The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fillet brazed and Bi-laminate bikes = Sexy (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36649)

William 11-30-2007 04:52 AM

Fillet brazed and Bi-laminate bikes = Sexy

What is it about fillet brazed bikes that I find so sexy?

Is it the smooth, silky, seamless junctions where the tubes intersect that allow that beautiful, lustrous paint to just flow with uninterrupted abandon?

Is it the hidden strength that underlies that smooth flow that gives me peace of mind to stomp full force into the pedal stroke with no worries?

Maybe it's the fact that just about every builder I talk to steers me in that direction due to height, weight, and strength issues?

The Serotta Skunkbirds 1 & 2, and the Zanc Effin Cross Bike are fillet brazed.....and I love em.

Any fillet lovers besides me here?

Shout out your love! :banana:

William

Sandy 11-30-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William

Is it the smooth, silky, seamless junctions where the tubes intersect that allow that beautiful, lustrous paint to just flow with uninterrupted abandon?

Is it the hidden strength that underlies that smooth flow that gives me peace of mind to stomp full force into the pedal stroke with no worries?

Maybe it's the fact that just about every builder I talk to steers me in that direction due to height, weight, and strength issues?

The Serotta Skunkbirds 1 & 2, and the Zanc Effin Cross Bike are fillet brazed.....and I love em.

Shout out your love! :banana:

William

I love you William! Oops. Sorry. I got carried away for a moment. :) Actually, I think it is your first choice- "...the smooth, silky, seamless junctions where the tubes intersect that....". You really said it beautifully. I had considered purchasing a Kirk non-Terraplane bike. Lugs or fillet brazed woud have been a tough choice. I loved the lugs in my CSI, but a fillet brazed Kirk with its Joe Bell paint would be beautiful enough to hang on a wall. The "smooth,silky, seamless junctions, are what really makes a well done filley brazed bike look so beautiful.

I really wished that the Coeur D' Acier in all steel that I ordered could hve been ordered either with lugs or fillet brazed. I do think that Serotta does a very nice job with its tig welding though.

Those Zanc bikes really are beautifully done, aren't they?

:banana: Smooth Silky Seamless Senseless Serotta Sandy :banana:

William 11-30-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy
I love you William! Oops. Sorry. I got carried away for a moment. :)

:banana: Smooth Silky Seamless Senseless Serotta Sandy :banana:

Just don't tell Kevan. :D ;)

I would like to see more FB's being offered out there, but they are labor intensive. It has to be a labor of love though.

William

aLexis 11-30-2007 08:10 AM

No panty lines.

sspielman 11-30-2007 08:23 AM

....don't start daydreaming about fillet brazing at a spin class loaded with the Stepford wives....

Kirk007 11-30-2007 08:23 AM

smooth

3 Attachment(s)
curves

William 11-30-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk007
curves

Smoooooth curves! :cool:

Love it!! :banana:

William

flux 11-30-2007 08:54 AM

Current Fav.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=010

Ahneida Ride 11-30-2007 09:56 AM

It's easy Uncle William .....

We have reached a stage in our lives when we realize that MORE is not
necessarily better. Less is more ...

Less is more.
Family is more important then a Porsche.

Less is more.
A Mr. Brian Smith Fillet is just a sweet as a Mr. Kelly Bedford TdF lug.
and we all know how impressive a Kelly hand-cut TdF lug is !!!!!

Here is hoping that the Mr. Brian Smith or Mr. Dave Kirk Fillet CSI returns ....

Now as the gracious and gentlemanly BIG MAC would say .... "Go Ride!" ....

vaxn8r 11-30-2007 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by William

Shout out your love!

William

I'M A FILET LOVER!

I have another theory to add to your list. Beaver tails have a sort of lugless appearance. It's who you are, deep down.

zap 11-30-2007 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
William, just for you.

swoop 11-30-2007 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)

William 11-30-2007 10:40 AM

You guys are spoiling me...don't stop!!! :D C'ept swoop, he's kinda scaring me. :)

William

PS: Vax, I can't deny it.

RudAwkning 11-30-2007 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's all about what's under the paint :D

rpm 11-30-2007 11:27 AM

I get nostalgic about one of my early bikes, a fillet brazed Schwinn Sports Tourer. It wasn't light but it rolled beautifully. Those old Schwinns were under-appreciated. Sheldon Brown has a great article on them:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html