The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Eclipse, who’s going? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=305712)

mtb_frk 04-05-2024 02:33 PM

OT: Eclipse, who’s going?

I’m really torn about going. It’s about 2.5 hours of driving on a normal day for me to make it to the totality area. Reading articles about how crazy the traffic will be makes me kind of happy I don’t have any plans that I am committed to. But also, to experience it, probably very awe inspiring. Major FOMO happening already.

GregL 04-05-2024 02:41 PM

It's a 30 second walk from my office to the front door of my building, so I'm going :). The ride home may be interesting. I live and work near the intersection of I90 and I81. There could potentially be several hundred thousand additional travelers in that area Sunday and Monday. May be a good day to commute on my bike (sticking to residential streets).

Greg

572cv 04-05-2024 02:56 PM

Looks like it is going to be clear here in NW Vermont pretty much directly under the center of this thing. That being the case, I'll have to get some deck chairs and cushions out of the basement and bring them outside, and we'll set up for the show with ginger beers on the patio and watch the heavens. The local radio station is going to play Claire de Lune ! It should be very cool, not even including the fact that the temperature is supposed to drop 4 degrees in a few moments while the event is in progress. I'm not just going, I'm there .:)

steelbikerider 04-05-2024 03:02 PM

I will be in my son's backyard just north of Austin directly in the path of totality. Just hope the weather clears.

p nut 04-05-2024 03:12 PM

2.5 hours of driving? No brainer. Do it. I drove 5+ hours for the last one in 2017. I’d drive 10 hours for it. It’s amazing. It’s more than just the moon blocking light for a couple minutes. I don’t want to oversell it. But it was one of the most impactful moments in my life.

And I’m referring to path of Totality. Not 99% coverage. It’s not the same.

mistermo 04-05-2024 03:14 PM

Here in Indianapolis, in the path of totality, there's warnings galore about the traffic jams everyone thinks will occur. I don't get it. I know there's several 'viewing' events around town, complete with bands and booze, but I can't see everyone hitting the road precisely as it's over. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is welcoming viewers and there's a program there too.

I kinda view this similarly to Y2K when everyone expected a cataclysmic cyber event that never materialized. I'm sure there'll be traffic on the road, but not so much that it'll make things impassable. Heck, if 300K people can leave the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after the race, I don't see why a much smaller group can't do it Monday.

We'll see soon, I suppose. Musings over.

Likes2ridefar 04-05-2024 03:15 PM

It’s around 65 to 70% coverage in my area and I doubt I’ll bother to step outside. I’m apparently one of the few that has really no interest or excitement in this. It occurred just last year here nearly dark, exciting.

Baron Blubba 04-05-2024 03:17 PM

Shenandoah National Park will get 80-90% coverage. I live around the corner from the entrance, so will probably ride up to an opportunistic overlook and see it from there.

mtb_frk 04-05-2024 03:24 PM

Reading some threads on Reddit, people were talking about the 2017 eclipse and it taking 3 or so hours to get to where they were going to watch it, but 10-12 hours to get home.

Here it’s like 98-99%, that extra 1% makes all the difference though.

sjbraun 04-05-2024 04:18 PM

Driving from Tucson to Temple, TX tomorrow. Forecast looks iffy. Fingers crossed.

makoti 04-05-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar (Post 3370005)
It’s around 65 to 70% coverage in my area and I doubt I’ll bother to step outside. I’m apparently one of the few that has really no interest or excitement in this. It occurred just last year here nearly dark, exciting.

Frankly, at that %, don't bother. Now, if you were in the path and didn't bother, that'd be a shame

makoti 04-05-2024 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtb_frk (Post 3370010)
Reading some threads on Reddit, people were talking about the 2017 eclipse and it taking 3 or so hours to get to where they were going to watch it, but 10-12 hours to get home.

Here it’s like 98-99%, that extra 1% makes all the difference though.

It really does. It is all or nothing.
I'm driving from Va to Ohio to Alliance, which will have about 99%, then Monday morning driving somewhere. Maybe north to Erie, maybe west to the middle of the state. Depends on what it looks like Sunday night/Monday morning. No matter where I go, it'll be a 90 min drive (normally). I'm leaving 4 hours to get there.

nortx-Dave 04-05-2024 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar (Post 3370005)

I'm on the edge of the path of totality, 80 to 90% for me but I don't get the excitement either. The weather guessers are predicting an 80% chance of storms with all day cloudiness anyway.

Ozz 04-05-2024 05:07 PM

If you've never done it....do it. It's pretty cool.

I've seen two...in 1979 my HS took a bunch of us (nerds) over to Yakima, WA to watch it....very cool.

When the 2017 eclipse came around I wanted to make sure my boys saw it...luckily I have a sister that lives in OR and in the shadow path....we stayed at her place and made a weekend of it....successfully avoiding the crowds! We took the long way home with stops in Hood River for beer & pizza, crossed the Columbia at Maryhill and saw the roadside attraction Stonehenge, and did some wine tasting too!

Go early....find a good spot to stay (camping or otherwise) and don't be in a rush to get home....just enjoy the spectacle.

austex 04-05-2024 05:13 PM

I'm in central Texas near Kerrville for it, but weather forecast is iffy. Saw 2017 in Nebraska.
Will visit family while here, so not a total lost trip if clouded out.