07-07-2020 12:14 PM

Not yet, but I may be after my quarterly sales presentation this afternoon! :eek: Q2 was ROUGH!

Good luck in your search Wallymann.

Texbike

jtakeda 07-07-2020 12:43 PM

Funny enough during lockdown I was non-essential enough to be told I can’t work but essential enough to my company that they wanted me to be around in case restrictions were lifted.

I had been planning a move to rural N. california for a while and my boss knew this but needed me to be around. Restrictions were lifted 1st week of June. My move date was last week of May.

I had an interview here but everyone is revising their budgets and now the county might be on a hiring freeze....not sure what’s going to happen

The riding is great though—and at least I had planned to be out of work for the month of July, just hope the job search isn’t prolonged.

OperaLover 07-09-2020 01:09 PM

Me.

I'm a trademark/intellectual property attorney. I was with my firm for almost 19 years. Laid off in November. Frankly, I was burned out, battling depression, going through a long separation, and now a divorce. My oldest son leaves for the USMC in 4-days. I'm happy and proud, but will miss him terribly! Selling house and wife is moving to So. California and taking the remaining kids (16yo daughter and 14yo son) to take care of aging parents and a job that is a career move for her. I accept this and it is in the best interest of all involved. A custody battle does no good for anyone and she is a good mother. At least things are moving forward.

58yo and no one wants to hire me. Not much luck in finding an in-house job with a company. Do not want to go back to a law firm, but it might be my only option.

Trying to stay positive. I have the support of my father and sister, a good therapist, and a great network of friends. A roof over my head and some savings. I have the freedom to move if I have to. Not to preach, but this has brought me closer to God, my family, and humbled me greatly. I have gained so much insight and a healthy outlook that there is so much out of our control.

Keep it in perspective. This too shall pass, but I've been in this battle for almost 5-years and I trust my luck will change soon. In the meantime, I stick to this motto.

"By God's grace I live my life one day at a time, but sometimes it's just one breath . . ."

C40_guy 07-09-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texbike (Post 2753377)
Not yet, but I may be after my quarterly sales presentation this afternoon! :eek: Q2 was ROUGH!

Good luck in your search Wallymann.

Texbike

So...how'd it go?

If you need to explore other opportunities, I know some people in Austin...and elsewhere... :)

AngryScientist 07-09-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OperaLover (Post 2754435)
I'm a trademark/intellectual property attorney. I was with my firm for almost 19 years. Laid off in November. Frankly, I was burned out, battling depression, going through a long separation, and now a divorce. My oldest son leaves for the USMC in 4-days. I'm happy and proud, but will miss him terribly! Selling house and wife is moving to So. California and taking the remaining kids (16yo daughter and 14yo son) to take care of aging parents and a job that is a career move for her. I accept this and it is in the best interest of all involved. A custody battle does no good for anyone and she is a good mother. At least things are moving forward.

58yo and no one wants to hire me. Not much luck in finding an in-house job with a company. Do not want to go back to a law firm, but it might be my only option.

Trying to stay positive. I have the support of my father and sister, a good therapist, and a great network of friends. A roof over my head and some savings. I have the freedom to move if I have to. Not to preach, but this has brought me closer to God, my family, and humbled me greatly. I have gained so much insight and a healthy outlook that there is so much out of our control.

Keep it in perspective. This too shall pass, but I've been in this battle for almost 5-years and I trust my luck will change soon. In the meantime, I stick to this motto.

"By God's grace I live my life one day at a time, but sometimes it's just one breath . . ."

That's a lot going on Opera. Hang in there. As you noted, the world is hurting right now, but brighter days are ahead.

Idris Icabod 07-09-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

I'm an organic chemist working in pharma. I've done this for 20 years since finishing my post-doc. Our company was acquired in March and we are all out on July 15th. I passed the patent bar about 5 years ago and am looking to make the transition to a law firm. I thought I had a position lined up to work for a small firm and they would train me as I/we knew I am essentially entry level. They gave me my first assignment this week to write claims on a very complex invention completely outside if my field with no help. I am not an anxious person but I think I experienced my first panic attack last night that lasted 3 hours from midnight until 3 AM. It looks like this isn't going to work out, at least at this place. Kinda sucks as it was a not too hideous drive and the family would have moved as I got more comfortable, but it looks like expectations aren't a mutual fit. Back to square one in job hunting!

gasman 07-09-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Wow-that's a lot to unpack. You've got an admirable attitude. Hang in there and good luck.

nighthawk 07-09-2020 03:29 PM

I’m about to look for a new job myself, but by choice and mostly for a change in location. Working in federal conservation biology... and promotion/time-in-grade at the end of the month opens up some new opportunities for applying for higher graded jobs. As far as I can tell my job prospects wont be affected by current pandemic circumstances... hard to tell until I start looking.

Llewellyn 07-09-2020 05:07 PM

Recessions suck. There's been a couple of times I've been out of work for an extended period and what really helped me was maintaining some sort of routine, staying positive and believing that eventually it will get better. It's not always easy to do that but it helps.