The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quick Poll...presta nuts! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101634)

toaster 12-27-2011 03:47 PM

Quick Poll...presta nuts!

Saw in an article (magazine) that the idea of running your inner tubes with presta valves and not using the threaded nut was not advised.

I've been using tubes and not putting on the threaded nut or plastic cap forever and no problems.

thegunner 12-27-2011 03:50 PM

never used mine. i read somewhere (and i forget where), but if your tube starts slipping inside the tire and starts to gravitate to one end - it's more advisable to have the nut removed... so you're aware of it. if it's screwed on and locked down, then it just puts stress on the base of the valve - a situation in which you're far more likely to blow out a tube without warning. i see no benefit. also: grams.

Louis 12-27-2011 03:54 PM

Neither nut nor cap here. Been doing it for years with no problems of any sort.

Plus it saves me a huge amount of rotating mass. :p

slowerthanyou 12-27-2011 03:59 PM

Never use it, even on the mountain bikes. Haven't for over 20 years.

markie 12-27-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegunner
never used mine. i read somewhere (and i forget where), but if your tube starts slipping inside the tire and starts to gravitate to one end - it's more advisable to have the nut removed... so you're aware of it. if it's screwed on and locked down, then it just puts stress on the base of the valve - a situation in which you're far more likely to blow out a tube without warning. i see no benefit. also: grams.

Yeah. +1. Not an issue with road bikes (for me at least), but definitely an issue with bigger MTB tires and low pressures.

I do not understand what the nut and cap do. Unless you need the nut to get enough stem outside of the rim to pump your tire up... Bur then you should have probably got longer stemmed tubes.

avalonracing 12-27-2011 05:05 PM

It depends... Sometimes the nut keeps the stem from making a clicking noise on certain rims.

oldpotatoe 12-27-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster
Saw in an article (magazine) that the idea of running your inner tubes with presta valves and not using the threaded nut was not advised.

I've been using tubes and not putting on the threaded nut or plastic cap forever and no problems.

I powder tubes and when you ride, they move around a wee bit inside the tire. If you crank the valve down with the nut you 'can' tear the valve stem so no nutz for me or on the tubes I install.

pitcrew 12-27-2011 05:33 PM

I install so many valve stem nuts that I use all of the available threads on the valve stem :D

JK, no nuts......

Mike748 12-27-2011 05:35 PM

I always use the valve cap. On non-v profile rims I use the nuts, but just barely tightened. If nothing else they are convenient to hold the valve for inflation. I do wonder why they haven't been cost reduced out of existence.

bikinchris 12-27-2011 05:50 PM

Depends. You should not use the nuts on rims that have a sharp V shape. They will just come loose and make noise.
If you have a flat rim, go ahead an use the nut.
Ripping the stem out of the tube comes from other causes.

Bob Loblaw 12-27-2011 05:53 PM

Nut goes on during initial inflation then comes off (though I do keep them...useful little buggers they are).

Caps only on bikes that see heavy weather based on some vague notion that it helps keep the pump head clean.

BL

Steve in SLO 12-27-2011 06:02 PM

o Sometimes

rpettet 12-27-2011 07:24 PM

Caps

Caps are used to prevent valve from piercing tube when rolled in box.

chuckroast 12-27-2011 07:27 PM

Maybe it's just me but....

...don't the valve ends look ummm, incomplete, without a cap?

Yes, I am that guy.

AngryScientist 12-27-2011 07:28 PM

no caps ever.

i mostly use smooth stem valves, so no option for nuts. if i use a threaded valve stem tube though, i do use the nuts....

this is one of those things that is SUPER inconsequential though...