The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   44mm headtubes and tapered forks, worth it? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=157219)

FlashUNC 10-15-2014 02:21 PM

44mm headtubes and tapered forks, worth it?

I've got a new project in the pipeline that should be ready sometime this Spring, and I'm kicking around getting a 44mm headtube with a tapered fork over the standard 1 1/8.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? Is it totally overkill? Totally awesome?

Figure this has to be better to argue about than Rapha...

EDS 10-15-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 1639710)
I've got a new project in the pipeline that should be ready sometime this Spring, and I'm kicking around getting a 44mm headtube with a tapered fork over the standard 1 1/8.

Unless you are a big boy, I think it is more of an aesthetic issue. I personally like the way it looks and would definitely go with the oversized headtube/tapered fork, but I am probably in the minority on that.

red7 10-15-2014 02:30 PM

The 44mm head tube is ideal for a 29er where the fork's extra length puts a lot of leverage on the head tube. The larger diameter helps resist those forces.

If you have a stiff fork and wheel on your road bike, the 1 1/8 standard is plenty stiff but then steel- and ti-framebuilders are trying to compete with the carbon and the expectation many riders coming from carbon frames have. The 44mm option helps.

John H. 10-15-2014 02:34 PM

More info?

Frame size?
Type of frame?
Rider weight?
I had a 44mm headtube frame. I though it was more stiffness than I needed.
I am sub 150, medium frame size, and it was a road bike.

gavingould 10-15-2014 02:36 PM

i'm a big boy. it's great.

carpediemracing 10-15-2014 02:46 PM

At 180-200+ lbs I was on a SystemSix with a ginormous lower headset race. It was the best cornering bike I'd ever ridden. Better than my customs, better than anything I rode in the prior 8? years. Even at 155 lbs my Tsunami, with 1 1/8 top/bottom, was/is a noodle in corners compared to the SystemSix (using either a Reynolds Ouzo or currently a ENVE 2.0 fork).

If I could do it I'd get a tapered fork set up. I couldn't so I didn't.

As far as comfort I didn't notice anything really negative with the fork. I was good for 6-8 hours plus. It's more about the fork and tires I think. I used the same stem/bars/wheels/tires before and after the SystemSix, although I've since changed all of them.

Of course it could be the same for the lateral stiffness in corners but I think the ENVE 2.0 and the Ouzo are two really good forks. The flex must come from the steerer/crown area, and the wider fork should be more rigid.

FlashUNC 10-15-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H. (Post 1639727)
Frame size?
Type of frame?
Rider weight?
I had a 44mm headtube frame. I though it was more stiffness than I needed.
I am sub 150, medium frame size, and it was a road bike.

58-60 depending on the measurements (I'm a big kid.)
Road, something aggressive for the Saturday morning Donut ride hammerfest. I've got the all-day stage race bike. Looking for something a bit more lively.
195 on my way to 180. (See above.)

Lionel 10-15-2014 02:57 PM

Aluminum bike right ?

Then yes to 44 and tapered fork.

John H. 10-15-2014 03:00 PM

44mm

Sounds like a 44mm headtube with a tapered fork would be ideal for your intended use.

FastforaSlowGuy 10-15-2014 03:10 PM

I'll put in a plug for matching the HT size to the rest of the pipes. I think 44 can look fine on bikes with really oversized tubes, but if the main triangle isn't fat enough, it just looks weird. I'm not sure it adds a ton to steering sharpness. I've had a tapered HT (on my Museeuw), and it cornered softer than my CAAD (straight 1.125). As others have said, I think a lot of that is in the fork and getting the rest of the geo right.

abalone 10-15-2014 03:23 PM

Interesting question. 44mm head tubes and tapered forks are stiffer, but weigh more than traditional skinnier headtubes.

For carbon, it's not a big deal because the bikes are so light anyway and it's easy for the big manufacturers to use less ply in the carbon layups to compensate for the additional weight.

Steel and Ti bikes take a big weight gain with 44mm headtubes and tapered steerers. Especially steel bikes where the only tapered steel steerer a custom builder can get easily is made by Paragon and it is HEAVY! Definitely overbuilt. Plus, steel and Ti 44mm headtubes weigh more than traditional skinny headtubes.

John H. 10-15-2014 03:24 PM

Ti

Yeah, I was thinking ti or aluminum when I suggested 44mm.
I would not do it on steel- too big of a difference in tube sizes.

John H. 10-15-2014 03:26 PM

Not really

Not much of a difference in frame weight for ti.
The weight difference is more due to the different headset and fork.
A King Inset7 is not so light compared to a 11/8 King.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abalone (Post 1639771)
Interesting question. 44mm head tubes and tapered forks are stiffer, but weigh more than traditional skinnier headtubes.

For carbon, it's not a big deal because the bikes are so light anyway and it's easy for the big manufacturers to use less ply in the carbon layups to compensate for the additional weight.

Steel and Ti bikes take a big weight gain with 44mm headtubes and tapered steerers. Especially steel bikes where the only tapered steel steerer a custom builder can get easily is made by Paragon and it is HEAVY! Definitely overbuilt. Plus, steel and Ti 44mm headtubes weigh more than traditional skinny headtubes.

oldpotatoe 10-15-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 1639710)

Road? MTB? Sumthin else?

No. Yes. Maybe.

FlashUNC 10-15-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionel (Post 1639746)
Aluminum bike right ?

Then yes to 44 and tapered fork.

You know what I've got in the hopper. No spoilers now...

But yes, it'll be an aluminum frame. Road. As aggressive as my spine can tolerate.