The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT Terribly sad news - Kobe Bryant (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246864)

Matthew 01-26-2020 03:17 PM

I did read that his 13 year old daughter was also on board as well as another former NBA player. Reported by CBS I believe.

Elefantino 01-26-2020 03:37 PM

Not to drift, but this reminds me of the death of NASCAR great Davey Allison in 1993. My son, then 10, was a huge Davey fan and spent time with him in Sonoma in '92. Lots of tears then, too.

So sad.

Blue Jays 01-26-2020 03:44 PM

Whoa. Horrible news. A sports legend.

Tony T 01-26-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 2648908)
I did read that his 13 year old daughter was also on board as well as another former NBA player. Reported by CBS I believe.

New York Times is also reporting that his daughter was with him (The retired Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, Calif.)

Matthew 01-26-2020 04:45 PM

CNN just said nine confirmed dead now. Just keeps getting worse.

David Kirk 01-26-2020 05:03 PM

This effing blows.

Even with all he accomplished in his early years one can say his life had just begun.

Rest in peace young man.

dave

joosttx 01-26-2020 06:26 PM

So sad. On so many levels. I am wishing his family peace and healing. God Bless them.

FlashUNC 01-26-2020 06:49 PM

Great 2 guard who fit the era he played in.

After that, well, that's about the only compliment I can think of for the guy.

jimcav 01-26-2020 07:23 PM

As Thumper's Daddy might say

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2648989)

Just stop after that 1st sentence, if you don't have anything nice to say. He was doing some good work with after school all stars, and his own foundation that I heard or read in SOCAL news not that long ago.

XXtwindad 01-26-2020 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=FlashUNC;2648989]Great 2 guard who fit the era he played in.

Well, I can see your perspective. It's certainly a rational one. His legacy is complicated - undoubtedly the most complicated in this Millennium. But that doesn't explain why I've been teary eyed all day.

Kobe was a master of burnishing his own legacy. He created the "Mamba," the gunner who saved the day late in the game (the stats don't exactly agree) and the charming, charismatic, and handsome man who was tailor-made for Tinseltown. Except that was really a myth, too. See: hotel room, Colorado. And his teammates didn't exactly adore him.

Contrast Kobe with AI, who was seemingly his antithesis. And he was. Yet the press flipped the script. AI was adored by his community, and his teammates.

But it's easy to digest a ready-made script. At the Philly/LA game last night, (the same game where the cameras zoomed in on LBJ's eerily prescient "Kobe Homage" shoes) my buddy and I saw a guy embrace Mark Jackson and Van Gundy. We didn't know who it was. We were shocked when we found out it was AI. Hard to believe. He looked drastically different from his playing days.

But not Kobe. He was the first basketball superstar of the Internet Age, and for 25 years, he never appeared anything less than youthful, confident, and indestructible. Hard to reconcile the fact that he's gone.

That's why I've been crying on and off today. Especially now that I'm a parent. You want to believe that someone like Kobe, who so artfully mastered his own legacy, would be impervious to the capricious whims of fate.

But he wasn't.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports...e39cb09c4.html

FlashUNC 01-26-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimcav (Post 2649005)
Just stop after that 1st sentence, if you don't have anything nice to say. He was doing some good work with after school all stars, and his own foundation that I heard or read in SOCAL news not that long ago.

Or for a more holistic reading he leaves a, uh, complicated legacy.

Chris 01-26-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2649011)

We can always count on you to come in and demonstrate how to lack class when a time calls for it. Why can’t you just keep your holier than thou soapbox rants to yourself when there’s a thread about someone’s death?

FlashUNC 01-26-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 2649022)
We can always count on you to come in and demonstrate how to lack class when a time calls for it. Why can’t you just keep your holier than thou soapbox rants to yourself when there’s a thread about someone’s death?

Because it's a discussion forum?

jimcav 01-26-2020 07:47 PM

Not disagreeing with that

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2649011)

I'm actually not a personal fan, apart from enjoying his athleticism, I just question the need or utility of any disparaging comments on what is a essentially a RIP thread, started out of respect. Bambi was the 1st movie my parents ever took me to, and my mom would often use it to remind me to speak kindly, or not at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and has the right to express it; and perhaps it is just the contentious political times are wearing on me, but I sometimes wish people would just give more consideration to when to express. But, I suppose I'm just as guilty, as I didn't need to comment on your entirely reasonable view that you had nothing else positive to say.

cash05458 01-26-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2648989)

check out facebook stuff...pretty much it's noone will miss a rapist...things are so outta control in this nation emotionally...