The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Most stylish piece of cycling kit? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246825)

XXtwindad 01-25-2020 05:52 PM

Most stylish piece of cycling kit?

1 Attachment(s)
Prompted the departure of my Rapha Paul Smith jersey, I'm wondering what people consider the most stylish piece of cycling apparel they own. I like good looking kit. I think Rapha was great back in the day, but they seemed to have lost their way when it comes to sartorial stuff.

Hard to beat Isadore and Café du Cycliste. I think they'd have to be right at the top when it comes to fashion forward cycling clothing. The Cima Coppi V4 Ultralight looks right up my alley as well. This Isadore merino membrane vest is, by far, my favorite piece of kit that I own. Looks totally bad ass off the bike.

Others?

NoMoreParagon 01-25-2020 05:55 PM

Pas Normal Studios

Really good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobydrew 01-25-2020 09:26 PM

I love my Isadore bibs and thermal long sleeve jersey. Most used pieces in my rotation this time of year.

If you're into more pieces that have more subtle designs, check out Ornot. They have a collection of "casual" clothing geared towards cycling as well.

joosttx 01-25-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon (Post 2648517)
Pas Normal Studios

Really good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find their jackets do not wick moisture that well. However, their jerseys are excellent.

I am starting to dig Velocio. I really like their high collars and beefy zippers.
Q36.5 bibs are still the best but I am considering trying Velocio
Ostory make great warm-weather jerseys.
Richard Sachs has the best caps.

scoobydrew 01-26-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2648601)

FWIW, I picked up a pair of Velocio bibs over the holidays. Only have a handful of 40-50 mile rides on them so far, but so far they're one of the most comfy bibs I've used. Quality is top notch as well.

simonov 01-26-2020 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joosttx (Post 2648601)
I find their jackets do not wick moisture that well. However, their jerseys are excellent.

I am starting to dig Velocio. I really like their high collars and beefy zippers.
Ostory make great warm-weather jerseys.
Richard Sachs has the best caps.

Velocio bibs are good. Probably not Q36.5 good, but I haven't been able to compare since I can't find them in stock in the model I want. Velocio jerseys are awesome. And the styling is really nice and clean.

macaroon 01-26-2020 04:29 AM

I'm not sure "stylish" and "cycling" should appear in the same sentence.

I've delved into instagram, and from what I've seen of the so called "stylish" cyclists...... they tend to be middle aged men with shaved legs, calf length socks, spandex and a plastic hat. When they get off the bike they waddle about like a penguin due to their silly shoes.

Occasionally there'll be an attempt to colour coordinate items of clothing with the bicycle, surely no one sane does that unless they're being paid to?

kohagen 01-26-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydrew (Post 2648639)
FWIW, I picked up a pair of Velocio bibs over the holidays. Only have a handful of 40-50 mile rides on them so far, but so far they're one of the most comfy bibs I've used. Quality is top notch as well.

Which model do you have? They have a half dozen bib shorts.

buddybikes 01-26-2020 05:58 AM

Isn't visibility kind of important doing long rides in winter?

Tickdoc 01-26-2020 06:06 AM

It's gotta be my Rapha Pantani Jersey. It's getting worn now, but I still wear it.

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ss...ght-Jersey.png

colker 01-26-2020 06:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by macaroon (Post 2648650)

I've delved into instagram, and from what I've seen of the so called "stylish" cyclists...... they tend to be middle aged men with shaved legs, calf length socks, spandex and a plastic hat. When they get off the bike they waddle about like a penguin due to their silly shoes.

Occasionally there'll be an attempt to colour coordinate items of clothing with the bicycle, surely no one sane does that unless they're being paid to?

Style is about the man. Coppi and De Vlaeminck. It does not get any better. T
Edit: i really want the Mars Flandria jersey Rdv is wearing here.

Bob Ross 01-26-2020 06:58 AM

Personally I'm of the belief that there is no cycling kit that fits the meaning of the word "stylish".

Dressing like a dork is the cost of entry into this activity, and I'm happily willing to pay that cost, but I have no illusions that anybody's cycling kit is going to make me not look like a dork and suddenly start looking like a runway model.

That being said, it's a tossup between my Assos bib shorts and my Louis Garneau bib knickers as to which piece of kit has generated the most compliments. So maybe they're my most "stylish"?

colker 01-26-2020 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DE Vlaeminck, as usual, setting the sunday mood. From the era when people had style.

joosttx 01-26-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaroon (Post 2648650)

If you read the posts above. No one here is really writing about style except the OP (and colker rehashing a tired vintage narrative). In sport function reigns over style and function becomes style.

Something I do like seeing is the groups of late 20’s and 30’s riding from the city riding through Marin. They are well kitted and it has become the singles thing to do. So, like any other activity where boys and girls meet, you definitely want to look your best.

buddybikes 01-26-2020 07:47 AM

Yikes, I had an official Flandria jersey from the 1973? team, wool. I worked at bike shop who was importer of Flandria's and I believe they may have been first team with Shimano equipment. I also (junior high school here) obtained through him Flandria Pro team bike, with 1st generation Shimano dura ace.

Think I finally disposed of the jersey while moving, 3 sizes to small now that's for sure.