The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The EPA got one (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=284259)

gdw 07-01-2022 08:00 AM

The EPA got one

Modifying diesel engines to emit smoke can be costly
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...clean-air-act/

AngryScientist 07-01-2022 08:19 AM

excellent.

one has to wonder how much money he made on selling these defeat devices compared to the $2M he was fined.

I can certainly understand wanting more power out of your truck, but it takes a special kind of stupid to think it's "cool" to roll coal and dump dirty black soot out of your truck.

cmbicycles 07-01-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 3112875)
excellent.

one has to wonder how much money he made on selling these defeat devices compared to the $2M he was fined.

I can certainly understand wanting more power out of your truck, but it takes a special kind of stupid to think it's "cool" to roll coal and dump dirty black soot out of your truck.

Article says he brought in about $10m selling them over a few years, but glad they are cracking down.

zap 07-01-2022 08:49 AM

Regarding another popular mod, how are lift mods legal as bumpers clearly do not align with the majority of motor vehicles.

oldpotatoe 07-01-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 3112875)
excellent.

Rhetorical.:)

Elefantino 07-01-2022 08:50 AM

I've been coal rolled. It's not funny.

tellyho 07-01-2022 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 3112893)
I've been coal rolled. It's not funny.

Seriously, the first time it happened I was just dumbstruck. I live in liberal-land. But it's happened several times since then. Really, just stupid.

R3awak3n 07-01-2022 09:08 AM

I am good with this as well.

Big Dan 07-01-2022 09:10 AM

Back in the day they used to measure our bumpers and make us cover our lights.
Now it's a free for all.

Ken Robb 07-01-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 3112891)
Regarding another popular mod, how are lift mods legal as bumpers clearly do not align with the majority of motor vehicles.

I wondered about this for years. Our cars have to have bumpers at a certain height to protect ourselves and people in other cars by ensuring that the bumpers match up. We also have to have side beams in our car doors to protect us from impacts by legal-height bumpers. When I look at jacked up vehicles next to my Honda Civic and see the bumpers even with or higher than my head I wonder how they can be legal.

ripvanrando 07-01-2022 09:31 AM

In NJ, you are allowed up to an additional 6 inches of tire diameter and 7-11 inches of total lift height depending on the weight of the vehicle. These laws vary by state as does the lack of inspection of motor vehicles. NJ does not inspect pickups at all.

Lots and lots of diesel trucks have these device to roll coal. I don't think coal rolling is the primary purpose of the kits, they are for increase power and fuel efficiency. The coal rolling is just a stupid gimmick for the kids.

bigbill 07-01-2022 10:20 AM

My 6.7 Powerstroke F-250 has an intact emissions system. I've never been able to make it produce any visible exhaust. It's a 2020 so it uses DEF which isn't the PITA I thought it would be. The DEF tank is 7.5 gallons and the truck uses a gallon for every 1000 miles, so I refill it after oil changes.

I do see people rolling coal all the time because it's NW Arizona and there's nothing else to do. I do see it less with $6 diesel.

jamesdak 07-01-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Robb (Post 3112910)
I wondered about this for years. Our cars have to have bumpers at a certain height to protect ourselves and people in other cars by ensuring that the bumpers match up. We also have to have side beams in our car doors to protect us from impacts by legal-height bumpers. When I look at jacked up vehicles next to my Honda Civic and see the bumpers even with or higher than my head I wonder how they can be legal.

To be honest I think the concept of all bumpers matching up is just not realistic. Too many different ride heights on vehicles out there.

Even when the idiot in the old Saturn coupe ran into the front of my stock F-150 he went under my truck and basically tore off the front driverside undercarriage. No chance of our bumpers meeting ever.

jamesdak 07-01-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

You do realize that there's a legitimate need a lot of times to raise a vehicle for more ground clearance?

I just picked up a new Cherokee for use with my wildlife photography sidelife. With the knees and back getting worse I'll be driving farther into the back country than I ever have in the past. Just can't pack in 40 lbs of camera gear on my back anymore. The Jeep only has a little under 9" of ground clearance so if I have issues in the backcountry I'll be lifting it. This is just a mild example. It's not always just a "redneck gotta look cool" thing.

Heck, I've been in some cities where 9" of ground clearance isn't enough to even deal with the potholes. LOL!!!! ;)

lorenbike 07-01-2022 10:33 AM

Quote: