The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shimano pin in KMC chain? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158050)

Shin Getter 10-30-2014 02:55 PM

Shimano pin in KMC chain?

I've browsed around, but found mostly opinions. Has anybody actually tried it?

I needed to add a few links to a KMC DLC chain and I used a new Shimano connecting pin. It went in like it should and the length looked good. The link was stiff at first, but after working the links back and forth it loosened up.

Thanks!

vqdriver 10-30-2014 02:57 PM

why not just use a quick link?

christian 10-30-2014 03:10 PM

Yup, that's a great idea. Chances are you'll die from ebola before you bust your nuts on the stem and crack your teeth, anyway.

^^^^^
sarcasm

Shin Getter 10-30-2014 03:11 PM

I didn't have one...but I did have a couple of the Shimano pins in my toolbox.

Ti Designs 10-30-2014 03:27 PM

I can probably put a Honda piston in a Chevy - I have a few in my parts box. I may need to use a hammer to make the rod fit on the shaft 'cause they're not really the same, and the piston will wobble around a bit, and probably become good friends with the spark plug, but they both use 4 cylinders...

That's a long and sarcastic way of saying no. There are so few standards in the bike industry, chain pins aren't on that list.

oldpotatoe 10-30-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Getter (Post 1648334)
I've browsed around, but found mostly opinions. Has anybody actually tried it?

I needed to add a few links to a KMC DLC chain and I used a new Shimano connecting pin. It went in like it should and the length looked good. The link was stiff at first, but after working the links back and forth it loosened up.

Thanks!

and "I didn't have one...but I did have a couple of the Shimano pins in my toolbox."

Since the chain is NOT designed to have a pin shoved thru it's outer plates, I think it's a "bad idea"...why not use a snap link, ya know, like a KMC one?

I know it's silver and all but get a sharpie.

ultraman6970 10-30-2014 03:34 PM

LOL

You can like add links from the same brands but mix them is like no no to me, and im one of the ones that doesnt follow the rules :p

Lets be optimistics on this one. Let us know how it goes :)

Louis 10-30-2014 04:04 PM

FWIW (and only marginally related to the original post)

SRAM 9-spd quick-link works perfectly in a Shimano 9-spd chain.

I've been doing it for years and years. No problems at all.

Shin Getter 10-30-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 1648357)

Since the chain is NOT designed to have a pin shoved thru it's outer plates, I think it's a "bad idea"...why not use a snap link, ya know, like a KMC one?

You sure about that?

Cicli 10-30-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Getter (Post 1648386)
You sure about that?

No, why dont you give it a try? Report back. Afterall, i dont think its possible to bounce my junk off of your top tube.

Shin Getter 10-30-2014 04:41 PM

Lots of bitter replies to a simple question.

Thanks for the help.

Cicli 10-30-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Getter (Post 1648400)
Lots of bitter replies to a simple question.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry if mine came off that way. You were advised aginst it and kept going looking for the answer you wanted. I gave you that answer. Go for it, it will be fine.
Maybe.

Lewis Moon 10-30-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Getter (Post 1648386)
You sure about that?

Heh...oh yeah, 17 posts.

PS: This is who you're asking:
http://www.bicycling.com/sites/defau...e-vecchios.jpg

christian 10-30-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Getter (Post 1648334)
Has anybody actually tried it?

No, we're smarter than you. Better? This time I specifically answered your question.

Lewis Moon 10-30-2014 06:23 PM

OK. Slack for the new guy.
Most, if not all, new chains have pins that are "mushroomed" at the outer plate. Like rivets. Often, when you push a pin out, you actually get a little ring of metal around the pin on your chain tool. This is the portion of the chain pin that secures it in the outer plate. Without that, the plate can (more easily) come off...leading to broken teeth and crushed huevos.
Use a quick link.
You're welcome.