The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A 3 hour, 21 minute documentary about -7 (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246304)

Elefantino 01-11-2020 07:05 AM

A 3 hour, 21 minute documentary about -7

A 3 hour, 21 minute documentary about -7 will debut this month at Sundance. It's made by Marina Zenovich, who directed docs about Robin Williams and Roman Polanski, for ESPN.

I could barely stomach three-plus hours of "The Irishman" and I like Scorsese.

false_Aest 01-11-2020 07:58 AM

OK. my google is failing me.

what's -7?

johnniecakes 01-11-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by false_Aest (Post 2642457)
OK. my google is failing me.

what's -7?

I believe he is referring to Lance Armstrong and his 7 TDF victories

Tickdoc 01-11-2020 08:27 AM

I can barely stomach any of his podcasts when my “ I’m still a fan” cycling buddy sends them to me. How the hell am I supposed to endure this?

tbike4 01-11-2020 08:41 AM

https://www.sundance.org/projects/lance

oldpotatoe 01-11-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tickdoc (Post 2642466)
I can barely stomach any of his podcasts when my “ I’m still a fan” cycling buddy sends them to me. How the hell am I supposed to endure this?

Errrr, don't watch it? I don't need 3 hours and 21 minutes to know LA-7 was a turd...

Burnette 01-11-2020 09:47 AM

I'll Catch It

It was pro cycling at it's peak, it brought people into the sport, people watching the sport, people buying and riding bicycles. He was around the biggest names, was the king of it all and has stories about all those people, races and back stories.

The fall from grace, the fallout, the flawed human experience are all a part of that same story. Abhorrence of the figure is understandable, he gets the reasons why it's that way, but if you want a glimpse into those days, he's the guy that knows it best.

fignon's barber 01-11-2020 06:02 PM

I find Lance interesting. I'll watch it. Thanks for the heads up.

Hawker 01-11-2020 06:25 PM

There have already been at least four documentaries done about this. Is there anything interesting we haven't already seen or heard?

Burnette 01-11-2020 06:45 PM

The Lighting Will Be Different :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawker (Post 2642734)
There have already been at least four documentaries done about this. Is there anything interesting we haven't already seen or heard?

It was a crazy time in cycling, so many people were really into it then. I see it like "Behind The Music" shows, it's interesting to see what really went on backstage.

Will there be new stuff? Probably not, but it looks like it's going to be well made, I want to see what they do with the material.

Hawker 01-11-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnette (Post 2642741)
It was a crazy time in cycling, so many people were really into it then. I see it like "Behind The Music" shows, it's interesting to see what really went on backstage.

Will there be new stuff? Probably not, but it looks like it's going to be well made, I want to see what they do with the material.

It was "crazy" indeed. For the first time in my life "regular" people knew about bike racing and cyclists were seen in a slightly better light. That's part of what made it so depressing and disappointing in the end.

Burnette 01-11-2020 07:08 PM

Same

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawker (Post 2642748)
It was "crazy" indeed. For the first time in my life "regular" people knew about bike racing and cyclists were seen in a slightly better light. That's part of what made it so depressing and disappointing in the end.

Exactly. At work, with family, if I was on my bike people all around would ask me the latest of how "we" (winning American in the Tour!) were doing in the tour. The bike biz exploded, more people got into riding. And the doped racing? It was incredible to watch. The break aways, the climbing attacks, counter attacks. Team time trials and oh, the sprints.

Now it's like a band that made some good music and we rehash the dark side of the drug abuse that went on while they were putting out albums.

Louis 01-11-2020 07:25 PM

There's no doubt that the guy's a cheat, on the other hand, I also know that I can't the only one here who years ago had some young gal yell "Go Lance!" as she passed me in a car.

But yes, he's still a bum.

Vientomas 01-11-2020 08:39 PM

F Lance.

RonW87 01-11-2020 08:39 PM

The cheating isn't the reason he's vilified.