The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does anyone here actually own an “Appleman?” (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=253588)

XXtwindad 06-15-2020 09:16 AM

Does anyone here actually own an “Appleman?”

2 Attachment(s)
Clean39’s thread about buying bike reminded me that there is at least one slot open in the quiver: the mythical Appleman road bike. I’ve never, ever seen one listed here. It’s like the “Yeti” (not the bike) of the Paceline.

Kinda strange, given the crowd. Anyone have concrete proof of existence?

d_douglas 06-15-2020 09:24 AM

Indirectly, yes. My good Lawyer friend in Vancouver asked me about some fancy carbon bike called an “Appleman” - the owner of the law firm had one and rode it to work.

It was sitting in the corner of their storage room one day, so she snapped a photo of it for me - it was indeed an Appleman. I never got to see it in person.

He was an avid cyclist and I believe in earlier days was a nationally ranked MTBer..

Clean39T 06-15-2020 10:09 AM

A custom carbon frame with an ENVE fork just kills my buzz..

Probably why I like Holland, Allied, and Argonaut.

I get that carbon forks are tough to produce, I just can't stand the ubiquity and monocrop nature of ENVE forks - and have never liked the way they ride.

Other than that, Appleman makes some dope bikes for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NHAero 06-15-2020 10:11 AM

Looked at one at NAHBS in CT, it was a beauty.

Blue Jays 06-15-2020 10:21 AM

This new thread is my very first introduction to the brand.
Was not familiar with Appleman until reading this update.

mjb266 06-15-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2739947)
A custom carbon frame with an ENVE fork just kills my buzz..

Probably why I like Holland, Allied, and Argonaut.

I get that carbon forks are tough to produce, I just can't stand the ubiquity and monocrop nature of ENVE forks - and have never liked the way they ride.

Other than that, Appleman makes some dope bikes for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ll bet the tubes are ENVE as are the wheels. There are probably financial incentives to use the Enve fork vs. a Falz or something exotic.

John H. 06-15-2020 11:19 AM

Appleman

Same as you- I have looked at his bikes at NAHBS, website, Instagram, etc.
But I don't know anyone who has one and I have never seen one on the flesh.
That would make me hesitant to buy.

But he seems smart and seems like he knows what he is doing. He is not looking to be the most prolific builder, or come in at low pricing to sell units.

Coffee Rider 06-15-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjb266 (Post 2739967)
I’ll bet the tubes are ENVE as are the wheels. There are probably financial incentives to use the Enve fork vs. a Falz or something exotic.

I read on his site that the tubes are built elsewhere for him with custom layup.

Toddykins 06-15-2020 11:57 AM

If you want custom made tubing - Nick Crumpton can sort you out

uber 06-15-2020 12:37 PM

I too met him at NAHBS in Charlotte. I asked him about his warranty. He said “If anything happens to the frame I will fix it for free, forever”. That’s a freaking warranty!! And, I have never actually seen one in the wild either.

Mike V 06-15-2020 12:54 PM

Talked to him at one of the shows and is very nice and has a passion. The finish on his bikes are very nice. I asked about paint sad said he would do paint but preferred unpainted. He wants his hard work to be seen. He also did some weaves that would make shapes of things. He had an apple on the bike I looked at. Bike without paint was smooth as a baby's behind.

XXtwindad 06-15-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddykins (Post 2740041)
If you want custom made tubing - Nick Crumpton can sort you out

Yes. But there have been a few Crumptons and Argonauts here. Maybe the pinnacle of carbon builders. But I've never seen a Appleman. Apparently, neither has anyone else. And, given the crowd, I wonder why.

superbowlpats 06-15-2020 04:27 PM

I've seen one at a bunch of Cross races last few years in Mass/CT. I think the guy is from CT or maybe NH. It was gorgeous, with lot of blue accents (hubs, HS etc). I couldnt believe he was racing 'cross on such a beautiful (and expensive bike).

Coffee Rider 06-15-2020 06:01 PM

According to his website, Appleman is in Minnesota.

Here is a photo album https://www.flickr.com/photos/applemanbicycles/

charliedid 06-15-2020 07:01 PM

Beautiful.

I've only just heard of the guy.