The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Lousy Stinkin Question (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=9051)

Louis 06-14-2005 11:53 PM

A Lousy Stinkin Question

How often do you wash your gloves? I don’t know why, maybe it’s because I sweat more in the summer, or maybe it’s because they don’t really dry out between rides, but at this time of year my gloves stink worse than just about anything out there. They reek big time.

I don’t like to wash them too often, because I figure it can’t be good for the leather, but I have to find a solution to this, because it is bad. The only other thing I’ve thought of is to use two pairs, and alternate, to give them more time to dry out, but I’m not sure that will work. Any ideas?

Stinky in St Louis

Frank 06-15-2005 12:29 AM

I have several pair

and use them all. I buy them when Performance has them on sale, so they are pretty cheap.

When I finish a ride, I take my gloves off and put them in a mesh bag I have hanging in the garage. When I am down to just a couple of clean pairs left, I wash the dirty ones in the bag in cold water, delicate cycle and then dry them on fluff air in the dryer.

The gloves seem to last a lot longer for me when I don't wear them day after day and are certainly fresher.

bcm119 06-15-2005 01:05 AM

I wash my gloves about 3 times per year. There are times when smelling fresh is important...but riding your bike is not one of them. :)

cs124 06-15-2005 02:03 AM

2 cheap pairs, alternate, wash 'em every couple of rides, throw 'em out when they get ratty, can't stand smelly gloves

William 06-15-2005 03:05 AM

Smells bad...SUPER stinky bad? Just Spritz it.

I wash gloves roughly once a week. In between I spritz down after every ride with a spray bottle filled with rubbing alcohol & water (50/50). Hang dry.
I'll also spritz the inside of my helmet, straps, & cycling cap as well after every ride.

No more stink. :no:

William

Ray 06-15-2005 05:54 AM

I don't wash 'em

I buy about 4-5 pair of the cheap Performance old school cotton crochet gloves for about $7 per pair when they're on sale once a year. I hang 'em up on my pegboard and use them sequentially, so it's rare that a set gets used more than once per week, and they dry out very well between uses. By the end of the season, they start getting sort of ratty so I replace them when they go on sale. I've tried washing them, but found that the leather got really funky and the padding never really felt right afterwards. Never had any luck washing expensive or cheap gloves and the cheap ones feel just as comfortable to me, so I go cheap and just chuck 'em once a year.

-Ray

Needs Help 06-15-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis
I don’t like to wash them too often, because I figure it can’t be good for the leather, but I have to find a solution to this, because it is bad. The only other thing I’ve thought of is to use two pairs, and alternate, to give them more time to dry out, but I’m not sure that will work. Any ideas?

Stinky in St Louis

I'm like William: I wash my gloves every week. I have 3 or 4 pairs with some kind of synthetic leather in the palms, and I've had this batch for around 5 years and the leather looks as good as the day I bought them. I wash them in Woolite and hang dry.

I also wash my helmet after most rides--I don't like the way salt encrusted straps feel.

christian 06-15-2005 06:31 AM

You're supposed to wash gloves? Interesting.

I buy a new pair, oh, once a season. I'm a dirty nasty person.

- Christian

Kevan 06-15-2005 06:48 AM

Make soup with'm...

or put them in the washer with the little lady's delicates, then hang'm on the clothesline.

They ain't meant to last f'rever ya know, but there's something to that rotten smell as you're backhanding a runny nose... smells like a soft cheese, french.

Ginger 06-15-2005 06:57 AM

Kevan...have you told your little lady that you've been putting your gloves with velcro in with her delicates. Do You KNOW what velcro does to a ladies delicates?

BAD BAD KEVAN!

Her delicates probably cost more than your stinky old gloves. Treat them nicely.

Kevan 06-15-2005 07:00 AM

Oh!

I thought that was caused from saddle wear.

Oops!

vaxn8r 06-15-2005 11:02 AM

First of all....why wear gloves? I usually don't. Is that akin to not wearing a helmet???

Anyway, I wash my gloves if I use them. How can you not? You wash your shorts right? Jerseys right? Gloves are the worst stink offenders. Sweat. Snot. What have you...

I can't stand stink on a bike, mine or someone else's.

Grant McLean 06-15-2005 11:30 AM

I've been using the Campagnolo "comfort temp" gloves the last couple of seasons. There is no leather in them. They wash very nicely, dry very quickly. The colour doesn't seem to fade. I have a few pair, and rotate them like some others have said.

Grant

MartyE 06-15-2005 11:54 AM

Generally once a week with the other cycling togs.
Jerseys, bibs etc. go in Lingerie bag, gloves don't.

They get soaked riding, whats a little more water ?

pjm 06-15-2005 12:12 PM

I throw 'em right in the washer and dryer with the rest of my laundry and they do just fine. Pearl White-Line gloves. I usually replace them every year.
I clean the helmet pads and straps in the sink with some dish washing liquid. Don't put the helmet in the dryer, its really noisy.