The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT - GMC Yukon Owners - buying a used Yukon at Carmax (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=216170)

rinconryder 01-12-2018 12:27 PM

OT - GMC Yukon Owners - buying a used Yukon at Carmax

I am buying a used 2016 GMC Yukon XL from Carmax with 46K miles. They have the extended warranty option for $2300. I am thinking of passing. I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe that has been very reliable but is getting high in miles and starting to have issues.

Would you go with the extended warranty or just pass on the principal that GMC makes pretty reliable products. The one thing that is different is these newer cars do have more electronics than say mine from 2006.

Any thought are appreciated as I am on the fence. Thanks!

Wes

BobbyJones 01-12-2018 12:47 PM

I believe the Yukon has a 5 yr /100k Factory Warranty - 60k on body, that is transferrable. (Of course, please check with GMC and the VIN history).

No need for additional warranties unless it covers extra perks above the factory one that you feel are worth it.

Edit: I'm wrong. Just checked. 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain.

Birddog 01-12-2018 01:03 PM

FYI, if you do go for the ext warranty, the price is negotiable. Personally, I would skip it unless you have a ton of electronic gadgets, then I might consider.

Kingfisher 01-12-2018 02:52 PM

Pass on the extended...I did the same thing a few years ago....they were hard selling the extended

Ken Robb 01-12-2018 04:18 PM

There are quite a few warranty providers so you might want to shop around. Several times when I bought cars or motorcycles I too got the hard sell to buy an extended warranty. I never got one but before the dealers gave up on me they had reduced the price of their warranties by s much as 40%!

Ralph 01-12-2018 04:24 PM

It's just insurance. Like any other. if a big repair messes up your budget, you might wish you had it. If not...pass on it. Personally....I usually pass. But on my mid 80's mother in law....bought it once. She just could not afford a big unexpected repair. She could afford the insurance though, cause she could pay that monthly with her payment.

As someone said above. many times it's negotiable. Offer them $1500 for it or something....or whatever it's worth to you....if anything.

My rule.....Plan for what could happen, not for what might happen.

tylercheung 01-12-2018 07:16 PM

slightly OT, but apparently there is one automotive columnist who has a running humor schtick to get a totally unreliable lemon like, say, a Range Rover, and get it off CarMax w/ the warranty. That thing apparently pays for itself several times over, and the service is supposedly pretty good.

But this is a humor article to take it w/ a grain of salt.

parris 01-12-2018 08:44 PM

The dept I work for has a mix of Tahoes, Explorers, 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford 4x4 trucks, Chevy van's and Chevy cars. The Tahoe and Explorer are on patrol on average 16+ hr's a day. Some of them have been problem vehicles since day 1 but the majority have been very solid for our road deputies. I can say that the new Fords with the police package is surprisingly fast.

GM being GM my thought is that even if there are issues there are so many that there are generally a good number of shops that can service them easily. Good luck with your purchase.

carpediemracing 01-13-2018 08:12 PM

I can't speak for now but when I was looking seriously at cars about a year ago I gave Carmax a hard look. I compared car warranties with AAA, the only other provider I'd trust other than certified/OEM warranties, and CarMax was significantly lower. I worked at a dealership that serviced cars for CarMax, meaning if CarMax felt the issue was over their head they'd simply send to a dealer, so that's good.

I now work at a service place and we see a couple CarMax customers. Generally speaking they've been happy with the extended warranty service, I think there was one person in a year that wasn't happy. We're one exit away from the CarMax so I figure we'd see frustrated CarMax customers.

Gsinill 09-09-2022 04:48 PM

Endurance vs. Carchex vs. Carmax Extended

I know this is an old thread but bringing this back to life since I just was in the same situation and maybe someone benefits from a more recent transaction.
In the end, I stuck with Carmax's extended warranty.
Considered Endurance and Carchex as the only ones that seem to have good ratings.
Need to look into AAA, wasn't aware that they offer a warranty as well.
  1. Quoting
    - Carchex and Endurance suck, need to fill out an online form with all info first they then get back to you a day later
    - Carmax: since they already have all your data, they just pull it up in the purchasing process for the car
  2. Coverage, that's where it gets murky
    - Endurance tries as hard as they can to be non-transparent. Spent 20 min. on a call and in the end, I had no idea what I'll get, other than that it must be their top-of-the-line Titanium package because "with this car, anything else makes no sense". They also refused to send me a sample contract. No idea whether there is a cap, per case, or cumulative
    - Carchex was similar, at least initially. The sales rep then loosened up a little since he probably realized that I won't fall for what he learned in the one-week crash course. Finally, he sent me a link to my quote where I was even able to play with the coverage. $15K cap, not sure about cumulative vs. per case, still have to talk to them about that
    - Carmax gave me basically a combination of 3 options: 40 vs. 48 months, 100K vs. 125K miles, and 5 deductibles and they printed a sample contract that was surprisingly good and transparent. It's exclusionary, i.e. everything is covered except it's on the exclusion list.
  3. Price
    - Endurance: black hole, the initial quote for their Titanium package was 2x that of Carmax, their main justification is that Carmax farms theirs out and you might have to call different companies before you get approval. Point taken, but the only reason I am getting coverage is for catastrophic failures.
    I have no problem spending a few hours on the phone to get things sorted out
    "No thanks", then the haggling started "we do have a labor day special, first payment only 99, and I can see what I can do." Politely declined...
    - Carchex, again similar to Endurance initially, but in the end, the rep tried hard to tweak the quote without any BS tactics. Finally, he offered to work with me if I get the Carmax warranty, his last quote was already close
    - Carmax was the cheapest and there was no way to negotiate, I think they know how they compare to the others and see no need to haggle

Went with Carmax's Extended Warranty, put it on my CC, get a few percent back. I can still cancel if I find a better deal but I guess I am done hunting, maybe AAA.
Lastly, Endurance totally fits the used car stereotype, getting at least 4 calls a day since Monday.
Carchex has been pleasant to work with, just asking to get back to them once I have the Carmax warranty to see what they can do but unlike Endurance no calls since.

BTW, a word on Carmax.
To my surprise, the best car buying transaction ever.
Held the car at my local store a few days prior to the test drive and almost a week after to sort things out.
Zero pressure and their financing beat my credit union one that had by far the best rates for the last 3 purchases.