The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New bike bulid - is the frame too big? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=268802)

eurodude 05-11-2021 07:36 AM

New bike bulid - is the frame too big?

1 Attachment(s)
So i bought this nice Sycip. But i might have been a bit optimistic about the saddleheight, the toptube length is fine and the standover height is ok but the saddleheight is a bit mehhh, personally i prefer to have more seatpost showing, mostly because it looks right? And i like to be able to see the seatpost logo - ohh well. So whats the verdict here? I’am going for a flat bar setup and the bike is just for cruising around - like the Caletti Scrambler kind of thing.

Black Dog 05-11-2021 07:43 AM

Ride it. You cant see the seat post while riding and also, there would be a lot more showing if the sea tube did not extend as far up above the top tube as it does. It's all fine.

oldpotatoe 05-11-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 2925703)
So i bought this nice Sycip. But i might have been a bit optimistic about the saddleheight, the toptube length is fine and the standover height is ok but the saddleheight is a bit mehhh, personaly i prefer to have more seatpost showing, mostly because it looks right? And i like to be able to see the seatpost logo - ohh well. So whats the verdict here? I’am going for a flat bar setup and the bike is just for cruising around - like the Caletti Scrambler kind of thing.

Important frame dimensions are top tube length, seat tube angle and stand over. How it 'looks' means not much.

Not a very slopey top tube, so seatpost showing will be less. If the standover is OK..looks like a good rig for you..'For just cruising around'...I think it'll be just great.

wallymann 05-11-2021 07:48 AM

i think it looks fine -- a proper fixie/townie!

LeMond123 05-11-2021 08:20 AM

Agree with the other posters, looks great as-is assuming the fit (stem/reach, seat setback) is where you need it!

fredd 05-11-2021 08:32 AM

That looks hot. Post more pics.

robt57 05-11-2021 08:49 AM

Well some frames have more ST above the TT like that. Good looking bike, If it bothers you maybe a black post will minimize it visually.

charliedid 05-11-2021 08:55 AM

You are asking because you feel it is too big and I think I agree.

That said I don't know that it matters for your use. I don't think the relative height of the seat post is at issue but the fact that it's a straight post with the saddle pushed forward has me thinking you 'might' be effecting reach with that position?

eurodude 05-11-2021 11:00 AM

This is just my first setup to see the saddleheight so the saddle is just mounted pretty random. Also going for a shorter stem - again this is just the “test” setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliedid (Post 2925728)
You are asking because you feel it is too big and I think I agree.

That said I don't know that it matters for your use. I don't think the relative height of the seat post is at issue but the fact that it's a straight post with the saddle pushed forward has me thinking you 'might' be effecting reach with that position?

tv_vt 05-11-2021 01:04 PM

I think if it was a black post and black saddle, it wouldn't be as noticeable.

It's your bike, though. Only you can decide if it's ok.

marsh 05-11-2021 01:15 PM

I bet a shorter stem with a little bit more rise, and maybe some swept back bars for hand comfort would feel a lot better.

tuscanyswe 05-11-2021 01:37 PM

If you were to make a new bike custom for you the only difference would be that you had a shorter seattube and more seatpost showing if i understand your post correctly.

I think that new frame with more slope on the toptube in order to have shorter seattube would not turn out a much better looking tbh. I think this look quite balanced.

If you want your bars this high and your seat at about the same level as the bars you are kinda stuck with either having a very sloping frame to get you more seatpost showing or a lower front and and seattube as well but then you would need a large spacer stack instead in order to get the bars up.

I think its more about your fit preference than anything else really.

Looks good now go ride .)

eurodude 05-11-2021 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the inputs, my other bike is custom. But a monstercross frame leaning more towards mtb geometry - the Sycip is more pure cross.